It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats drop funds to close Gitmo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   

House Democrats are refusing to pay for President Barack Obama's plan to relocate prisoners from the Guantanamo detention facility where enemy combatants are being held.

source

So, are they or are they not going to close Guantanmo Bay? Nobody wants to house the prisoners and apparently, nobody wants to fund their relocation, so what's next? I don't really have an opinion on this one, except that they shouldn't be released into the general public, just pointing out the article to those interested.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I don't think he had any real notion to close GITMO. He said it as part of his campaign and within a week or so of being in the WH he said close it.

He knew there would be nowhere to put them, but atleast he attempted it right?

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate
I don't really have an opinion on this one, except that they shouldn't be released into the general public, just pointing out the article to those interested.

Your opinion seems to be that you want Guantanamo to continue, even at your expense. Wow, just wow. For a "greedy Libertarian", according to your other thread about not wanting to pay for someone else's health care.

Just like a Neocon. They love their wars and atrocities, and paying for the Military Industrial Complex, but HATE the idea of having to contribute to their own fellow people.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Do you have a proposition as to what should be done with them or did you just reply to bash me?

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Me and some of the boys have a solution. Just turn them over to us, and ask no questions.

Problem solved.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

If only, dooper

Anyway, what i meant was: my opinion doesn't really matter, they're going to do what they want with them, whether i agree or not. If you or they or whoever wants them released, fine. Just stay on topic.

TA

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

Sorry, not out to 'bash' anyone.

But, the word is that many of these people being held are innocent anyway. Tough decision.

Prove their guilt and execute.... Or LET THEM GO.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I suspect that those who remain in Gitmo are not exactly there by mistake.

Like the time I was asked to serve jury duty. Asked if I knew anyone involved in the case, or if I had any knowledge that would preclude me from coming to a fair decision, my reply was, "No, your honor, I can be fair. After all, they wouldn't be here if they weren't guilty."

And I got dismissed.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

And many that are being held are guilty also.

The tough decision now is where to put them for their trials?

President Obma said that military tribunals weren't fair for the detainees. Now it looks as if that is the way to go, because of the potential security info that could be brought up.

Republicans have said this since Obama wanted to use the civilian court system for the trials and no one would listen.

President Obama promised to close GITMO without really thinking about it and now he will have to go back on his promise and keep it open.

Republicans have been saying closing GITMO shouldn't be an option and no one would listen. Now its looking as if they were speaking the truth.

I agree, we should prove their guilt or let them go.

The problem is how are they going to go about doing that.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis
reply to post by TheAssociate

Sorry, not out to 'bash' anyone.

But, the word is that many of these people being held are innocent anyway. Tough decision.

Prove their guilt and execute.... Or LET THEM GO.

prisons are full of innocent people, ask any prisoner they will swear there innocent, We can save american tax payers billions by spending a few dollers on a length of good strong rope and Hang them all. Problem solved. Instead our president wants to release them so they are free to walk in to a super market with a bomb straped to there chest. I want 911 to happen once more it sad to see how many people forgot, once more we thing america is invincble and nothing can touch us.

Hopfully the next attack is in washington it would do this country some good!

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Verd_Vhett
prisons are full of innocent people, ask any prisoner they will swear there innocent

Obviously, you never been in the prison before. Many people there are aware why they are there and they openly admit it.

None are there without trial...

Guantanamo is NOT a prison, it is glorified Concentration Camp.

Shame that you cannot see the difference...

Originally posted by Verd_Vhett
I want 911 to happen once more

If you were Muslim (or at least have a Muslim name), and said that, Department Of Homeland Security would be on your door by now

Looks to me that no family members of yours died in 911...

I hope you will realize one day how sickening your statement was, especially to those who lost their loved ones on that very day

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
With the billions of dollars of earmarks and pet projects and wall street bailouts his fellow Dems can't come through for the President and help him fulfill one of his million campaign promises? Wow that's cold. Their no # 1 excuse of blaming the GOP won't work on this one, wonder what spin we'll hear.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Give them a trial... Most of them are innocents. So give them a trial, then those convicted, send them in high security prisons. Case closed.

They are not worst than any child rapist or serial killer out there.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
I don't think he had any real notion to close GITMO. He said it as part of his campaign and within a week or so of being in the WH he said close it.

He knew there would be nowhere to put them, but atleast he attempted it right?

Obama actually attempted what? The rest of your post makes it clear his promise to close gitmo was nothing more than political pandering.

Obama lied and the gitmo prisoners fried.

[edit on 5/5/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Hehehe. They were NEVER going to close Gitmo. It's just another example of the current party ignoring their campaign promises and continuing the status quo. Just like Bush continued from Clinton...Like a relay race. Don't know why we need more evidence for the supporters of the 2 party dictatorship to change their minds, but the more it mounts the stronger the case for a third party.

At least that's my hope.

top topics

join