It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. May Revive Guantánamo Military Courts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   

U.S. May Revive Guantánamo Military Courts

www.nytimes.com

"The Obama administration is moving toward reviving the military commission system for prosecuting Guantánamo detainees, which was a target of critics during the Bush administration, including Mr. Obama himself."

“The more they look at it,” said one official, “the more commissions don’t look as bad as they did on Jan. 20.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I thought this was interesting because of the left's opposition to this policy when W was in office. Personally, I don't have an opinion one way or the other on this. Is this a good idea by Obama, or is he breaking one of his promises?

I wonder if he'll backtrack on this if the far left gets angry. I don't know how some on the left can support this, when they were such critics of this policy in the first place. I guess this is a good way to find Obama worshipers who will makes excuses regardless of his policy.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Breaking one of his promises? How about almost all of them!

He's working for the same puppet W. did. There all the same, no reason to think any different of the left then the right. They all work for the same guy.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
Breaking one of his promises? How about almost all of them!

He's working for the same puppet W. did. There all the same, no reason to think any different of the left then the right. They all work for the same guy.

So, in other words, it was used as a political ploy by Obama. That "faux outrage" his administration has used a few times thus far. Now that he's in office, he can start saying "My mistake, you were right President Bush."

I agree they're all cut from the same cloth.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Manwin

It's easy to have ideals when there are no consequences attached. Once he stepped into the White House, he stepped into reality and all of the problems of the world. It may be that he meant all of his campaign promises at the time he made them; it's now simply a case of idealism vs. reality, and reality wins.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidLight
reply to post by Manwin

It's easy to have ideals when there are no consequences attached. Once he stepped into the White House, he stepped into reality and all of the problems of the world. It may be that he meant all of his campaign promises at the time he made them; it's now simply a case of idealism vs. reality, and reality wins.

I agree this is a case of idealism vs. reality. It's just odd how soon it's happening:

Obama is walking on thin ice with this one; no matter if he's throwing the right a bone, it doesn't matter - the right will still dislike him no matter what, and it'll be a case of "See, we told you so you naive dope." And this was one of the biggest pet peeves of the far left....he had better not take his base support for granted.

I will say, Obama changes directions like the wind.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I can imagine him setting at the resolute desk for the first time.

Someone walks in says good morning Mr. President, here is your morning brief.

He looks down at it, reads a little bit, calmly puts the report down. Calls his secretary and politely asks her to have Michelle bring down a fresh pair of slacks.

top topics

join