It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archiving Knowledge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
We have made a seed bank, so why not a knowledge bank!

Achiving knowledge is a difficult thing though. Puttig it on computers isn't good enough. Most hard drives are rated at 50 years max with a cooling system. Solid state devices also have their flaws. The most consistent way to store information has always been paper.

My way is different though. We could try storing stuff on microdots, the problem with this is that acetate can also degrade. So my final version would be laser engraved plastic. You take a very thin plastic sheet, you use a laser to engrave it as a microscopic level. Then you store them all and place microscope in the viewing area.

If we did this we could store tons of the worlds knowledge, massive amounts of science, all the main theories at the very least, culture, religion everything! Maybe this seems like a weird thread for ATS but if we're going to store seed for the future in case things go wrong then why not store knowledge? Afterall if everything breaks down then humans will be massively set back as we'll have far less fossil fuels to relie upon to get industries working again.

What does ATS think? Pointless? Stupid? All opinions welcome

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

The Internet Archive

Most people probably know it best because of their efforts to archive the internet, and the "Wayback Machine". The site is much more than that, however, as they archive written documents, music, movies, etc. I don't think it's quite up to the level you're suggesting, but it's a good start and a cool idea none-the-less.

The cool thing is it's housed at the Library of Alexandria. Granted, the LoA is just a shadow of it's former glory, and largest current archive in the world is the Library of Congress.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Heya, you might want to check this site out: Extropedia
It's a type of archive for knowledge that can be of good use, at least that's what I think. Since this is ATS you might find that stuff to be interesting as well.

join