It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good for you... Think Again!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:44 AM
link   
It seems every so often science discovers something that once was believed to be harmless, now is evil and bad for you. Sometimes it is simply shunned, other times it banned completely. Something I can think of coc aine (Coca-Cola?), alcohol (but wait we brought that one back
), cigarettes (stay 25 feet away!), DDT, freon, x-rays (I heard they used to use these in shoe stores!), headphones (you'll go deaf).

I just got to thinking about this after reading this

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Hydroxycut products, popular dietary supplements used for weight loss, have been linked to liver damage and are being recalled, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said Friday.

www.cnn.com...

My questions for you are
1) Why aren't things tested in the first place so people don't find out years later and get cancer/deaf/blind?

2) What things that we use now do you think our children will laugh at us for and think we were backwards cavemen for using? (Cell phones??)

3) What things that we think are bad for us now will be good for us in the future? Will they put the Coke back in Coca-Cola?

Ok, so what do you think?

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
The only thing that's right for humanity is clean water, proper sanitation, healthy soil, organic food, naturopathic medicine, and no vaccines.

Humanity has lived fine with organic and natural-based medicines, no antidepressants, and no vaccines, and were just fine for tens of thousands of years.

We've only been using the artificial elements that we put in our bodies for the last 80 years, maybe even only 40-50 years with the majority of the population having been vaccinated to some degree.

Artificial medicines, and eating GMO foods is something that our younger members of society is exposed at an earlier time.

There weren't much GMO foods produced when I was born (I'm 29) but now... more and more of the younger people are exposed to it more often.

What's going to happen to them and I, as we were the generation who were more exposed to the Power's That Be's unproven medical/food experiments?

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Let's face it.... Life kills you from the moment you're conceived. Therefore I believe anything in moderation. Enjoy life, love and be loved. Those three simple things will always add extra time to your life.

IRM

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I use this product for my workouts.. not to loose weight. It increases energy, gives me less of that "burn" feeling allowing me to push harder when working out and many more benefits. I'm not sure I will take any of these supplements anymore after this news.. at least until they find out what ingredient causes the damage. A lot of people at the gym use this too.. probably going to be a lot of talk there tomorrow about this when I go!

Luckily I don't have any of the symptoms: brown urine, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, stomach pain, itching and light-colored stools. So hoping I am safe.

Edit to answer the questions:

1, I'm sure they test them internally to get the maximum performance and too see if there is any immediate or short term side-effects. But the long term testing is usually not done on drugs like these. I'm guessing because if they test it over years they run the risk of a competitor beating them to the market.

2, Not too sure.. if you look at what you used 50 years ago and see what we still use now you'd get an idea. A lot of the things we use now will be old to them. Especially our grandchildren and their children.

3, Maybe marijuana, medical study after medical study comes out showing new benefits of this herb in different areas of medicine. I don't think coc aine will make it back in coca-cola tho.

[edit on 2-5-2009 by SecretUsername]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by oneinthesame
I just got to thinking about this after reading this

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Hydroxycut products, popular dietary supplements used for weight loss, have been linked to liver damage and are being recalled, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said Friday.

www.cnn.com...

My questions for you are
1) Why aren't things tested in the first place so people don't find out years later and get cancer/deaf/blind?

2) What things that we use now do you think our children will laugh at us for and think we were backwards cavemen for using? (Cell phones??)

3) What things that we think are bad for us now will be good for us in the future? Will they put the Coke back in Coca-Cola?

Hydroxycut is "a popular dietary supplements used for weight loss."

Companies that want to get drugs onto the market and want to sneak around the FDA sell it as "dietary supplements." They don't have to prove the research they claim for it (as long as they put a teeny 6-point disclaimer on it), they don't have to do strict product testing and prove that the supplement contains what they say it does (homeopathic remedies may contain nothing more than water and a flavoring.)

The FDA never had a hand in them.

The FDA steps in when doctors start reporting that patients are coming in very ill (or dead) and this supplement was one that they were taking. If there's enough of a "smoking gun" out there, the FDA will pull it from the shelves.

This wasn't a "big pharma" thing. It was a "natural food supplement."

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by oneinthesame

Very good cigars and 18 year old scotch.....

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Hydroxycut is "a popular dietary supplements used for weight loss."

I used ephedrine for years before it became a popular diet pill. We called it "The Stack" small amounts of ephedrine, one aspirin (willow bark) and a cup of coffee. It was extremely good in giving energy and increasing metabolism, but people abused it and were taking 10 times or more than what they really needed that resulted in heart problems and other issues.
So I think in just about everything it is all about moderation.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
You know what burns my a$$. Supplement makers can get beat up, but where is the justice with Big Pharma and their destructive medicatious? I've watched a girls life get dismantled by a Psychiatrist and associated medications, but this is all legal. And the drugs just keep on coming, even with reported cases of death. But, it's ok as long as they print a message that you might die as a result of taking the medication.

I've seen a natural form of a B vitamin get banned. Are you freakin' kidding?

My question is, what are the circumstances where Hydroxycut "damaged" people? Were they over-using it? Is it just certain people with some sort of disorder that can't tolerate it, you know, like peanuts? Were they using it with something else, like a drug that created the problem? Did Hydroxycut really and truly cause these problems?

Big Pharma can screw us repeatedly, but only suffer minor setbacks if people complain enough.

Troy

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by cybertroy

You're totally right. A few years back I had a mild depression and my doctor put me on an antidepressant (Effexor). Worked for about a month before I started to get very angry and even violent. I would lash out at people about anything. I didn't read the side effects on the bottle at all until I noticed it. Found this list online:

Effexor

All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Effexor:

Anxiety; blurred vision; changes in taste; constipation; decreased sexual desire or ability; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; flushing; headache; increased sweating; loss of appetite; nausea; nervousness; stomach upset; trouble sleeping; vomiting; weakness; weight loss; yawning.

Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Effexor:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); bizarre behavior; blood in the stool; chest pain or discomfort; confusion; decreased urination; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; memory problems; new or worsening aggressiveness, agitation, hostility, impulsiveness, inability to sit still, irritability, panic attacks, or restlessness; persistent or severe ringing in the ears; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe or persistent anxiety, nervousness, or trouble sleeping; severe or persistent cough; severe or persistent headache, dizziness, stomach pain, or weakness; shortness of breath; significant weight loss; suicidal thoughts or attempts; tremor; trouble concentrating; unsteadiness or loss of coordination; unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual or severe mental or mood changes; vision problems; worsening of depression.

www.drugs.com...

I sure would never have taken it if I had known that it would happen, but I would think that most of us think that none of this will ever happen to us and that the doc knows best. Even now reading the side effects on a tylenol bottle scare me. Wonder if I could sue? Vioxx style...

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Man, that's a monster list of possible side effects. I'm just glad I never put myself in the position to get medicated.

I think folks like you should get together and voice your side effects, and make sure you are heard. I'm not big on the suing thing, but these companies deserve it for hurting people like they are.

These drugs are "criminal."

It's a nutty world we live in sometimes.

Troy

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
The FDA does not need to review and approve these herbal supplement products. This is a big problem for people who trust these companies who sell their snake oil to the gullible masses with effective retail packaging and successful marketing techniques.

I know an employee of a very popular nutrition center and she has great reservations with selling products the way they ask her to. They want her to promote disinformation to keep their numbers up.

Lastly, everything is bad for you to some degree. As most people know, you can even overdose on water. The key is moderation. Self-control is something most people in our society have lost the ability to exercise.

posted on May, 5 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Until the FDA isn't corrupt, I don't want their fingers in my supplements anyway. I don't trust the FDA, they haven't earned trust.

While it's true, there are worthless supplements out there, I don't know anyone personally, that I can say, yes, this or that supplement hurt them.

I can't say the same for Big Pharma's products.

Our problem is a corrupt FDA, who would screw it's own citizens, so it can pocket some "hush" money.

I know there may be some natural substances that could cause harm if mis-used. Sure.

However, until the FDA decides to be honest, I do not trust their judgement on my supplements.

Troy

[edit on 5-5-2009 by cybertroy]

posted on May, 8 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Wow reading that list of side effects makes me so happy I got off Effexor when I could. I couldn't sit still, lost all sexual desire, couldn't sleep, constantly sweating and was paranoid of everything to the point I couldn't leave my house. I am just so glad I stopped taking it!

top topics

join