It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you LOVE about America

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
In an effort to be fair and balanced I posed this question. Too often we focus on negatives; news is like that, all stories of crime and sorrow. Good news is boring news I guess.

I think I love the people of this country; the ones who get up every day and go to work and use the freedoms America has and do the best they can for their family.

Why is the US so strong, while other more established countries have fallen behind? It cannot be just natural resources, intelligence or the distance from Europe and their wars.

It has to be the people...

Variable

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I Like America because they used to be part of our country

And we still get along well

we also share the same language

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Noramlly, I'd have to say NASCAR, but since Feffy Gordon won Talladega, I can't say I'm too happy with it.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I like walking into a grocery store and standing for about ten minutes looking at the drink refrigerator, so much to choose from. The incredible amount of choices is unmatched anywhere else in the world, you can get anything in America. The bigger the city, the more options you have.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Oh, man, insite, how very correct you are!
I drove trucks OTR for a few years, and travelled over ever lower 48 except Washington, and the food options are incredible. My favorite town for dining was Chicago. Whatever you want, you'll find dozens of offerings! I'm surprised folks in Cicago aren't 400lbs!

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
the choices.

i love knowing i can choose to speak out against or for my government with out fear.

i love knowing i can say anything or nothing at all.

i love knowing i can practice any religion i want or not if i so choose.

i can live whereever i want with whoever i want.

i can eat whatever i want, drink whatever i want.

i love knowing i can think whatever i want, believe whatever i want and no matter how ignorant, stupid, silly or goofy it may be noone can stop me.

i can say the pledge of allegiance with or without "under god" if i so choose without taking that choice from someone else. (for the time being anyway)

i can vote for whoever i want for whatever reason i feel is justified.

regardless of the doom and gloom squad that roams this board this country still has many rights. some rights we arent quite aware of as being rights as we exercise them daily without a second thought, the right to choose.

life is a series of choices, some are more limited than others and others are more broad sweeping than we'll ever truly know but we as humans have the right to choose many things in our life and america is the country that lets us make the most choices although admittedly it doesnt seem like it sometimes. appearances are deceiving however and we have the ability to choose in any situation we are in. stay or leave, live or die, learn or be illiterate, drunk or sober, go to work or be lazy...the choices are endless sometimes.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Food being available , "freedom", andbeing able to say want u want about bush and being able to walk down the street without being blown up by suicide bombers

i will now excersise my freedom to say what i want about bush " bush is a nimrod, a nincompoop, and a stupid idiot. he can eat my fart."
yup i just said that and i cant be arrested for it

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
The amount of freedom we have, the different kinds of food within our reach and other things I can't think of right now.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
eat my fart george bush u r stupid and u r stupid because u r stupid

see that is wat i like i can say that and not be arrested

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Well, since the mods aren't bothered by this thread. I'll put in my 2 cents again:

I love the fact that we began the ending to all slavery in the civilized world through Abe Lincoln's precious words.

I love the fact that people like Martin Luther King jr. can do what he did, and not be arrested. (For those of you who didn't know, MLK ALWAYS got the proper permits, etc. so none of his marches were illegal.) To demonstrate peacfully, and change a country.

I love the fact that in the US, the whole country can be revolutionized through peaceful demonstrations, such as MLK.

I love the fact that we were the first nation on the face of the planet to have a complete change in government, one leader replacing another who did not want to step down, without any violence. A peaceful transition of power. We were first to do it, and continue to do so today.

I love the fact that America has such a rich history despite it only being 200 years old.

I love the fact that America has gone from a piddling few colonies fighting by the skin of their teeth for independance to the world's only superpower in a mere 200 years.

I love the fact that America's culture has infiltrated all countries throughout the world, not because it's forced on them, but because they want to make it part of their own culture (except France )

I love the fact that you don't have to be afraid when you get the government's attention, such as by reporting a crime or filing a lawsuit as you do in other countries sometimes. Here, in the US, the government can't do a background check on you for reporting a crime and then arrest you for something you did.

I love that you're presumed innocent until you're proven guilty. A Russian friend of mine told me it's the opposite in Russia, and as a result, most of the time, when you're accused, you're hosed, because you have to create a case the shows beyond a shadow of doubt that you're innocent. From a prison cell.

Another thing I love about this country: The freedom of religion. The freedom to practice any religion we choose to, from Christianity to Satinism. Any religion, and we are allowed to follow those aspects of our religion, even if they violate the law.

I love the fact that we can walk down our streets, generally, and not have to fear for our lives, worried soldiers may shoot us, or the police will drive by and take us out. I love our sense of security.

I love our diversity. We have peoples from every nation on earth. And they work together to form the glue which keeps our great nation together.

I love the fact that we have every climate in the world within our borders. We have polar weather in Alaska, we've got equatorial weather in Hawii, we've got deserts, forests, mountains, swamplands, rivers, lakes, plains, and hills. And our people live in all of them, increasing our diversity while still bringing us closer together.

I love the love Americans have for one another, even if they don't always like eachother. When there is a major crisis, we cease the bickering and pull together. As Admiral Yamamoto said, "I fear we have awoken a sleeping giant, and filled it with a terrible resolve."

I love the determination of Americans. When we put our minds to do something, we do it. We developed the Jeep because we put our minds to it. We connected the country with railroads because we put our minds to it. We went to the moon (this isn't a hoax thread, we'll talk in one of the 36,000 moon landing faked threads) because we wanted to.

I love how much America and Americans cherish human life. Though we know there can and will be sacrifices in conflicts such as the Gulf Wars, Vietnam, World Wars, Korea, etc. we still morn for those we lost. Not just the families, but the entire nation.

I love America's universal education. Every man and woman, regardless of creed or race, is entitled to education.

I love the incredible amount of foodstuffs in America. America has the highest potential of any country in the world to produce food, and there are so many different ways we prepare it! You can walk down the street in Chicago, and see one vender selling corn dogs across the street from a prestigious French resteraunt which is next door to a Burger King, which is next door from a Chinese resteraunt, which is across the street from a Greek resteraunt.

I love the fact that we can criticize our government, our president, our judges, our congressmen, etc. and not worry about some secret police force coming to our door and taking us away for torture or execution...Which brings me to my next point:

I love the fact that torture is outlawed for ALL crimes. There is nothing you can do in America, from running a red light to trying to start a revolution, which will get you tortured in this great nation.

www.snopes.com...

Check out that farm! Only in America...

[Edited on 4-25-2004 by junglejake]

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Now its not too often you'll hear me posting anything good about the US of A so cherish this moment people...

Good Points on the States...

1. The people i've met from there are cool...
2. Spring break looks like it kicks the crap out of schoolies week (our version of young'uns getting drunk and #ing their brains out)
3. Pennywise, NOFX, and Rancid are american... and they rule...
4. And apparantly your chicks really dig guys from Australia... thats a good thing for me...

As to how the USA got really powerful...

They used isolation tactics through most of the 19th century... while the powers of Europe were busy kncking each other senseless the Americans were sitting back and building themselves up.

Then came WW1, at first the USA sold arms to all the nations in the build up (being neutral thats A-OK to do) and they stayed neutral untill the German U-boats sunk the Lusitania (or sometinh similar) an american passenger liner... so they Americans came in and the Extra numbers behind the English and French helped win the war... America suffered little from this war while the European nations had to rebuild (especially France and belgium)...

American then loaned alot of money to the Weimar (german) republic and other european nations and made a killing of those...

Then WW2 came along and once again the USA stayed out unitll they were attacked (pearl harbour)... when this war was over, the USA had once again suffered little and the European nations were mightily screwed... so thats the story of the USA recent rise to power...

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   

i love knowing i can choose to speak out against or for my government with out fear.

tell that to howard stern and entainers in general that are getting fined for doing there job, entertaining! i can see the problem with 'questionable' material being around kids, like the superbowl incident. but really, when you turn on howard stern you know what your in for.

what i like about america? well let me say what i like about the 'constitutional' american as written, would be the comfort of having a retirement and having equal treatment no matter who you are. but between social secuity on a dive and the christian rightwing movement i see these two dreams fading quickly

[Edited on 25-4-2004 by Strigoi]

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
America also made a whole boat load of musical genres.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   
ummmmmmm - can you say NFL?

I am addicted - I even watch the frigging draft! My eagles are going to win the Super Bowl this year with Kearse and T.O. added to D Mac and company!

SpecialAsianX - seems like you like our Cali punk seen - I was real into that back when I had time to skate and surf rather then study and work

other things......
I gotta say, I dunno why everyone thinks we are so fat (IMHO - it's just old people who stop caring about their body) cause our woman are hot (well, at least the ones I get
).

I love good old detroit muscle - theres nothing like the sound of a V8!

Victory Brewing company! If you like beer, check them out - some of the best beer you will ever have.

Being able to own as many guns as I do, and having the freedom to get more if I want.

I'll think of more later.....

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by thebeagle
America also made a whole boat load of musical genres.

To true to true O.K most good metal bands come from the States like EyeHateGod, Mortician Anal # well these are good IMO.

So thanx America.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I love the fact that the best things from all over the world seem to make it here like different foods, booze, styles, etc.

I love the fact that in my little home town I can speak to people from EVERYWHERE that have come to MY home seeking a better life

I love the fact that I can call bush an asshole and not fear for my life

I cannot begin to count the things I love about this place

I know we are far from perfect but I love the fact that we even try to be and the fact that we are not is all most of us can bitch about

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by machinegunjordan
Food being available , "freedom", andbeing able to say want u want about bush and being able to walk down the street without being blown up by suicide bombers

i will now excersise my freedom to say what i want about bush " bush is a nimrod, a nincompoop, and a stupid idiot. he can eat my fart."
yup i just said that and i cant be arrested for it

You are absolutely right. You have just proven that in this beautiful country, each and every citizen has the right to be as stupid as they can be!

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
U.S. military is top-notch, relying more on technology than brute force.

U.S. has so many selections of Vodka

posted on Apr, 27 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Harleys, rollercoasters, American football, NASCAR, Chicago dogs with a pickle spear, Coca Cola, The 63 split window vette, Las Vegas, Tim Mcgraw, Polaris ATVs, NASA, Jay Leno, Marlboro, Bud Light at a bowling alley, Star Trek, Smith & Wesson, the whole state of Hawaii, Stephen King, 70's SNL (the land shark), Johnny Cash, ATMs, fireworks on the 4th, girls with southern accents, Times Square.......

And the freedoms we have that make it all possible!

posted on Apr, 28 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
- i have freedom to choose who i will fall in love and get married

- i love how theres so much ethnic diversity

- i love i can have more then one child with government
oppression (COUGH CHINA!!! COUGH)

- i love to choose whichever religion that fits me

- since theres so much ignorant people that live here, i
love to prove them wrong

- i have the freedom to read controversial books, music, arts, movies and tv shows

- but most important of all, i love the freedom to life

<<   2 >>

join