It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you all think about Wiccans?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
This Thread all i am asking is for your opinions on Wiccans.

You can add conspiracies and such as well i dont mind.

Make it a conversation

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I think Wiccans are people, like everybody else.

Same humans, different beliefs.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Shoomoo

I quite like them....couldn't eat a whole one, but they're sweet enough in their own little Gardnerian way.

But then....I'm pagan, and pagan and Wiccan are not the same. The might think worse of me.....

What do *you* think of Wiccans, since you started the thread? Are you Wiccan? I'm interested to hear...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Im wiccan, and i think they are the least competitive of religions.

I see Catholics, Atheism, and Muslim Religions bash on others, but I see Wiccans, just chilling really

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Shoomoo

Wiccans are cool and they are a form of Paganism. I am a Pagan like Caitlinfae, but do not consider myself to be a Wiccan.

Goddess Bless

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Can someone explain for me the difference between Wiccans and pagans? I have had some Wiccan friends, and I thought their beliefs were pretty cool. Seems like the Wiccans are more into the Earth Mother Goddess, but pagans seem more diversified, drawing on more ancient religions/customs. Or am I simplifiying things?

Also, what is a "green witch", and how does that differ from a regular witch/Wiccan?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Charis
Can someone explain for me the difference between Wiccans and pagans? I have had some Wiccan friends, and I thought their beliefs were pretty cool. Seems like the Wiccans are more into the Earth Mother Goddess, but pagans seem more diversified, drawing on more ancient religions/customs. Or am I simplifiying things?

In short, Wicca is a specific religion. Paganism, however, is an umbrella term which technically(technically, because many people will, for one reason or another, not identify with that term) includes all non-JCI beliefs.

It's important to remember that pagan is merely an exclusionary term that basically assumes everything revolves around the JCI traditions, and simply denotes what a belief system is not. Simply saying someone is "pagan" is like saying that person's not a cat. By itself, it means very little.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by Core90]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Wicca to me, is a catch all term that covers a lot of pagan style religions.
Since in general practice it doesn't have much of a formal structure, it seems to have almost as many derivatives as the major religion, despite only being around a short time.
As for how I feel about it personally, I think it's cool some people have found something that satisfies their beliefs.
I have a few friends who are practicing Wiccans, and they seem like pretty goof folk.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Charis

Also, what is a "green witch", and how does that differ from a regular witch/Wiccan?

As I understand it, a Green Witch is one who tends to use plants in her or his work, like healing, for example. Think of the Green Witch as the Gardening Witch

Pagan is a term used like Christianity. One can be a catholic, protestant, Lutheran, episcopalian, etc, and still fall under the term Christian. Pagans can be Wiccans, Green Witches, Druids, Shamans, etc. There are even Kitchen Witches! (yum!)

There are also types of Pagans who are labeled "eclectic". Like me
I tend to dabble in a little of everything because that is what is right for me.

In my opinion, that is the great thing about Pagan paths: harm to none, after that, your path is your own. There is no right or wrong, just whatever feels "right" to you.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alora
In my opinion, that is the great thing about Pagan paths: harm to none, after that, your path is your own. There is no right or wrong, just whatever feels "right" to you.

That's really nice, but if your concept of harm is based on the very narrow perspective of modern society, then you also end up with nothing.

I'll cite one example: "Everyone's desire to get rich and experience extravagant lifestyles". If I take the view of modern society, you can indeed get rich without firing a bullet, without breaking any law, without hurting anyone... You can do it right...

But if I take a wider perspective, this is when we see the bigger picture of things. It's not always good to get rich, not only for yourself but the whole world. It perpetuates covetousness. It perpetuates materialism and greed. And the Earth could only sustain much. The more we fight for more property, the more intense competition becomes. Life becomes harder. Families are wrecked, people become more violent. Sorrow becomes commonplace.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Charis

Wiccans are Pagans, but Pagans are not necessarily Wiccans. The Wiccan way is more of a practice, but it can be different to each person who practices it. I consider myself to be Pagan, but also have many Wiccan friends. I have learned a lot from them, and they also learn from what I have to say.

The only real difference may come down to rituals done by the Wiccans (although not all Wiccans have the same type of rituals).

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
when the man is righteouss as is with God, he will stepswise prevail and overcome.

"Rykers" Betrayal as drugs, tell you to.. how can you believe this is true.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by etherical waterwave
when the man is righteouss as is with God, he will stepswise prevail and overcome.

"Rykers" Betrayal as drugs, tell you to.. how can you believe this is true.

What? I don't understand what you are angry about. And help a girl out, what is a Ryker?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I believe wiccans to be as deluded as any religionite. To me they are no different, the worship a god/goddess, practice spells etc with the belief that they are somehow affecting the world around them (similar to prayer) while in essence they do absolutely nothing.

However I do prefer the pagan religions to the rest of the religions that are around mainly due to the natural connotations.

Please note the above views are not meant to insult or offend but are offered as my interpretation and understanding or lack thereof of religious practice. To me all religions make no sense and are therefore dismissed as nonsensical.

G

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by shihulud

Not at all friend. It's a fine and natural idea what you stated here. Frankly I can't prove to you what I feel. The important thing here is that I completely and utterly respect your right to feel that way and I feel the validity you have in your statement. Just because I don't believe as you do doesn't mean there can't be understanding.

-Kyo

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by KyoZero
reply to post by shihulud

Not at all friend. It's a fine and natural idea what you stated here. Frankly I can't prove to you what I feel. The important thing here is that I completely and utterly respect your right to feel that way and I feel the validity you have in your statement. Just because I don't believe as you do doesn't mean there can't be understanding.

-Kyo
I quite agree, you understand what your religion stands for and means as does any other person with faith in a religious endeavour.
I even understand why people choose to believe what they do - its just that I don't believe in any religion due to the fact that none of them make any sense - and believe me I have tried to make sense of them but there are always many aspects of each religion that my brain chooses to dig its heels in and say "No, I don't agree with this or that". I find religion totally incomprehensible to the point where I don't even ask "Why this or why that?" anymore. I am quite happy without any religion in my life.

G

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shoomoo
This Thread all i am asking is for your opinions on Wiccans.

You can add conspiracies and such as well i dont mind.

Make it a conversation

I like their beliefs. Its nice, makes you feel like life is a fairy tale. I dislike the exclusion of men (from what I've seen) in it.

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
It's weird Miraj, but although Paganism is maternally based, I can honestly say I have never been outcasted yet. Though that is just me of course. I've even been brought to play the Green King for a circle a couple of times.

-Kyo

posted on Apr, 30 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

The Green Man is a nature God, and he is prevalent in most beliefs. I do think there are many Gods out there (Osiris, Hermes/Thoth etc), but the Mother Goddess is the creator of life. Paganism has always been maternalistic, but that does not keep men out of it.

[edit on 4/30/2009 by kidflash2008]

new topics

top topics

join