It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boolean Search - For The Results.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Well, there are times that the new search has worked very well for me and times that the new search was fighting me.

Apparently this may be true for many as I have read comments on this.

I started this thread as a community practice, discussion, and hint-base on practical and effective search application.

I do believe the new search is probubly better than many people realize, but without practice or knowledge it may seem cumbersome.

I am looking for hints and suggestions to make this a viable tool for all. Lets try to figure this thing out. I know the instruction is there and it should be easier than we are making it out to be, so whadda-ya think?

First thing, someone give an example that they struggled with, and how they ultimatly succeeded.

[Edited on 25-4-2004 by smirkley]

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I'm working on the search right now, and there are two things that will help this discussion... 1) Any boolean search works much more effectively with two or more search terms. 2) I'm adding a function that saves all your searches, so you'll be able to post failed or successful searches as URL's in this thread.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Well I just tried hint #1 from SO, and yes it does work better, and I hadnt considered before that this helps.
(course this was printed on the search page, and I never read it...duh-oh!)

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I found this website helpful

florin.syr.edu...

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
A URL to access the search you performed is indicated at the bottom of the search results. The next addition is to allow you to access all your saved searches, and show the query structure in the search results, so that people you give the link to can see what terms you used.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
When I just clicked on "Search", I got this

Parse error: parse error in /home/abovetopsecret/public_html/forum/misc.php on line 159

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Was adding some new code... better now.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Thanks, I really like that saved searches page. Can you clear it, or does it go on per session?

BTW, as I become more familiar with the boolean search, it starts to make more sense. It does sense to be more accurate as I learn how to use it correctly

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Excellent add-on !

This may be the very tool to use to help identify where the difficulties may be occuring.

Thanks 2 tons!

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
The saved search wasn't saving the boolean modfiers correctly. That's been fixed, and the saved searches should perform as expected now.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Thought I'd give it a test...

Word 1 - boolean
Word 2 - search
Word 3 - results

(no modifiers used)

Thread Posts only..
www.abovetopsecret.com... h=66

Thread Subject Lines Only..
www.abovetopsecret.com... h=68

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
So now that we have a way to review saved searches... if anyone thinks they've received less-than-expected results from a Boolean Query in the new search tool, please post your saved-search link in this thread, and we can help you improve your boolean technique.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 05:00 AM
link   
OK, same search as I did above but,...

modifier - REQ on all words.
(topic posts only)

www.abovetopsecret.com... ch=301

And subject lines only...

www.abovetopsecret.com... ch=307

The more I practice the easier and logical it seems.

Notice the relevency of the results this time.

***well the second search was perfect by subject line, but the save search didnt happen just right, if you try the search by the perameters above, it works perfectly***

[Edited on 26-4-2004 by smirkley]

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   
FYI - SkepticO,...

The second search above searching for the particular words as described, searching subject lines only, will work perfectly in results (w/modifiers also described above) BUT the saved search link for this particular type search, will not save the data that should be brought back up with the link.

Used the REQ modifier on all words.

I tried it a couple of times this morning and afternoon to verify this.

[Edited on 26-4-2004 by smirkley]

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I would recommend that the modifier default to REQ on words entered in the search.

I did a search earlier for CAPPS and it came up empty.
After creating a post mentioning CAPPS, the search still came back empty.

When I did a search for CAPPS for the first word and passengers for the second, it came back with posts that did not include both words until I used the REQ dropdown.

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
AceOfBase, not a bad idea, or maybe the first two word slots modifier default REQ and the second two undefined? or something like that.

Probubly many people expect to enter the word in the box and hit enter,...not considering the modifier at all. (I do this often).

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 04:28 PM
link   
How about adding Google search to the site?
It has it's drawback with regards to recent posts but it could still be helpful in searching, especially for one word searches.

www.google.com...

I noticed that the REQ is now set as default.
Thanks.

[Edited on 26-4-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Has anyone tried using different modifiers on different words on the same search?

I have been playing around a bit with this but am wondering if there are any benefit for this?

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 03:35 AM
link   
The search function has stopped working for me.

Up until a couple of days ago I could re-read any thread I had participated in simply by typing my member name into the box and altering the search date to "last day".

I can still use the search function by putting in keywords but this doesn't help me unless I can remember exactly what was wirtten in the desired thread and it's a pain in the ass having to trawl the forums for threads where I want to reply to earlier statements.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller Up until a couple of days ago I could re-read any thread I had participated in simply by typing my member name into the box and altering the search date to "last day".
There's an even easier way to review threads you have participated in... just click on the MyATS at the top... You have two options in MyATS: 1- To the right, all your subscribed threads... which are any thread you've posted in. 2- To the middle and left, you can subscribe to forums, and use this page to review most recent threads in each forum.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join