It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Superweed' explosion threatens Monsanto heartlands

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Superweed' explosion threatens Monsanto heartlands

www.france24.com

The gospel of high-tech genetically modified (GM) crops is not sounding quite so sweet in the land of the converted. A new pest, the evil pigweed, is hitting headlines and chomping its way across Sun Belt states, threatening to transform cotton and soybean plots into weed battlefields.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
You would think that the experience of seeing superbugs arise from the overuse of antibiotics would have made these geniuses realize that living systems are adaptable, when you introduce a change into the system, the system responds in ways that are beyond your control.

Corporate greed inevitably leads to stupid science which leads to human suffering. This should be the wake up call to stop deploying GM products until we understand that he *snip* we are doing.

www.france24.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

*Staff Edit:Please do not evade the automatic censors

[edit on 4/23/09 by niteboy82]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by metamagic

I have to laugh at this one, the super monster Monsanto and their super muscle seeds and crops has been playing with mother nature for far too long now is pay back baby, their disregard for the repercussions of what they are doing is creating super steroid weeds alone with their super steroid crops.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I am entirely surprised by this outbreak and did not expect that plant life could adapt in the same way as other organisms to new threats. Yes.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
We humans might be powerless against monsanto but nature without any lawyers has her own way of dealing with them.

Haha screw you monsanto!!

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Yeah I would think this is a side effect from messing with nature when you're not supposed to, along with a big karma hit. I hope the crop and company fails, then we can get back to the way things were before. Genetic modification to crops should be illegal worldwide IMO.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Estharik

That would be a good end to the Monsanto monster but what they are doing is actually putting in danger the rest of the small farmers out there that grow organic crops.

A supper weed will kill everything.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
But wait.. there's more!

SUPER ROUNDUP. DEVELOPED TO COMBAT SUPER WEEDS.

Sigh.. it never ends. Monsatan needs to stop *snip* with my food. Hopefully more wake up to the fact that weight of crop over nutricinal value is a waste of time and that GM seeds don't save you in the long run.

Grow natural, eat natural, feel natural. Pretty simple eh...

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 4/23/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

This is true, even if Monsanto falls there will still be the next problem of the super weed they've created. I don't know about super roundup but there might be one possible solution... *loads up the flamethrower*

Maybe we can get another company to create a super insect that only eats the super weeds? I really don't have a clue how to deal with it, I'm just being silly...

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Where are all the Environmentalists and Greenies when you really want them?
Too bad they are fighting a nonexistent threat - global warming - and not focusing on the truly important issues.
Something important like the food we, and I assume them and their kids, eat.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
How funny are the Monsanto stooges in the comments section - its the soils fault for not being rich in hummus not Monsanto, its the farmers fault for not rotating, its the Green Lobby's fault for posting the truth, its the farmers fault for not using alternative fertilisers - TRY MIXING IT WITH 2,4-D ......a known cause of cancer and birth defects....OMG.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty
Too bad they are fighting a nonexistent threat - global warming - and not focusing on the truly important issues.

Nope right here to ensure idiots like Monsanto are kept in line......great call on the global warming thread - come up with that yourself ? Super duper stuff, somewhere between creationism and scientology - so true - I mean why hasn't one of the hundreds of thousands of scientists on this planet thought maybe its just a natural cycle, how could they have all missed that glaringly obvious and mind numbingly simple consideration - how could ever single one of them all agree that it is due to the mans impact rather than the fundamentally really obvious natural cycle of the planet - I mean thank god there is someone on this conspiracy forum smart enough to think of this himself. GEEEEESH - lucky. We should email some of these scientists and let them know you figured it out. Way to go.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
This is hilarious....I can't believe this hadn't hit me or anyone else, we forget that even though a plant doesn't move like us or acts like an animal, that little thing is alive. Earth has taken a pounding by us and well...I think she's ready for payback.

Whatever Monsanto does, it's apparent that they're screwed in the end since Earth won't take it's S.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by jBrereton

Denying ignorance!

S+F.

You can only screw with Mother Nature for so long before she starts playing hard ball. What did they expect to happen? Life carry on as if nothing happened?

Scientists for all their apparent genius and intellect can be really bloody stupid sometimes!

Payback this certainly is.

NATURE 1 ---- 0 MONSANTO

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
That X-Files ep about super insects that evolved because of GM tobacco plants and live in smokers' lungs comes to mind.

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Atlasastro: god damn I was bummed! I DID think this thread was to do with some awesome hydro or some respective!
Monsanto is the Worst company ever! My country, South Africa, signed agreement with them in 1997, and only recently have I noticed the change in trend. Local farmers in a 15- 30 kilometre radius from my house have recently started agreements with these swine. the most sad part is that they, the farmers, who are rural and mostly illiterate, state that they need not worry about tomorrow, they only worry about feeding their children today. Understandable. yet they are uneducated about such matters as most 3rd world situations are. This trend of 'super weeds has not taken off here yet but it will...
Ultimately, Monsanto and their cronies need to be stopped and put to justice!
God damn! keep protest alive!!!

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
the ironic thing about this is that pigweed is edible. One type of pigweed, purslane is very high in omega 3 fatty acids even higher than flaxseed. The seeds of palmer amaranth pigweed has been used in flour for centuries.

www.healthrecipes.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by elusivetruth
the ironic thing about this is that pigweed is edible. One type of pigweed, purslane is very high in omega 3 fatty acids even higher than flaxseed. The seeds of palmer amaranth pigweed has been used in flour for centuries.

www.healthrecipes.com...
\

that is all fine and well, but this mecha pigweed may just eat you.

nol

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flighty

So true, and what a shame too! We have got to fight this evil Monsanto, this weed plant mutation was known about for years, and in California at U. C. Davis University there has been ongoing knowledge of this threat!

Monsanto knew about this years ago, and this is how they have killed off the crops in India, and are planning on creating a world wide famine!

Damn is right!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join