It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama urges citizens to undertake 'national service'

page: 1/
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Obama urges citizens to undertake national service

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – Calling on Americans to volunteer, President Barack Obama signed a $5.7 billion national service bill Tuesday that triples the size of the AmeriCorps service program over the next eight years and expands ways for students to earn money for college. "What this legislation does, then, is to help harness this patriotism and connect deeds to needs," said Obama, a former community organizer in Chicago.

"It creates opportunities to serve for students, seniors and everyone in between," he said. "And it is just the beginning of a sustained, collaborative and focused effort to in
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-4-2009 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Here it comes people!

Get ready to be indoctrinated into "service" whether you want to or not.

This is how it all begins, and I have no doubt that this will escalate into totalitarian, big brother in-your-face, "you do as you're told" nonsense the likes of which we have never seen in our lifetimes.

I'm sure I will be labled an alarmist and the usual bunch will chime in with "there's nothing to see here, move on" as usual, but this "movement" gives me quite the uneasy feeling, to say the least, particularly when I see all the different moves this admin is making, and who they are hiring to their teams, etc., etc....

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Taking into consideration the state of affairs in this nation with the blatant disregard of American tax payer rights while the inequality in the nation keeps growing, this is the best attempt to keep the masses obligated to the Federal government for survival.

You will not be anybody if you don't serve the Federal government in some capacity anybody that will not submit to the obligations will be in the back list.

What the government gets is a database of those that are "friendly and supportive to the power"

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Sure. I'm still waiting for the Peace Corps to fulfill it's dastardly promise of becoming the "Slave Corps" in which American citizens are forced overseas to work as slave labor under the guise of paying off our debts while setting up the infrastructure to the NWO.

Since when did "Ask not what what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country", turn into fears of forced labor, communism, and other such paranoia?

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
HAVE YOU SEEN THE MOVIE "VALKARIE" if not go see it. Hitler set up a division/Unit to protect him-Like a national Guard. Only he or one other person could give orders to them, not even the Army Generals had command over them.

Hitler did this in case someone tried to overthrow him.

This sounds like what Obama is trying to do, or rather those behind him Pulling the strings. The only difference is that this will be a Civillian force.

Whatever plan these people have up the line, i think they not secure that the Millitary will all agree and follow them. So the next best thing is have a Civillian force ready on stand by to take over the roll.

Is is very Bad for the country and could result in "civil war". Congress should not pass it. or if its signed get it removed.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by SharkBait]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lasheic

Since when did "Ask not what what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country", turn into fears of forced labor, communism, and other such paranoia?

When the servitute is "mandatory" by law.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

And just where is it explicitly stated (or even hinted at) that this service is mandatory? So far, I just see a whole bunch of speculation and fear-mongering. I guess it could have the "potential" to become mandatory, just as the Peace Corps has the potential for mandatory service.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Obama on Tuesday also nominated Nike Inc. vice president Maria Eitel to lead the federal agency that oversees the country's national service programs.

When I do "volunteer services" I never had any "federal agency" breathing down my back for my services.

You make your own opinion I already have mine.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
As usual the fear mongering of fringers that once dictated the previous administration has now found itself being chased onto the net and limited to spreading its "words" to the conspiracy realms. Nobody is being forced to carry out public service, thats a blown out lie, just like all the other lies being spread.

The truth is all these accusations coming from fringers thus far is speculation, just like everything else, just like the "gun war" garbage, just like the "civil war" garbage and the birth certificate garbage. Its all just speculative garbage, and its apparent folks are more than happy to jump the gun. Now if you dont want to participate in public service, dont participate, but please dont cry that the sky is falling everytime somebody is "talking" about something, or what some blog/website speculates, dont we get enough of that already?

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
Here it comes people!

Its always been coming. You'v been standing at the beach for years telling us a tsunami was coming, we are still waiting.

Nobody has been forced to do anything liar.

This is how it all begins,

Its been "beginning" for months now, nothing has happened, and there is still no evidence anybody has been forced to carry out public service.

and I have no doubt that this will escalate into totalitarian, big brother in-your-face, "you do as you're told" nonsense the likes of which we have never seen in our lifetimes.

Nothing has happened, nobody has been forced to do anything.

I'm sure I will be labled an alarmist

Thats because you have been hurling out this alarmist garbage for so long now, go figure? Maybe you should actually alert us when something is actually happen, not scream the sky is falling every time when it aint.

but this "movement" gives me quite the uneasy feeling,

Get your guns and go underground then, do us a favour. This speculative alarmist attitude hasnt done anybody good, and its been going on for months. Sounds like a friggin broken record, seriously.

I know this is a conspiracy website, I know we need to address these things, but spreading inaccurate information and alarm aint doing anybody a favour.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Obama on Tuesday also nominated Nike Inc. vice president Maria Eitel to lead the federal agency that oversees the country's national service programs.

Comforting.

Nike never employed workers in a sweat shop. I wonder if the national service will be the same?

More fascism if you ask me....she can hang with the CEO of GE and drink a bottle of champagne and do the silly rich person laugh...

ahhahahahahhahh *ching! "Cheers! Suckers."

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   
There's nothing at all wrong with people volunteering to help their country, as long as it stays voluntary. It will become a problem however if they attempt to make it mandatory.

I don't understand why they need to spend all that money on a volunteer program though ? What money is needed for people to donate their services ? If they pay people for volunteering, doesn't it then become work

This man is spending money like we have an endless supply

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

"Nobody has been forced to do anything liar."

Wow. He didn't say anyone had been forced to do anything. He said "get ready" because it's a possibility that it could be mandatory.

Unless you can see into the future, you don't know that this will not be the case.

My first thought was the same as chise61. Why the vast sum of money on a volunteer program?

My question is the same it's been since this was first brought up last year: What will happen if you don't volunteer or resist if it does become mandatory? I guess I'll find out if it's the latter.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Interesting how "government keeps getting bigger" while the rest of the nation wither with unemployment rates.

How comforting for the unemployed to do free services for the government.

No to forget that the person appointed to the position is also another Corporate rat that with links in the corporate world.

I guess the mandatory community service will fall very well into the hands of corporate America that has not only downgraded the nations living standards with in sourcing and outsourcing but now they will be after free labor.

[edit on 22-4-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
If you want to bring about forced community service, then you'd do it through the criminal justice system. Speeding ticket? 1000 hours of community service. Open intox? 500 hours community service. Shoplifting? 1000 hours of community service. Roll through a red light? 500 hours community service.

See how easy that was.

As an added benefit, if you go this route, then nobody has much sympathy for you when you go home complaining that you were sentenced to community service. "Should have obeyed the law" they'll say. It's perfect.

[edit on 22-4-2009 by theWCH]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I wish the British Government would introduce National Service, might instill a sense of respect into the younger generation.

On a more skeptical note, this could be Obama's way of reducing the unemployment figures to make the recession seem less severe as well as propping up the many worldwide American conflicts. Or a way to bolster the reserve for a forthcoming Korean / Iranian front...

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I'm not gonna say you're an alarmist but I was in the Americorps program and I mentored kids who were failing as well as doing a lot of community projects. It really is a good program although I wish the stipend was for more than they give you. I would be behind this if you put 2 years into Americorps and you got a full ride through college. The program really does do an invaluable service to poor neighborhoods and if we can benefit from it financially as well it's a good thing. I'll see if I can find the link but do you know that China has listed the US under human rights violations because of the heavy financial burden our system indebts to us if you want to go to college but your parents aren't rich? Just food for thought. It's not all bad.

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Originally posted by Lasheic

When the servitute is "mandatory" by law.

I agree but has anyone said what would happen if you do not comply with the "mandatory" service? jail time? leans on your property, Fines? all the above???

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by merryxmas
I'm not gonna say you're an alarmist but I was in the Americorps program and I mentored kids who were failing as well as doing a lot of community projects. It really is a good program although I wish the stipend was for more than they give you. I would be behind this if you put 2 years into Americorps and you got a full ride through college. The program really does do an invaluable service to poor neighborhoods and if we can benefit from it financially as well it's a good thing. I'll see if I can find the link but do you know that China has listed the US under human rights violations because of the heavy financial burden our system indebts to us if you want to go to college but your parents aren't rich? Just food for thought. It's not all bad.

No It's not "all" bad - but when they make it "mandatory" that's when it's bad.. If your on welfare, can't find a job and are capable of working - I don't want you living off the government money (our Tax Dollars) just because you can , are lazy or you find a loop hole in the system. Get out there and make a difference in your way of life - be it in a poor neighborhood or what not.......

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Mandatory or not, where is he getting $5.7 BILLION??!!@! This man just keeps writing the checks with no way to pay for it! Volunteerism should not cost the taxpayers billions. I did not volunteer to pay for this!!!!

I guess the paying for it may be the only MANDATORY part.

[edit on 22/4/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Apr, 22 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I hope to see Obama the mannequin and his ventriloquist puppet master Rahm Emanuel with their wives and kids, out there volunteering to scrub toilets in skid row shelters. Of course Rahm’s family may be exempt from this voluntary / mandatory (now there’s a paradox) service, since they’re dual Israeli-U.S.citizens. Or is that U.S-Israeli citizens? I guess it depends where your true allegiance lies.

Don’t worry I’ll be volunteering too. I plan to get some spray paint and start tagging the city with anti-government graffiti. I will also be passing out flyers to K-12 students, letting them know that the HR2857 GIVE Act will be infringing on their free will, and that the best years of their lives are already being squandered thanks to a tyrannical government that requires the mandatory incarceration of all children, within an archaic public school system.

HR2857 GIVE Act is nothing more than a mechanism of involuntary servitude designed by an oppressive government, requiring a people to labor against their will for the benefit of a few fat greedy money masters.

[edit on 22-4-2009 by seasoul]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join