It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harrison Bergeron, or, The Shape of Things to Come?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Sometimes my wife decides it is in her best interests to watch scantily clad Russians dancing with the "B and C list"... That's when I catch up on movies.

Last night I decided to see if they ever made a movie version of this Vonnegut short story...

en.wikipedia.org...

Basically, a story about a society "dumbed down" by design. Was Vonnegut trying to warn us about where our society may be headed?

To say the least, the TV movie made in 1995 takes it one step further!

Here it is:

video.google.com...

It's 100 minutes, and worth every second.

Vonnegut leaves many details to the imagination of the reader. Ironically, again, perhaps by design, the TV version spells out exactly what society could become.

I really love the classroom scene where the second American Revolution (an actual polarizing and central event in the movie) is discussed.

Did the makers of this film know the agenda of TPTB????

Enjoy!

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Unbelievable! This thread has been up all day, but somehow the miss america "controversy" seems to garner more attention.

Am I totally wrong? Has nobody seen this movie?

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I saw Harrison Bergeron when I was practically a teenager, and loved it. That was like 15 years ago. It's the most realistic version of the control soceity I think I have seen in my life.

Classic Sci-Fi. I mention it on my conspiracy site.

oh, and Jordan Maxwell turned me on to Things to Come about 15 years ago as well.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by infoliberator]

join