It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA waterboarded al-Qaida suspects 266 times

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   

CIA waterboarded al-Qaida suspects 266 times

www.guardian.co.uk

The CIA waterboarded two al-Qaida terror suspects a total of 266 times, according to a report that suggests the use of the torture technique was much more extensive than previously thought. The documents showed waterboarding was used 183 times on Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who admitted planning the 9/11 attacks, the New York Times reported today.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
If someone water-boarded me 183, I think I'd admit to having planned September the 11th. I'd also admit to being both George Bush and Barack Obama.

I know the use of torture is pretty divisive but ultimately water-boarding is torture and, personally, I don't see how it's justified, particularly given that people will admit to anything under the right circumstances. The idea that 'they do worse to our soldiers' doesn't really cut it in my eyes as any high-ground is automatically lost in 'tit for tat' measures.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   

waterboarding was used 183 times on Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who admitted planning the 9/11 attacks, the New York Times reported today.

He also admitted planning hundreds of attacks, including an attack on a building that hadn't even been built prior to his capture. Everything he said was useless.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Waterboard me once and i'd admit to any of those crimes. It's a horrible, horrible feeling. Anyone that thinks waterboarding isn't torture should be given a taste of it themselves.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe

He also admitted planning hundreds of attacks, including an attack on a building that hadn't even been built prior to his capture.
Everything he said was useless.

the 'Official' record, of his admitting he planned the operation will be the
part all of us hear about... and will be printed in school books

~ even useless information can be Spun by adept spinmeisters/propagandists ~

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe

waterboarding was used 183 times on Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who admitted planning the 9/11 attacks, the New York Times reported today.

He also admitted planning hundreds of attacks, including an attack on a building that hadn't even been built prior to his capture. Everything he said was useless.

Perhaps in terms of genuine information but, as St Udio poster points out, they got a scapegoat and name for the press releases. That's enough in a lot of people's minds to have some kind of closure and 'forget' about a story: 'oh yeah, some guy confessed. Case closed. What's on the other channel?'

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Reminds me of Stalin's Soviet Union....

they used to torture the "enemies of the state" 'till they confess to stuff they didn't do...

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Here is the funny thing about this waterboarding buisness:

People are falling for this crap faster then it can be put out.

We all have this outrage directed at the government for torture...and when those two words ('government' and 'torture') are said together, all that gets thought about, or talked about on the news, is waterboarding and Gitmo.

Have you all lost your sense of...well...not being so damn blind?

The CIA readily admits to [an ongoing] history of secret detention camps and disgusting acts of torture. They will kidnap you right out of your bed, no questions asked and no explination given.

They can and have kept people in secret 'prisons' all over the world, never telling them exactly why and never letting them go.

Oh yea, and they admit to this. Yet, the MSM, and every psuedo-patriot today, is whooping and hollering over water boarding and a visible detention center. One side plays agitator and the other, the disgusted, noble-visioned, idealist.

Yet both sides ignore the readily available and refuse to talk about the very real and very admitted torture against 'us and them'.

God damnit, the CIA themselves have released files on their disgusting actions...and god knows what was redacted from that!

Oh well, this is an issue of waterboarding, Gitmo and camp x-ray...nothing more here.

Please.

How easily the majority of you people fall for crap like this over and over makes me sick. Or maybe it is that false sense of 'truth and wisdom' which is projected while doing it that brings up my lunch.

Open your eyes or shut your mouth already!

[edit on 4/20/0909 by spines]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by spines
Here is the funny thing about this waterboarding buisness:

People are falling for this crap faster then it can be put out.

Oh well, this is an issue of waterboarding, Gitmo and camp x-ray...nothing more here.

Please. How easily the majority of you people fall for crap like this over and over makes me sick. Or maybe it is that false sense of 'truth and wisdom' which is projected while doing it.

Open your eyes or shut your mouth already!

And the mainstream media - from fairly repuatable and respected sources - commenting on this is a bad thing why?

Yes, the CIA have been fingered for this kind of thing and most people on here are certainly aware of it. However, not everyone outside of the world of 'conspiracies' and parapolitics &c. are aware that there are reports out there confirming what the likes of the CIA have done. So when even the mainstream is flagging this kind of thing it's a bad thing?

Yes, there are other things that should be reported on too; are you seriously suggesting that no one but spines - he who sees and knows all - isn't aware of this? Yet, according to your logic, the kind of material the Guardian are commenting on shouldn't be reported because there's material that isn't getting reported?

'Hey, sorry bud, we're pulling your story about the multiple car crash which killed 14 people because we've just got a story on the wires about a fire in a factory that's killed 17 people - that's 3 bodies more. You know how it goes; we can't run both. It doesn't matter how relevant and awful your story is, we're only interested in the worst possible stories'.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com...

Twenty-one years earlier, in 1947, the United States charged a Japanese officer, Yukio Asano, with war crimes for carrying out another form of waterboarding on a U.S. civilian. The subject was strapped on a stretcher that was tilted so that his feet were in the air and head near the floor, and small amounts of water were poured over his face, leaving him gasping for air until he agreed to talk.

"Asano was sentenced to 15 years of hard labor," Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.) told his colleagues last Thursday during the debate on military commissions legislation. "We punished people with 15 years of hard labor when waterboarding was used against Americans in World War II," he said.

when used against americans its torture - and 1 japanese officer went to prison for 15 years for it

but when the CIA do it to the rest of the planet its an `enhanced interorgation technique` and so must be `OK`

media.washingtonpost.com...

^^ US Soldiers torturing a NVC army soldier.

amazing really who wants the world to think the truth.

lies , damned lies and statistics.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

I say the MSM reporting exclusivly on this, and ONLY this, aspect of the story for months is a bad thing.

For months and months there has been this ridiculous debate going around about Waterboarding and Gitmo. Waterboarding and gitmo, waterboarding and gitmo...

Not a single mention of the wider scope of this story at all. It doesn't take a savant to see the manipulation of public opinion (read: propoganda) here.

And no, I don't think that only I, the great and wonderful and sexy (you forgot sexy...if you are going to be a sarcastic ass, at least throw me a bone) 'spines' knows all. I am saying that this story is the media equivalent of a false-flag and everyone seems content to allow that.

It's not even a case of one hand not being aware of the other...it is one hand intentionally fooling the other, tying it down and then gouging out the eyes for good measure. Not that it has too, the brain, as it turns out, has already been saturated with a 'we are progressive westerners...we could never fall for obvious propoganda. not from our news' attitude.

They can report on this story all they want, but the fact that the real story never is and most likely will not be commented on. Why is that? You're talking like 'the media' has some integrity by reporting on this for the 400th time.

Any reporter doing research on this story couldn't possibly fail to find 'the family jewels', so why not mention it?

Ever?

If you can sit there and act like the way this waterboarding story is constantly being thrown to the dogs is something more than simple conditioning...then I don't know...

Gold star from teacher?

And your example about the car wreck doesn't hold water. One car crash over the other in a local police blotter is nothing like the exposure and constant rehashing of one part of a story; feeding the debate and shuffling all the attention; while refusing to even mention mentioning the other.

Hell, given your example, the actual story of covert CIA arrests and torture should be the one being reported on. After all...the higest death toll genuinlly gets the front page, and which one (waterboarding or everything else) is more sensational? Which would sell more copies?

But that's right: Waterboarding and Gitmo have nothing to do with anyone but some Muslim fellows...You can safely stir the pot just enough.

[snipping] pathetic that outrage comes only when it hits close to ourselves.

But that would be the point wouldn't it: That would be why this story (waterboarding and visable detainment of 'others') is told repeatedly and the whole of it (the admitted arrest, torture, detainment and murder of American citizens, and many others as well) is ignored.

Pardon me if I am tired of having to say "Gee sir...I think you may be missing something here."

top topics

join