It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Did Your County's Jobs Disappear?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
An interactive map of vanishing employment across the country.

The economic crisis, which has claimed more than 5 million jobs since the recession began, did not strike the entire country at once. A map of employment gains or losses by county tells the story of how those job losses first struck in the most vulnerable regions and then spread rapidly to the rest of the country. As early as August 2007, for example—several months before the recession officially began—jobs were already on the decline in southwest Florida; Orange County, Calif.; much of New Jersey; and Detroit, while other areas of the country remained on the uptick.

Using the Labor Department's local area unemployment statistics, Slate presents the recession as told by unemployment numbers for each county in America. Because the data are not seasonally adjusted for natural employment cycles throughout the year, the numbers you see show the change in the number of people employed compared with the same month in the previous year. Blue dots represent a net increase in jobs, while red dots indicate a decrease. The larger the dot, the greater the number of jobs gained or lost. Click the arrows or calendar at the bottom to see each month of data. Click the green play button to see an animation of the data.

View the interactive map here!

That's scary! Although my home state of Texas hasn't felt the wrath as much as others, I can assure you I have personally. I was out of work for 2 months after being layed off in October of last year. All that after 3 years with the company too.

Republic of Texas: 1836-1845; 2009-??????

-Dev

[edit on 17-4-2009 by DevolutionEvolvd]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
That is scary!!! I was laid off at the beginning February from a "Window and Door" Company!! They promised us we would have our jobs back no later than Sept. 1st... I hope so, but we will see!

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Good luck to ya! I ended up finally getting a job again only to be fired when new managment decided that they wanted their own staff. If you ask me, firing the best workers just to bring in some that are fresh and trainable is like wiping before you poop. It just doesn't make sense.

-Dev

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
eh i'd rather not disclose my location but it's in the south let that be known but in my part honestly we haven't had a strong job market since the 1980's we had a lot of those textile businesses Gerald Celente talked about in an old interview open up down here but they all closed down BEFORE the RECESSION was even announced at first it started with layoffs of the actual textile workers and then they just kept the truckers for awhile then later got rid of them too we use to have like 8 large textile factories now we only have one and it's kept the tradition of it's predecessors with keeping truckers only lol, and even the contracting business is getting scarce remember Steven Colbert talking about the mudflap girl having to take up being a waitress?

This is serious business I'm not trying to lie and say my city needs a major bailout or anything like that you asked the question and I'm giving you the answer but sadly just like back then and how it is now people think the amount of jobs are based on what their city has to offer and basically if it's a big money spot like Orlando Florida or Las Vegas Nevada.

Just like how all the ignorant rappers down here think if they move to Atlanta now-a-days they are going to get a record deal and become the next Gucci Mane when I was just looking at soulja boy and Gucci mane "Gucci Bandana" song and the centerpiece of the video is centered around Soulja boy and a bunch of kids dancing around THE EYE OF HORUS

Satan has taken the church, he has taken the government, he is after the children and the new age minds.

Wake up.

God said "Come out of her My people" (revelations 18:4)

oh and if you were wondering how our job market is looking now around here in my parts there being no jobs has been old news around here for about 2 yrs lol SERIOUSLY.

Unless you wanna be the last hired at a restaurant I doubt you'll consider that a job...Not to sound racist but I haven't seen this many white people working in Mc Donalds since..damn..EVER!!!

I'm just saying that's when you know something is wrong, seriously...Best buy and wal-mart has been laying off like hell

[edit on 18-4-2009 by hezekiah]

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
and at one point pizza hut couldn't cash their checks around here when that whole bank of america crap happened

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Has anyone even began discussing the Entertainment industry?? Aside from your news having to report some more obscure bull-crap what else new happens on your TV? Any new seasons of anything out there? (BESIDES REALITY TV, CHEAP,FAST AND EASY TO PRODUCE AND AIR) Not a lot of new artists coming out, a lot of the same ones with less material, even 50 cent has blamed his album being pushed back because of the economy and plans to release it when it looks better (which it never will)

Not a lot of movies coming out every week I say about 2-3 major new big ones every month and they are quickly being put onto DVD, Not a lot of Games that new Resident Evil and Chronicles of Riddick have been the first games majorly advertised since the first 100 days of the Election.

Are any of you on here even gamers anymore? If you are then you'd know Final Fantasy 13 was suppose to have BEEN released considering it's going to be a 3 part title series but Final Fantasy sites and even IGN say this from Sony HQ:

At this year's Tokyo Game Show, Square Enix debuted a new trailer for Final Fantasy XIII, its highly anticipated role-playing game slated to arrive for both the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Aside from the eye candy, Square Enix's trailer also offered the tantalizing promise of a 2009 launch date.

Unfortunately, that promise of a 2009 release apparently applies only to Japan, given that the game isn't going to make it to the US or Europe until the second quarter of 2010 at the very earliest. The news emerged as Square Enix, the game's developer, delivered projections for the remainder of its current fiscal year, which ends March 31.

Square Enix president Yoichi Wada told Reuters that the game was on track for a 2009 PS3-exclusive launch in Japan, with international launches for the Xbox 360 and PS3 coming "in the business year from April 2010 or later."

So basically this means Japan will release the game when the market is in their favor they aren't stupid and there's already a thread about China wanting the dollar, so it's time to wake up folks..just google "Final Fanstasy 13 Japan Exclusive"

Final Fantasy Japan Exclusive Site 1

And back onto the Soulja Boy and Eye of Horus concept, It's sad most people in Georgia don't even know of the Georgia guidestones or what they mean or hold to represent and the few that do know seem to think nothing of it...

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Not only that Universal Studio's plans to have it's Harry Potter theme park finished by 2010 but their official website for this new park states they aren't accepting applications LOL

also people check theme parks like kings dominion and disney world look at the park dates Kings Dominion in particular it's closed for half a f**king month for a private party we can only wonder who has money to spend for such a entire park closing event like this!! Damn sure isn't a celebrity they'd state something like that like they have in the past.

Besides that it also has a lot of random park day closings and a vary in their time schedule alot of theme parks are finding ways to shorten their hours to decrease wages and most aren't accepting applications and we all know water parks and theme parks use to be summer job magnets.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
My county is roughly half latino, half white now.
Hmmm, I wonder where all the jobs went?!

YOU tell me! Beats me with wet stick......
Probably the same place the American dream is!
And our money!

Neither here nor there, just the way it is.

Till we get a handle on this immigration thingy jigger,
forget about ever having decent paying jobs again.

Until we learn to live 20 peeps per room and survive on beans
we will never compete in this new world(order).

Sorry, how rude! I forgot to answer the question!
A long time ago.

[edit on 18-4-2009 by dodadoom]

new topics

top topics

join