It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pirate Bay founders sent to jail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   

A court in Sweden has jailed four men behind The Pirate Bay (TPB), the world's most high-profile file-sharing website, in a landmark case.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Just curious to see peoples reaction to this story. Step towards attempting to end internet piracy? Think they will go after more?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Rapist, killers, robbers, corrupt politicians...all free....

two geeks that could not hurt a fly...in jail...

Justice eh?

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I torrent. The government steals from us through "TAXES" so I torrent. Plus with the end drawing near I don't think it matters. I liked the pirate bay.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Quote from source:

"We can't pay and we wouldn't pay. Even if I had the money I would rather burn everything I owned, and I wouldn't even give them the ashes."

Right on brother!! I wish them best of luck in their appeal. Pirate Bay doesn't hold any copyrighted material. That's down to the individual users. But going after them is too much like hard work for the big guns. So they go after these guys to try to make an example of them.

[edit on 17-4-2009 by Nammu]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Well, the damages you have to pay for murdering 2 kids in Sweden is:

200 000 SEK ( Swedish Crowns ) which is 23 700 Dollars.

The damage fee they have to pay for having torrents on a server..

31.000.000 SEK which is 3,670,700 USD.

What is wrong with this picture eh?
This had done nothing more than aggravated the Swedish citizens.

They will never be able to stop this, wish they could begin to understand this. This will not gain either the film industry or the music companies in anyway in the long term. It won't solve anything.

These industries should go with the flow and not work against it. there are new ways of earning the money they crave so much.

Spotify is in my opinion on the right track atleast.

But to have the music and movie industry be worth more than to childrens lives is to me disturbing. BAH!

[edit on 17-4-2009 by Akezzon]

[edit on 17-4-2009 by Akezzon]

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
They will win the appeal,there is no grounds for this decision and the owners know it, so its just a waiting game really...there are many more torrent sites other than piratebay,and it really doesn't take much to get a new one up and running.The music/movie/game industry really shouldn't be celebrating.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
According to Copyright Infringement Laws. It is illegal to distribute, broadcast programs without the written consent of the copyright owner. That means if a person distributes a Network program without their consent in writing is a violation of copyright laws. If you upload a TV program or film to a torrent website without the Copyright owner's written consent. You are in violation of the law. The Torrent website is liable because they are providing the means to distribute the uploaded program.

posted on Apr, 17 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by PGTWEED

But so is google,yahoo,msn etc they are giving you the means via searching to find torrents.Thats exactly what the pirate bay does aswell,they dont host anything just like any other search engine.

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
reply to post by PGTWEED

But so is google,yahoo,msn etc they are giving you the means via searching to find torrents.Thats exactly what the pirate bay does aswell,they dont host anything just like any other search engine.
Piratebay is not a search engine. It re-distributes torrents hosted on it's website. Why do you think it is called Pirate Bay? They do not have the written consent to host re-distribute the torrents on their website!

posted on Apr, 18 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
PGTWEED wrote:

It re-distributes torrents hosted on it's website.

You are completely confused about the difference between a torrent and content

A torrent is a small file (around few kilobytes) with the suffix .torrent, which contains all the information needed to download a file the torrent was made for.

That means it contains file names, their sizes, and more importantly where to download it from, i.e. the actual content resides on many, many peoples machine on the other side of the World for example, or perhaps even your next door neighbour; the software (BitTorrent, uTorrent, etc...) need not know the location, just that it can grab the 'chunks' of data as described in the .torrent file and concatenate them together.

When someone creates a torrent, they are creating a checksum for each piece of data, using the SHA1 hashing algorithm, and records it in the torrent file. When someone else downloads this using 3rd party software like BitTorrent or uTorrent, it is pieced back together by grabbing 'chunks' of data from other peoples PC's who are also connected in live time, to that seeded torrent.

So in summary, the content is only on peoples PC's and the more seeders, then the faster the download, as more pieces can be grabbed quicker. The torrents that exist on TPB are just links to the chunks of actual data/content , which is NEVER stored on their server and so they are not liable to any mechanical copyright.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrisonerOfSociety
PGTWEED wrote:

It re-distributes torrents hosted on it's website.

You are completely confused about the difference between a torrent and content

A torrent is a small file (around few kilobytes) with the suffix .torrent, which contains all the information needed to download a file the torrent was made for.

That means it contains file names, their sizes, and more importantly where to download it from, i.e. the actual content resides on many, many peoples machine on the other side of the World for example, or perhaps even your next door neighbour; the software (BitTorrent, uTorrent, etc...) need not know the location, just that it can grab the 'chunks' of data as described in the .torrent file and concatenate them together.

When someone creates a torrent, they are creating a checksum for each piece of data, using the SHA1 hashing algorithm, and records it in the torrent file. When someone else downloads this using 3rd party software like BitTorrent or uTorrent, it is pieced back together by grabbing 'chunks' of data from other peoples PC's who are also connected in live time, to that seeded torrent.

So in summary, the content is only on peoples PC's and the more seeders, then the faster the download, as more pieces can be grabbed quicker. The torrents that exist on TPB are just links to the chunks of actual data/content , which is NEVER stored on their server and so they are not liable to any mechanical copyright.
Piratebay facilitates the re-distribution of copyrighted material, which it does not have the written consent of the copyright owners. Piratebay is guilty and can be held liable for copyright infringement. If you look at the download links from other Torrent websites you find that piratebay appears often.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I cannot believe that people are defending a "fencing" operation that distributes stolen material. What is the world coming to when minor semantics can cause you to lose track of what stealing is? How do they verify that the man hosting the file is the actual copyright holder?. I sell 3d models online and I am appalled by how many people apologize for thieves. You bet I want people like this to go to jail and face fines.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I cannot believe that people are defending slavery, so that there is no free information flow on the internet.
Bankers in USA have STOLEN TRILLIONS OF DOLLARS, and none of them served a day in jail. Corrupt politicians who are guilty of death of millions through poisoned food in supermarkets and wars that have only one aim - as many victims as possible - those politicians are not in jail, they will never be.

Who is in jail? People who allow ordinary people to share files on the internet.

"Entertainment industry"? What is that? What are they selling? Air? If they want people to pay, let them PERFORM LIVE, and have people pay tickets. Everything else is NOT ART and should not be paid.

"Entertainers" are the best servants of the corporations, and I totally don't care if they get hurt with piracy.

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by PGTWEED

No they do not facilitates the re-distribution of copyrighted material, but they DO faciliates the re-distrubution of DATA. They DO faciliates the ability to share DATA...

What content the data involves is totally up to the client user. It is the user who MAKES the torrent files so copywrited materials can be shared. Not The Pirate Bay.
They only provide the server and space where people can upload the torrents they have created.

Not all torrent files directs you to copywrited material...

I say this again. The Film industry and music industry will never ever be able to control this by suing people like this. The file sharing is so firmly implemented into the society these days so these companies have to embrace the situation, change their views and methods of earning money in order to regain the "control". They will never have the control ofc, but they for sure can facilitate it for themselves by doing this instead of suing the road worker company that made the road where the drunk driver ran over a child.

[edit on 21-4-2009 by Akezzon]

new topics

top topics

join