It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The scale shows one thing...my body shows another

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Background Info: 22 y/o male, 6'0 tall, 250lbs before I started working out, metabolism burned about 2200 calories a day (its obviously increased now)

I have a personal trainer and a nutritionist who pretty much run my life. Its been 1.5 months since Ive started with them, and everything is great, but I have a question.

2 weeks ago, I weighed in and I lost 7.6 lbs, bringing me down to 243.4. 2 weeks later (today), I weighed in today and I lost 8 lbs, bringing my weight to 235.4. Thats a total of 15 lbs overall, and over 5 weeks, that means I was losing 3lbs a week.

My question is, where the hell am I losing weight at? My clothes fit a little differently (Im not saying where I have to buy new clothes tomorrow, I just mean theyre a little bit looser), my stomach is protruding like it used to, but everything else is the same. I know we do some intense cardio and weight training, mostly weights, but...I dont see any difference. My trainer can, my nutritionist can, and so can other people around me.

When am I going to see results? (I being myself, not others) Also, is losing 8 lbs in 2 weeks, or 15 lbs in 5 weeks, healthy/normal?

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
you are around you every single day. Your not really going to notice except the weight on the scale.

What your going to notice after a while is the amount of energy you have will increase and eventually you will see that your clothes won't fit anymore.

It's gradual. It's a process. And remember there will be times that you won't loose any weight at all because of what is called a plateau. These plateaus come in from time to time to allow your metabolism time to adjust to your bodies need to fuel itself.

Don't get discouraged and keep on working out. To loose weight the right way helps you more than you will ever know. You will feel better, look better and have more self confidence.

Just do it the right way and while you may not notice it right away others will. Remember your around you all the time those people that are around you all the time won't notice as much as those that aren't.

posted on Apr, 16 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by nola1287

You're putting on muscle.
It's a good thing, unless you look like Lee Haney.

Peace

posted on Apr, 21 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
15 pounds in 5 weeks is normal, depending on your diet.

One thing you might want to keep in mind, your trainer and nutritionist are going to tell you what you want to hear so that you keep paying them. I'm not saying they're lying in this case, but their paychecks depend on clients like you losing weight.

Here's what you can do, ask family and friends what they think, measure yourself weekly and take photos of yourself weekly. Write in a log every sunday describing how you feel physically, mentally and whether you think the week was successful.

If you're simply putting on muslce and losing fat, your results would be the opposite. You'd have an obvious change in appearance but the scale would show little or no difference from your starting weight.

You're Resting Metabolic Rate is about 2300 kcal/day. So, if you do absolutely nothing all day long, you'll burn 2300 calories. How many days do you strength train and for how long? What kind of cardio, for how many days, for how long each day?

What kind of food are you eating and how often are you eating it? What is your Pre/Post-workout diet consist of, if anything?

Does your nutritionist talk with your trainer so that you're on the optimal diet plan for your situation?

I won't really know for sure until you can answer those few questions but it may be that you're actually burning muscle and not much fat. If you're caloric deficit is too large and you're not eating enough protein in your diet, there is a good probability that this is the case.

-Dev

new topics

top topics

join