It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

have you ever seen a plane stand still?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by n120by60w
reply to post by C0bzz

?Aircraft with similar wing loadings have stall speeds above one hundred knots even when completely empty thus there is no reason to believe the C-5 is any different.

[edit on 19/4/2009 by C0bzz]"

Cobzz - Oh I love this site.
Challenging & intelligent conversations.
It makes us all better able to sort out our thoughts & idea's.

I Emailed Lockheed Martian to see if they could clear it up.
If its not classified.

I was a instrument instructor in the USAF in the 70's
What I was talking about was skuttle butt that circulated about the C5.
One had recently been shot down with a bunch of orphans loaded on it.
It was quite a loss for us.
The nation did not take it too well.
It was one positive thing that could have come out of the war.
When we were in a would of s##t at the time.

Watcher

Well the Email came back - Seems that we are both wrong. I am a little slow & your a little hot.

Lockheed Martian:
"Without going into the wide variety of factors that affect takeoff performance, a good ball park number for a VERY lightly loaded C-5 would be about 90 kts."

With this in mind & the size of the Galaxy taken into account.
Its still a kite...
It would need a big string although....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remembered something that my wife & I went threw in the 90's that might be pertinent to the post. ----

In the 70's I was involved with a "group" abduction along with my family in Alamogordo NM on the out skirts of Holloman. (White Sands Missle Range)

At the time we processed it as couple hours of continuous time.
With hind sight we may have been gone for as much as a few days.

One of the entire families involved was the guy I called Bill in our previous conversion about us flying the plane backwards.

The first day reporting back to work Bill & I agreed to speak to the NCO's in charge of our shop. Well long story short, we ended up on the phone on base reporting the UFO to the Base OSI.
After that things get pretty jumbled up.

Everyone involved was reassigned to all corners of the globe.
It just simply was put out of our minds.
Like it just slipped away from our attention.
Not forgotten. Just like you forgot where your keys were.

Decades later I had spinal surgery.
I started having flashbacks of the incident afterward.
I mentioned it to my wife & she got this far off look on her face & said "YA"

Well I tried to make since of it for a year or so.
Then I tried to get a hold of Bill.
I kept searching for him to no avail.

Then out of no where: I set up in bed one night & said to my wife.
Bill & I were promoted on the same date!

I have the my promotion records from 70's in my home office.
I ran into my office to find them.
In those days the SSN was printed along with the names.
Not to smart in the current times.
Things were a lot simpler back then.

I told my wife after finding them that I could look him up tomorrow.
I went to a local credit bureau in town.
I explained that I was looking for a friend.
The clerk gave me a State & phone number.
I just stood there in shock.

I came home and thought of the turmoil that I was going threw.
I sat in my office thinking it over?
What if Bill was still in the service?
What if he was going threw the same thing?
Then out of the blue I got a phone call from a Mufon rep.
With the same phone number for me.
Hmmm

I had not seen or heard from Bill seance our phone conversation from our shop with the OSI.
What the hell .....
I dialed the number.

"The following is what I wanted to relate to the guy looking for the Aircraft type."

As the phone begin to ring.
A loud thump thump thump began from out side.
It became so loud it became hard to hear.
Then a Helicopter to came into view in the tree tops from the office window.
"Light" Baby Blue with a Orange stripe.

[edit on 4/23/2009 by n120by60w]

posted on Apr, 23 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Before I post this I would like to say that NO I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS ALIEN! ARE WE CLEAR?

I have always thought. If an alien race came here and didn't want to be easily seen wouldn't they try to mimic our aircraft? It would be the perfect way to remain secret (camouflage is the best defense mechanism in nature I'm sure that is universal). All they would have to do is make a red and blue strobe. I'm sure they have the technology. It makes perfect sense doesn't it? Heck they could even manufacture a contrail if they wanted to. We would never know the difference (unless we could see it up close).

posted on Jun, 15 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Did you see any wings.
I've seen quite a few planes in the distance and did not
see wings.
Not moving means no plane but perhaps a cylinder ufo.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I have experienced a low, slow, and not to scale plane as well. I'll add my thread link to the discussion.

My strange plane thread.

posted on Jun, 16 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
There is an aircraft, the Pilatus Porter. In a 'dirty' configuration, it has a very low stall speed. With the appropriate wind, it can do amazing things, 'hover' and 'fly backwards' (relative to the ground. They can also get in and out of very tight and rough field conditions. They have been, and are used by missionary support, as well as government agencies.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I witnessed something similar last night, from my apartment. I live in Hoboken, NJ. And the Newark airport is pretty close to me.
I dont buy the "headwind" shenanigans. i just cant. I dont understand how the plane could just hang in the air for OVER 15 mins! I had time to grab my Nikon Binos and zoom right up to 24x.
With the binos i noticed how the angles were wrong. i then had time to go to grab my cellphone to try to capture some evidence.(it was too dark and small)
All during this time 2 other planes took off from the airport, both of which looked fine. I could make them out perfectly.
I tried to look at the body area of the plane, thats where most of the lights where blinking and flashing, which obscured it. To be honest, the lightling looked like a police car was all lit up to pull someone over.
It's so hard to describe... i didnt see wings, but i saw the white lights that would have been on the ends of them. The body area where the lights did reflect looked white. It wasnt until the 'plane' began to fly away (very quickly) to the north(or right in my prospective), that it even looked like a plane at all.

It was white, and had a red tail. i could tell because one of the white lights on it were pointed at the tail fin.

I mean i watched this thing for at least 15 minutes in the binos and it probably took me a minute to make the 2 trips to grab first Binos, then cell phone.
i wanted to know if it was an illusion, thinking maybe it was approaching me from the west, and thats what caused it. But no. the thing didnt grow, shrink, bank, or anything. just hovered.
I would guess it was either farther away than the airport, or much smaller than the other planes.

the part that got my attention though was that when i first saw it, it was blinking and lighting up like crazy. A lot of whites, but plenty of red and blues too, like a cop. I tend to notice cops right away.
I remember when it sped away there was no blue lights. just whites and a red. which i thought was interesting.
Also, yeah when it flew away it was obviously a large commercial jet.
NOTE: In retrospect, i cant tell you if it looked any bigger than when first noticed or not.
It could just be my memory, but it seems like it was larger as it left than when i saw it hovering.

anyway i know the ground winds dont mean jack, but it was a pretty calm night last night even in the sky the clouds were lazy, but that just compounds with the rest of the weird to make me doubt the headwinds. though i know it's totally possible.

It leaves me with a bunch of questions. The one that bothers me the most is.. If it was hovering over by the airport, wouldnt that mean it was waiting to land? Why would it just take off north after hovering for so long?
I watched it until it was blocked away by building, but it damn sure didnt turn back for a landing....
edit on 9-1-2012 by technomancer because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-1-2012 by technomancer because: Added "Note" about size. (then added reason for 'note')

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 07:53 AM
link   
HI im from india.
I'm not lying I really saw a plane that actually reassembled like an aeroplane or a Boeing..which was really standing on the sky at a feet of 24 at 6.00pm.where nobody was there around could see it..but my mom's saw it along with me.im shocked.whethere it was an spaceship .or something..but I'm totally confused..that plane looked very old ..and it was a little darker I couldn't see.i felt why this happens..to me alone..after 10minutes it disappeared..mean while I waved my hand..and simultaneously I was getting questions on my mind how could plane stand above a house for 10mins .that too the plane looked very old kind..
After few minutes of its disappearance I saw a light kind of thing floating high on the sky...

posted on Nov, 29 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Hidden2

I saw one a couple of years ago. It was right above my head and very low. It made no sound and it just sat there for a number of minutes before moving on. Interestingly, only once it started moving it began to make a jet engine sound.
Here is a link to one guy on youtube who seems to have a number of encounters with hovering planes. Look at some of the vids in the side pane to see just how often this seems to occur.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 06:22 AM
link   
As been said above, ive seen many youtubes that show aircraft standing still and still looks amazing, its all to do with angles and your movement vs the aircraft and it convinces your brain its standing still, every one I watch I will swear it is standing still except it isnt.

Ive been around aircraft professionally for 25 years and have seen it a number of times and I swear every time it blows my mind, but every time they land at 100+ kmph.

Harriers and that dont just hover out there, its dangerous, at work there was a hover pit, some of the crews came in and gave a nod for fun, but they dont do it in the country for the heck of it, Vertical Landing is for smaller carriers, austere landing strips in FOBs or for airshows where if it goes pair shaped there is a reaction team to limit the damage, when you are fighting the laws of gravity, you dot just hover a $100,000k airframe for sh1ts and giggles.

Plus, in times of more miles for your bucks, its a huge compromise both Harrier and F-35B have made to have this capability, who is going to fly Emirates into anything other that an world class Airport with duty free! A STOVL A380 with a range of 20km?
edit on 30 11 2017 by Forensick because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: lemaster

I've come close to zero ground speed in a 172 during slow flight, with enough headwind.

posted on Nov, 30 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: technomancer

Lakehurst has hosted many blimps and airships over the years. The Navy was testing one at this time there, and the LEMV was tested shortly afterward. Because of the facilities and the number of sporting events in the New York/Tri-state area, it gets used a lot by commercial blimps as well. MetLife has a couple with red tail fins, for example.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   
My wife and I personally witnessed this phenomenon last night.

Full disclosure: I believe in the UFO phenomenon but I've never had a sighting - ever. I've debunked myself on a number of occasions noting that what I saw was an aircraft, a star, a natural event, etc. I've never actually seen ANYTHING that I can say qualifies as other worldly, ever.

Until last night.

My wife and I were driving along WA SR-14 heading into downtown Vancouver, WA to take the off ramp to I-5 south on our way to dinner. I saw the bridge lights blinking as they always do and noticed what looked to be a plane landing light that was very bright and much larger than what I usually see coming into PDX from the west. I then realize that relative to the orientation of the bridge the "landing light" wasn't moving as I drove and the plan came towards me (we weren't on perfectly parallel paths at the time) so I wondered to myself "did they put new lights in around the bridge?" They just revamped some of the VA waterfront so I thought it might have been part of the addition.

As we got closer, I could make out the lights on what should be wing tips but given my distance from the bridge, how massive the landing light was and how perceptively far apart the landing lights were I figured it was some new light system the city put in. And when I say massive landing light, the WA/OR I-5 bridge looked small compared to this light. It was also very bright - I was probably a mile from the bridge yet the light made making out the outline of the bridge difficult. This is unusual as it was a perfectly clear winter evening and even with light pollution you can clear see the bridge lights as it's in the west side landing path for PDX and obviously you don't want planes to hit it. The light was at about the altitude I'd expect for a plane coming in on the W to E approach at PDX - maybe a little lower but not oddly so.

As we drove closer, I was able to make out the bridge lights which were flashing red as normal and the light appeared to be coming straight down the Columbia River - which again is a normal landing path. The bright light was entirely stationary - to the point that as we got closer I was wondering how high up they put this light as it would be in the flight path of PDX. THEN...

We got almost to the off ramp and I could see the light was bright, large and in fact a landing light. I love aviation so I looked the plane and thought to myself that they must have upgraded the landing lights on this plane as it was far brighter than really any I've seen before (and we frequent the flight path of PDX - we've seen a lot of landing lights). As we got closer to bridge and I could make out it's outline and track the relative position of our car to the lights of the bridge and the light in the sky I realized.... holy sh@t! It's NOT MOVING!

I said to my wife "hey look at that - is that plane moving" and my wife goes "No, it's not - but planes wait to land so whatver". I said to her "ughhh.. but they fly" and she goes "HOLY SH!T - THAT IS NOT MOVING!" Indeed - it was not. We slowed down to about 10 MPH as it's a narrow off ramp onto I-5 and continued to watch in amazement - and holding up traffic - as the plane literraly wasn't moving and looked like it was about the size of a 767 - though it had the tail of a 737-9. I remembered thinking that we don't usually get big aircraft into PDX as the Delta PDX to ATL flight is earlier - which is one of the consistent wide body flights (been on it many times) and the INT stuff usually leaves in the morning. Either way, this thing WAS NOT MOVING.

The plane stuttered for a second and then sped up significantly. It wasn't moving relative to the bridge. We were side on. No doubt about it. That sucker didn't move and looked BIG for a 737 at that range.

So, this happened. This was NOT an optical allusion. I could triangulate it not moving relative to me, the ground, the bridge, the far side of the river - everything. And I was actively trying to make sure I wasn't seeing things - I wasn't. My wife's reaction - while a little silly - was genuine and she's a believe in the UFO side of things but EXTREMELY skeptical and takes some of the most solid evidence we have to sway her - and has also NEVER personally seen anything like this until last night.

So - this is a thing. I'm 100% convinced. if you Google Earth the I-5 bridge between OR and WA, about 1000 yards to the west side of it and nearly smack dab in the center of the Columbia River that plane wasn't moving right over that point - legit stopped. And this was at MINIMUM as 737 sized aircraft.

Also, I now know what people don't get clear footage of sightings. I was driving - couldn't do anything to snap footage. My wife was stunned. I was stunned. People just can't get a clear shot most of the time because you're not looking for this kind of thing. You're like "Oh that's an airplane - cool" one moment and then the next minute you say "WTF/OMG?" and you're so entranced in confirming you're not delusional you don't whip out your phone... I get it now.

Anyway - that's my story. This is a real thing. I checked and screen shotted PDX flight logs from last night and I'm going to see if anything that came in was larger than a 737. I don't think there was. I used to travel extensively for worked and have logged hundreds of thousands of miles of commercial air travel - i can defintely pick a 737 out from a 767 - particularly at that range. This was the real deal.

I haven't thought about what might cause this but I can tell you it's not normal. Quite an experience.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaChaser

if you could see a bright landing light the aircraft was most likely flying directly at you.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I’ve seen a mix of cesnas and pipers going wheels up and hover. They would have taken flight (well, technically anyways) if it weren’t for the fact they were strapped down (not very well obviously) due to a storm.

It is what (the wings of) planes are designed for, “lift”
edit on 7-12-2018 by 2Faced because: Wouldn’t be me if I didn’t have to edit

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: choos
a reply to: EnigmaChaser

if you could see a bright landing light the aircraft was most likely flying directly at you.

Thanks for that. I could never have ascertained I was or wasn’t head on with an aircraft.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join