It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Siberia outlaws swearing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Siberia outlaws swearing

russiatoday.ru

Fines have been introduced in the Omsk Region in southwestern Siberia for those using curse words. Using vulgar language will now cost residents of Achairskoe village from $6 to $16.

According to Interfax news agency, the maximum fine will be taken from those who use bad language in the presence of children.

The head of the village administration Sofia Arefyeva says that using four-letter words will be especially restricted during sports and culture events.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
This is against the common law of freedom of speech. We must protest for our fellow women & men in Sibera. Even people in prisons are allowed to cuss at each other in public. Of course, they're even encouraged to fight for the amusement of their keepers/prison-guards, as well.

The general-population of Siberia should not be enslaved by anyone in government. We must fight for their freedom (as well as ours)!

The tyrants in government are using the oppressed Siberians as test-subjects. The same criminals, who are posing as "moral-authorities" & pushing this ridiculous anti-cussing law have been caught doing worse things than "swearing" in public.

They've staged terrorist-attacks in poor communities:

Disbe lief - 1999 Russia Bombings

Google Video Link

A fatal bomb blast in a Moscow apartment building ignites a fury of questions about terrorism, shadow politics, and post-Soviet intrigue in Disbelief; a film as much about the high art of political deception as it is about violence and human tragedy.

The bombing on September 9, 1999, of a nine-story working-class apartment complex in Moscow was quickly blamed on Chechen terrorists.

Russian secret service deflect its own responsibility for the bombing on the Chechens to heighten national fear and hysteria and justify Russia's subsequent military attack on the breakaway republic [...]

More information about that video can be found at: www.disbelief-film.com...

russiatoday.ru
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-4-2009 by News And History]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by News And History
This is against the common law of freedom of speech. We must protest for our fellow women & men in Sibera.

Its Siberia.. freedom of speech? Its not a western country.. Its Siberia!

Whats the difference between getting fined for this and fined for noise pollution?

People should get a kick in the ass for swearing in front of children.. a $16 fine will do.

[edit on 15/4/09 by Dermo]

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Well, you'll certainly enjoy your servitude under the occultists, who make policies like that. Their laws are not meant to please you, they're meant to mislead you into believing that they have your best interests in mind.

Live totally free of government or be a slave.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo

This is against the common law of freedom of speech. We must protest for our fellow women & men in Sibera.

Its Siberia.. freedom of speech? Its not a western country.. Its Siberia!

Whats the difference between getting fined for this and fined for noise pollution?

People should get a kick in the ass for swearing in front of children.. a $16 fine will do.

[edit on 15/4/09 by Dermo]

Yeah, that's right. There's no difference. Like there's no need to worry about the government watching you, monitoring you and what you say, these sounds that come out of a mouth and float away into nothingness and suddenly make a criminal, because you don't break any laws, right?

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   

The head of the village administration Sofia Arefyeva says that using four-letter words will be especially restricted during sports and culture events.

so "GOAL" is going to cause some issues then?

this law is just plain unenforceable, i really wouldn't worry about it. the best coarse of action is simply to get the crowd to chant obscenities in unison at every sporting event until the law is repealed.

this is a law that the people of Siberia need to either embrace or reject on their own behalf. swearing or not swearing is a cultural issue, not a freedom of speech issue, you can speak and express your opinion without swearing.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
I was born in ex-Soviet country and cursing words are kind of "must-have" in Russian language, it will be a real challenge for authorities to enforce this kind of law.

I can't really imagine Russian speech without swearing....

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
the best coarse of action is simply to get the crowd to chant obscenities in unison at every sporting event until the law is repealed.

That would be the most amazing thing I've ever seen...
I'd pay to see that

How are people so dumb? What are we 6 years old again. Oops you said bad word, time to put money in the cookie jar and wash your mouth out with soap.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by News And History

Do they not have something like freedom of speech? If so I would think this violates it. I'm glad I dont live there because when I watch the UFC many words come out of my mouth and I would be broke at the end.

In any sense this is just stupid! I dont see why they would do this. Ok so people dont want kids picking it up or whatever, but that's where parents come in! I never cursed when I was little and if I did I was in trouble.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
It's Siberia! I mean how the heck are you supposed to talk to anyone without the proper starting statment "
it's COLD!"

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Well, you'll certainly enjoy your servitude under the occultists

More than likely... nothing better than a bit of servitude under occultist elites..
Pity thats probably never going to happen though..

Live totally free of government or be a slave.

And who has ever lived free from government in the past few centuries? And please don't say Americans because noone except Americans believe that multiple century long propaganda campaign to create nationalism in a newly formed country.

because you don't break any laws, right?

I break plenty of laws.... because Im so cool

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
"In America you finish sentence. In Russia sentence finishes you!"

Meaning that in America you finish sentences but in Russia sentences finish you, as in get you killed.

(This is the old Yakov Smirnoff Style Joke at work.)

I am completely against any laws that restrict what is allowed to be said. Once you start doing that it never ends. Whoever is given the power to restrict speech will abuse it for their own purpose.

Swearing may be uncultured but it actually is hardwired to the emotional side of the human brain. Meaning we all have less control over it. You can consciously swear and not swear but don't be surprised when you stub your toe and start screaming obscenities. You do that because the pain makes your brain react emotionally.

Source:

People with damage to parts of the brain connected to expressing complex thought often still can swear. So many scientists think that swearing is tied to more ancient brain areas, especially those that respond to danger and fear.

This is not that far fetched laws like this have started in the United States and Britain...

South Carolina Senator tries to ilegalize swearing

Woman arrested for swearing in her own home

"It doesn't make any sense. I was in my house. It's not like I was outside or drunk," Herb told The Times-Tribune of Scranton. "The toilet was overflowing and leaking down into the kitchen and I was yelling (for my daughter) to get the mop."

British town ilegalizes swearing

Police can give out fixed penalty notices of up to £80 for various public order offences while council officers can impose £75 on-the-spot fines for litter offences.

Why it would be legal to outlaw swearing in the United States...
(Note: I said legal that does not mean it is good or even that it should be legal.)

Swearing and the Law Just as cultures have different attitudes toward swearing and people who swear, they also have different laws governing people's use of expletives. The Constitution of the United States guarantees that people have the right to freedom of speech in the First Amendment. The First Amendment applies specifically to Congress and the federal government, including the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Courts generally interpret that it also applies to state governments.

So at first glance, it seems like people should be able to swear whenever they want and wherever they want because of their First Amendment rights. However, constitutional law can be tricky, and a wealth of court cases has led to a wide variety of judgments surrounding swearing. Obscenity generally falls into the category of unprotected speech -- speech that is exempt from to the First Amendment rule. Other types of unprotected speech include:

• Language that incites people to violence or illegal activity
• Libel and defamation
• Threats
• False advertising

The unprotected speech exclusion is one of the reasons why the FCC can create and enforce decency rules for broadcast television and radio. In addition to obscenity, court cases have examined the use of swearing in the contexts of inciting people to violence, defamation and threats. They have generally ruled that the government does not have the right to prevent blasphemy against a specific religion or to prosecute someone solely for the use of an expletive. On the other hand, they have upheld convictions of people who used profanity to incite riots, harass people or disturb the peace.

Source:

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

That was my first thought.

This is a stupid law, IMO. Anybody who is worried about public swearing should really find a hobby, or something. I suspect that this is nothing more than a plan to generate revenue.

Even though I think this is ridiculous, though, it doesn't violate Free Speech, as it's generally understood. Free Speech doesn't give you the right to say whatever you want, wherever you want.

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by theWCH
Free Speech doesn't give you the right to say whatever you want, wherever you want.

Finally, someone in this thread who has a clue.

I have freedom of speech in Ireland but I still cant go around saying what I want whenever i want about whomever I want... noone has that right

posted on Apr, 15 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Support the oppressed! Deny the their oppressors. We're not any better than the Siberians. We must stand with them. They're being victimize by a tyrannical government.

If we don't fight for them, we're just as unsympathetic as those, who oppress the general population.

top topics

join