It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germany to ban US biotech giant's genetically modified corn strain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Germany to ban US biotech giant's genetically modified corn strain

www.dw-world.de

Germany has decided to ban genetically modified corn, Agriculture Minister Ilse Aigner announced Tuesday, amid concerns over its environmental and economical impact.

Aigner announced a ban on the cultivation of US biotech giant Monsanto's genetically modified corn strain MON 810 after considering a number of studies.

The MON 810 strain is the only genetically modified (GM) crop approved in the European Union and was approved for commercial use in the EU in 1998. The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) has said the strain of corn was safe despite widespread doubts.

MON 810 seeds are the only genetically modified seed currently allowed on German soil.

Monsanto's seed was due to be planted on 3,600 hectares (9,000 acres) of German farm land this year, predominantly in the east of the country.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
unbelivable. is there really a chance to get rid off the monsanto? at least from Europe?

most of us heard for sure that the results on that GMO products were not made public and the french laboratory in which the examination took place was refused the support due to the tests.

and now we can see some turn in the thinking about the GMO.
or the Germans are afraid to loose the inside customers. just around the boarder they have a compatitior (Poland) where the agriculture is still developed by the small farmers and based on traditional methods.

so or so, this is a great news I wanted to share with you

www.dw-world.de
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
great news..although monsanto have threatened to sue the german government if they ban there product...

in europe individual countries cannot decide on these things...it goes to the european courts for them to decide..

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
And Sue they will!

Probably take Germany to the WTO court, where a panel of unelected business men with huge conflicts of interest will decide what Germany can and cannot do.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I knew this thread would be related to Monsanto. Good for the Germans having a backbone, and standing up to this evil corporation. Hopefully other countries take notice and do the same.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
The problem is they have so many tricks up there sleeves, to get there stuff in.

Amazing how anyone even thought this stuff was a good idea, but they see us as useless eaters anyway.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by alienesque

in europe individual countries cannot decide on these things...it goes to the european courts for them to decide..

That's what will happen to America if we let it. People need to bring things like this to the front so that we never can be judged by non elected officials.

Good Find!!!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Complete and utter rubbish!

Germany are hypocrites you will note. They are trying to declare themselves a GM crop free zone, whilst producing GM crops and selling them to the rest of the world.

GM crops are evil. The only reason companies like them is because they are CHEAPER, not more environmentally friendly. Sure, you maybe spraying LESS pesticide (you can't eradicate them completely) but then you let out something FAR WORSE, and with UKNOWN EFFECTS.

I'll take crop spraying any day.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Monsanto and the financial banksters that own it are an integral part of the policy making machinery in the WTO, EU, and many, many, more institutions, think-tanks.

Germany might win this minor skirmish. But lacking a direct multinational effort to restrict the dilution of the natural gene-pool we will see the GM crops everywhere.

You can't regulate nature... the wind, birds, and bees will carry the strain everywhere eventually - they know that. Just look at Mexico.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
That's interesting. I don't know the motive behind this. I need to read more about genetically altered food.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I suspect that the motive behind this is commerce.

Ultimately, the Monsanto business model seeks to make itself the sole source of accepted food items. The Codex Alimentarium will go far in furthering their goals, along with Dow, and the financial institutions that will finance anyone needing to grow food for a population.

Soon any nation who needs assistance to cope with famine will find that the WTO, IMF, World-Bank will dictate with whom they must deal to get the resources to produce food. It will be Monsanto, at any cost.

Perhaps motivations can exceed this simple proposition, but ultimately, if it serves to create a new conglomerate/monopoly; I think we can safely presume that was the intention all along.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Way to go Germany!! Star and Flag from me.

I think Monsanto is still gonna pull through though. NWO FTW

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Monsanto are evil as shown here, if you do have the time then please watch he video as it is very informative and a good eye opener as I always thought that GM crops meant less pesticides, not more!

The world according to monsanto

Google Video Link

Link to video on spitefulgod.net

I do think that as we move forward in the recession and the IMF, WTO, etc start giving out more loans to developing nation that more GM crops will be part of the repayment deal. Thankfully we have a few seed banks but what are the long term dangers of these modified, over pesticide crops on our health.

Damn these profit hungry companies.

[edit on 14/4/2009 by spitefulgod]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
So I recently became aware of this Monsanto company and have had trourble sleeping ever since. This company has been responsible for countless evils over the last Hundred Years and is seemingly aligning to control the world's food supply. Their Genetically Modified seeds will be the end of life on earth as we know it, IMO.

I'm Not sure if this is the same Video spitefulgod posted but this an absolute must see

Google Video Link

I failed at embedding the Video
Check it out, Google: Controlling our Food

[edit on 14-4-2009 by JKLight420]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Germany wasn't the first one to ban the corn and hopefully won't be the last aswell. In Luxembourg it was banned about a good week ago.

Germany plans to ban the use and sale of genetically modified corn from Monsanto Co., alleging it is harmful to wildlife. France, Austria, Hungary, Greece and Luxembourg have already banned Monsanto’s MON 810 corn despite its approval by the European Union. The corn is resistant to the corn borer, which damages crops...

Full article here
www.bizjournals.com...

[edit on 14/4/09 by icblue]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by icblue

However the real problem is the fact that ANY such crop being grown, even on a single acre (hectare?) of land is potentially enough to spread the genetic material everywhere, thus invading your ecosystem.

The gene pool is a dynamic chaotic environment, any input from Monsanto is at the risk of permanent irrevocable damage.

They like to sue farmers who, even accidentally, end up with their crops' genetic fingerprint. I think people should sue Monsanto if their material 'invades' their farm.

Think it'll happen? Fat chance! Monsanto, by virtue of the occult relationship it shares with the barons of industry and the supranational financial community OWNS your laws. If you don't start confronting it, they will eventually OWN you (and me).

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
The problem is they have so many tricks up there sleeves, to get there stuff in.

Amazing how anyone even thought this stuff was a good idea, but they see us as useless eaters anyway.

More like useless cattle.....
"Hello" we modify feed for our food.....They modify food for someone else's food.....

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Good and quite frankly the united states of America should consider banning US genetically modified crops as well.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by gYvMessanger
Good and quite frankly the united states of America should consider banning US genetically modified crops as well.

Unfortunately, in this matter the citizens of the United States have no voice.

Only Corporate citizens count.... the bigger they are... the more they count... and Nationality is a non-issue - Corporations are 'supranational' as far as the US Federal Government is concerned. We might as well be dealing with a religious hierarchy.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
GMO's are just another tentacle of the NWO. They don't have 'your' health in mind but rather an Oligarchy of profits and poison.

What you may not know?

GMOs

top topics

<<   2 >>

join