It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conficker Worm Attacks, Morphs!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Conficker Worm Attacks, Morphs

abcnews.go.com

The sophisticated Conficker worm has infected about 800 computers at the University of Utah, campus officials said today.

The outbreak was first detected Thursday and, by Friday, had spread to computers at the hospitals, medical school and colleges of nursing, pharmacy and health.

Chris Nelson, a University of Utah health sciences spokesman, said that patient data and medical records had not been compromised because they are protected more securely.

The outbreak was still active this morning, although it has been contained, he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-4-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Hardly the apocalyptic scenario that was predicted. Just a good old fashioned money making idea from some teenage geek somewhere!

Although I'm a bit of a hypocrite, I'd turn the guy in for 250k!

I heard somewhere that most viruses are made by the same people that make the anti-virus software. That makes total sense!

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-4-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
See the thing is that the worse that the virus can do is NOTHING!

The longer the virus stays hidden and either is or pretends to be inactive the worse.
The more private data it can collect, or the more computers it can affect over a period of time.
Then one day someone on a throne presses a big red button and there's your apocalypic scenario.

They say that if you are infected you can't go to symantec.com or microsoft.com
But that's what they have gathered based on reading the strongly encrypted code, which they say is a guess because of heavy encryption. So just because you can go to those websites doesn't mean you aren't infected.

Nobody knows anything yet, the code hasn't be decrypted as of yet.

Secondly not many geeks create viruses and worms. Anti-Virus industry is a trillion dollar business, just imagine if oh no, there were no more viruses or worms. Some people would be making a wholeeeeee lotttaaaaaaa less money.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I figured as much with the second part. Do you think that this activation is not the main deal? Maybe a smokescreen or something? God imagine the power someone would have to be able to activate it, if it were possible?

[edit: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post]
Quoting - Please review this link

[edit on 13-4-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Sneaky little thing ain't it.

The guy who controls it, or guys (Maybe even girls, not to be stereotypical, girls can commit crimes to
)
Must really be staying low, if they can keep it up and not tell a single soul or brag the least be, they'll never be caught.

But if they did tell anyone, I hope it would be me, I could use the money. (Porsche.)

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Must really be staying low, if they can keep it up and not tell a single soul or brag the least be, they'll never be caught.

Good point, must be a female. Any male would have to brag about it to somebody! I mean. our egos would make it impossible to keep it on the QT.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

True true, I would go around telling everyone, I scared the bajesus out of Homeland Security! I couldn't do it I couldn't hold it in this long!

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I don't know, if my wife had to keep her mouth just to stay alive, I'd be digging her grave. I think Symantec is behind this whole thing. I'm thinking it won't be long now before they suddenly have the only fix.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Mekanic

I second that statement. Maybe not just Syametc, but I suspect this whole "doomsday" scenario is the Y2K bug all over again. This big, terrifying catastrophe is thats narrowly averted by a conveniently timed 'software upgrade'. Hell, it could even become government mandated to run a "Conficker proof software package" to make sure your nice and "safe" from this apparent supervirus.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
They still haven't decrypted the payload yet??

They are playing the media and treating people like the idiots they are.

This virus is BS. If you are patched, it closes ONE avenue for infection. If you have good passwords, you are protected from the second avenue. All that is left is the USB stick infection. Solved if you disabled Autorun.

Do those three, and you can't get infected unless you are completely stupid and just execute anything without questioning it first.

No AV software required, no hype. Just 100% tech facts. I don't even needto waste my time examining the code.

By the way - it's dictionary comprises of just 30 passwords. That is enough to infect over 12 million PCs. Think about it.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mekanic

I don't know, if my wife had to keep her mouth just to stay alive, I'd be digging her grave. I think Symantec is behind this whole thing. I'm thinking it won't be long now before they suddenly have the only fix.

I know there's a minimum amount that we have to do to reply, but heck that was so funny I had to post a reply so that others may read it! Lol, you have to show your wife that!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Try using McAfee Stinger to scan for it. It's a one use scan that takes awhile, but is worth the time it takes.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mirageofdeceit
They still haven't decrypted the payload yet??

By the way - it's dictionary comprises of just 30 passwords. That is enough to infect over 12 million PCs. Think about it.

I don't know whether you actually know what you’re talking about (I doubt it) - But trust me on this one..... I am NEVER taking your advice on computer security
(nothing personal)

new topics

top topics

join