It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Georgian protests expand on 5th day of rallies to oust president

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Georgian protests expand on 5th day of rallies to oust president

en.rian.ru

TBILISI, April 13 (RIA Novosti) - Thousands of Georgians moved their protests to the presidential residence on Monday to press on with demands for President Mikheil Saakashvili to resign.

Opposition leaders said protesters would stay in front of the residence in central Tbilisi day and night until Saakashvili, criticized for last August's war with Russia and authoritarian trends, stepped down.

"We came to the president, who is not hearing us well," opposition Conservative Party leader Kakha Kukava said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.rian.ru

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Tens of thousands of protesters blocked the main roads of Georgia's capital on April 10th Friday evening, in a civil disobedience campaign to force President Mikheil Saakashvili to resign.

Thats what happens when people hate the way their country ruled!
Saakashvili's opponents blame him for dragging the country into a war with Russia over South Ossetia last August, resulting in the permanent split from Georgia of the province, along with another rebel republic, Abkhazia. He also faces criticism for failure to carry out democratic reforms promised after the 2003 "Rose Revolution" that brought him to power.

Thats 3rd World Country for ya...

en.rian.ru
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Saakashvilli had this coming to him for years now. I am surprised that mass protests started only now and not immediately following the August War.

From what I hear from Georgian opposition sources, is that they plan to continue these protests indefinitely - as long as it takes for Saakashvili to step down. A few more weeks of protests, and the country would start feeling major economic and social impact. A month and Saakashvili's regime might enter a crisis stage.

I am just watching carefully in anticipation when Saakashvilli's regime will throw off its "democracy" veil and start ruthlessly silencing the protests. Eventually he will have to do that or step down. Hopefully then even Americans would see the true colors of that retarded puppet. Without American support, Saakashvilli's regime will be starved and start to crumble from within.

I hope that the protestors find enough strength and courage to continue to pressure the regime.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by maloy
I am just watching carefully in anticipation when Saakashvilli's regime will throw off its "democracy" veil and start ruthlessly silencing the protests. Eventually he will have to do that or step down. Hopefully then even Americans would see the true colors of that retarded puppet. Without American support, Saakashvilli's regime will be starved and start to crumble from within.

I hope that the protestors find enough strength and courage to continue to pressure the regime.

I just have feeling that Americans will blame Russia for starting all that... Ruskies always start everything...

top topics

join