It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cool News - Students Win Over the CIA - Sends them Packing

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

They did achieve something, they increased awareness and potentially prevented their peers from becoming a cog of a sickening machine.

You don't fight an organization as nasty as this from within, you prevent them from growing and becoming more powerful through limiting their abilities at the source.

This is a great example and offers hope for the future. If more people are aware from the beginning, such terrorist organizations will die.

If fewer and fewer people are willing to work for their country in such a negative and destructive way, the damage done in the future will be lessened.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I think this was a victory, not just for the students, but for free speech.

You can hold a belief all day and write letter after letter, but that rarely accomplishes much. Staging a peaceful protest is one way to get your opinion heard.

You can hem and haw all day about what organizations were involved, but it doesn't change the principals for the victory. It just as well could have been an Pro-Choice vs. Right-to-Life.

I don't care what the argument is, the students were able to stage a peaceful protest and struck a major victory for their cause.

Nice work!

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by MajesticJax

I could not have said it better myself my friend. Thank you for saying what was necessary, albeit, unpopular.

There's good and bad in every orginization, club, group, etc, (CNN), and one never knows what lurks around any dark corner.

It is a very dangerous and depraved world we live in SOMETIMES, and I personally am glad we have people who will do the things necessary to protect us.

I also am glad thet we live in a country where students are allowed to do this, and question those organizations, without being jailed and/or executed.

Although I agree with the principle of what you and becky are saying, I must ask this: since you state that you are glad you have people to do things necessary to protect us, does that include toxic testing on its own people? I mean the civilian population here my friend. They have been caught in MANY conspiracies where they tested dangerous drugs and chemicals AND radiation on unknowing and unwilling civilians of this great nation that you peacefully sleep in at night. They do this for OUR security? What about the security of the thousands of innocent AMERICANS they were found guilty of poisoning?

You see where I am going right? I hope you do.

I understand the need for an intelligence service. However, the 'safety at any and all costs' cavemanish mentality simply cannot be allowed. They have to answer for their actions.

The CIA should be disbanded and a new organization should be established with heavy oversight. Period. This PATHETIC excuse of doing things under the veil fo the night for NATIONAL SECURITY cannot be allowed anymore.

If an organization, including our own government, is caught doing something that they shouldn't then they need to answer for it. Period.

The CIA needs to answer for all of the evil they have done. The good they have done does NOT outweigh the evil.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine
The CIA will get recruits and the Urbana protesters will remain unemployed and living in mommy's basement. Most of them probably didn't have any skills the CIA would want, anyway, so they had nothing to lose and everything to gain. They become retro-60's protesters fighting the Goliath and showing their pals how they are dedicated to "the cause."

Apparently, they only want the sophomoric thrill of thinking that they somehow 'beat the CIA' and don't care about anything else. Next week, they'll have a new cause to posture for. Not one of them had the guts to sign up, move up, and work to effect change. That would like take too long and like interfere with weekends so, like duude, it is like so like not worth it, duude.

Wow, I don't think you actually read the story did you?

They were there to recruit, so if there are no worthwhile recruits to be had, why were they there?

The examples of their actions show that, regardless of your obviously restricted view, they knew exactly what they were protesting against and did so with intelligence.

You seem to think every student is an idiot, has no moral standing, is simply following the crowd. You're obviously wrong on every count, as the evidence shows.

Perhaps you look again and see that they chose to deny the C.I.A the opportunity to recruit people for their highly illegal, negative, destructive methods, that is a better and faster way to achieve change than becoming a part of that organization.
One man from within is unlikely to change much, but deny them the fuel in the beginning and they'll have no option but to either change and win trust back, or dissolve the organization altogether.

Either of those options is better than wasting your life in such a destructive organization under the cover of "protecting the people".

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by dariousg

The old saying "sacrifice the few to protect the many" comes to mind. In which case, in a population so large, just how many is a few?

I'm sorry, I don't buy the BS about them working to protect the country. Inevitably, in positions of power, abuse of it is rife.

Even in open government we see regularly how people in such positions use their power for selfish gain. And the C.I.A would be no different except for the fact that they can get away with anything, quite literally.

Corruption is everywhere, and with such a secretive and closed group, none of you can be sure that the majority of their work is for your benefit. In fact, I'd suggest that the vast majority of it isn't.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by tyranny22

That is exactly correct!! Not just a victory for the students, but it was a victory for our "free speech" which seems to have become stiffiled as of late. Yet the Police stood on the side of the students with this event!!

That is the most exciting part of it, especially when you look at the history as of late. Remember the student in Florida, tasered when trying to ask John Kerry a question?

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicaviv
reply to post by jsobecky

Originally posted by TylerKing

George Orwell is the author of 1984. About an "Orwellian society" much like the one we are headed for.

Really? Never heard of it. But the internets said that quote is misquoted to him.

And I love the CIA, but they should really make sure their office in NYC isn't in a building made out of balsa wood next time around.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Originally posted by detachedindividual

They were there to recruit, so if there are no worthwhile recruits to be had, why were they there?

You actually said a mouthful there, whether you realize it or not.

There was probably no CIA-quality material there. But maybe they weren't fishing for recruits.

Did you ever think that the protesters gave them exactly what they were 'fishing' for?

Just askin....

To all others: The best thing this achieved, imo, was a re-statement of the First Amendment. Sometimes it's a good idea to exercise it just to keep the rust away. Sort of like turning a motor over every so often, just to make sure the battery isn't dead.

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Liberal1984

My God what rubbish are you spouting. "Good people that don't join
evil organizations are pacifists"!!?? Where are you getting this utter
nonsense man? Are you joking about this or are you really ignorant
enough to actually believe what you are saying here?

[edit on (14/4/09) by Wehali]

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Originally posted by pteridine
The CIA will get recruits and the Urbana protesters will remain unemployed and living in mommy's basement. Most of them probably didn't have any skills the CIA would want, anyway, so they had nothing to lose and everything to gain. They become retro-60's protesters fighting the Goliath and showing their pals how they are dedicated to "the cause."

Apparently, they only want the sophomoric thrill of thinking that they somehow 'beat the CIA' and don't care about anything else. Next week, they'll have a new cause to posture for. Not one of them had the guts to sign up, move up, and work to effect change. That would like take too long and like interfere with weekends so, like duude, it is like so like not worth it, duude.

The examples of their actions show that, regardless of your obviously restricted view, they knew exactly what they were protesting against and did so with intelligence.

You seem to think every student is an idiot, has no moral standing, is simply following the crowd. You're obviously wrong on every count, as the evidence shows.

Perhaps you look again and see that they chose to deny the C.I.A the opportunity to recruit people for their highly illegal, negative, destructive methods, that is a better and faster way to achieve change than becoming a part of that organization.
One man from within is unlikely to change much, but deny them the fuel in the beginning and they'll have no option but to either change and win trust back, or dissolve the organization altogether.

Either of those options is better than wasting your life in such a destructive organization under the cover of "protecting the people".

Wow, I don't think you actually read my post did you? I said that the protesters likely didn't have the skills, not students that they were actually there to recruit.
Certainly, denying the CIA the ability to recruit at Urbana will bring them to their knees. Hopefully, they didn't buy too much letterhead stock.

posted on May, 13 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
hi everyone.

just my 5 cent opinion,,,

theres good and bad in a lot of things,,,even charity organizations...

The CIA has to deal with a lot of evil bad people.
Sure the US has made a lot of mistakes.

But its the best country in the whole world.!!

ITS a very dangerous world.
And we need top notch,skilled,tuff, and a variety of individuals to do this job..

Its seems now days if one does something your damed if you do or damed if you dont.

The intelligence service thwarts a lot of bad stuff...

huggs everyone,,even if you dissagree with me..

Some of those protesters are nutts and I sure wouldnt want them to direct our national security.
What do you want?
The CIA to be change and get a new name and call it AVON?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join