I feel confident to say that most people in this world have experienced Bullying in one form or another. Whether you were the perpetrator, victim,
bystander or moderator - I'm sure you have seen this very ugly practice. I have come across a range of definitions, but feel it can be best reduced
to the following:
Bullying is using power over a person or people in a harmful way. Bullying goes against our rights, has negative effects on our safety, and can
affect our chances to develop our full potential.
Education is the key to stopping this practice, and the best time to begin this education is as soon as possible. Yes, young children will not
understand the significance of Bullying until they are mentally mature enough, but it is best to teach them what it is, how it works and why it must
not be done. Also, I think it's important that anti-Bullying education should be practised every year of schooling, or as often as possible for each
school and workplace.
Why did I make a thread about Bullying? Well for a few reasons, but mainly I think so many problems in the world could be avoided if Bullying was
prevented, acknowledged and stopped when it does occur. Unfortunately, I myself have been the perpetrator of Bullying in the past. Although I was
rather young when it happened, it's still apart of my history that I regret. I feel one of the ways I can redeem this dark part of my history is to
advocate anti-Bullying ideals that will weaken this malicious psychological tool. This can be done by outlining the very issues that Bullying can
- Bullying is a VERY serious and COMMON problem throughout the world.
- Bullying must be acknowledged, addressed and prevented in the future through education.
- Bullying can lead to low self-esteem, low self-worth, anxiety and depression.
- Bullying causes victims to become isolated, withdrawn and unhappy.
- Bullying can have long-term consequences on the victim's personality, attributes and and confidence.
- Bullying is one of the highest causes of suicide, especially among teenagers and young adults.
- Bullying can lead victims to lose their mental stability and carry out atrocities such as school/university shootings.
- Bullying gives the perpetrator a false sense of security and control over others.
- Those who witness Bullying may be influenced to imitate this behaviour sooner or later in life.
I could spend paragraphs upon paragraphs getting into all the details, but I would rather summarise my views and provide external links on the issues
of Bullying. The following websites provide solid information on effective strategies for dealing with Bullying.
My contention for this topic was to inform the general public about Bullying and its effects. I do not contend that people who commit atrocities such
as school shootings/bombs should be excused for their actions, but hopefully better controlling of Bullying will greatly reduce the number of troubled
individuals who decide to take this option. Also, I hope this article will lead more people to reflect on their lives and how they treat others around
If you are EVER in a situation where you think Bullying might have or be occurring, speak INDIVIDUALLY with those who you think are affected. You
would be surprised how much more open and honest people are when you are one-on-one with them.
PS: If this thread strikes a chord with you, please Star & Flag it so more people will see it and hopefully spread the word.
[edit on 12/4/2009 by Dark Ghost]