It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Question on Time

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Hello, all. A question has been bothering me over the past few months and I want your input. Terrestrial time began billions of years or so ago, but when did galactic time begin? And was there a time before then? Could time be a repeating cycle? I need help!

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Not sure what you mean. The is more than one measurement of Time?

Time is time. galactic, solar, earthly time is all the same, I would imagine. Cycles can be repeated, but i believe these cycles are more spiral in nature, and not passing over the same line, thus making a circle. That would mean it is repeatative, yet it is not. Patterns can reemerge but not fully "happening" exactly the same, so no circle.

Just my thoughts. im no Einstein though so .....

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I take it you mean, was there time before the big bang? I like to think so, because usually everything relies on a "cause and effect" relationship. some say the big bang was the cause, and the universes creation was the effect, but what caused the big bang in the first place? im not sure anyone can answer that one. and you have to remember, Time, is a human construct, meaning; we didnt invent it, but we observed it and named it like so.

I personally feel that time as we observe it here on earth might not be a constant at other points within the universe, such as a planet orbiting a pulsar in just under three days. With the effects of gravity in such a place I think they would have a diffrent outlook on time, (and really great sunblock) but of course i have no way to back that statement up, its just what i like to believe.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Le Colonel

What I mean by 'Terrestrial Time' is the period between the begging and end of our Earth. Yes, time is time, but time is only relative with galactic areas. For example, Earth days are shorter than Mars days because we're closer to the sun. If Martians (if they exist) use 365/24-year/day time like we do, their time, reaching down to the smallest of nano-seconds, will be longer than ours because of their longer yearly orbit and daily rotation. At least, that's what scientists theorize.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I don't believe there is time in the way that you are asking the question. Time is a man made concept....yes if the martians based their clock on the rotation round the sun to us their time would pass slower (i think).....would this mean that the martians lived longer than us ..No...it would only look like they did to us..

Time is only a tool to help us understand the universe and to tell you when you hot dogs been microwaved enough

top topics

join