It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone notice the increase in "god" as we approach 2012?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I am not going to make this a bash religion thread, quite the contrary, I am quite religious, I may not be a Christian, I practice Shintoism, but all the same I have a set of beliefs and faith that keeps me going.

Now.. that being said, here's my problem.

I have noticed an increase in the "God is coming to smite you" ad's threads, both here and elsewhere, people canvassing my neighborhood offering salvation, and all use the 2012 predictions as their base. Correct me if I am wrong but the Mayans were polytheistic, not monotheistic, and as such did not believe that ONE god or ONE savior was going to come to our rescue.

Even the Bible talks about polytheism in a roundabout way, one of the passages if I remember it correctly states that "I am a jealous God you shall not worship another besides me" or along those lines, which suggests more than one God (or Goddess) vieing for the power of the people. What if we're so caught up in this religious fervor that we miss the real events happening around us? Is that just as bad as being ignorant?

Callit a pet peeve of mine, but I don't think using religion, especially nowadays, for the culmination of profit and fear mongering is the best way to go. One should always have faith, but to try and exploit that is just wrong.

Thoughts?

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I am not religious because the group effort is too much for me at the moment. but I've noticed that different faiths are canvassing my city with doomsday fliers so I know what you're talking about. Many of the religious magazines have a starving child, or nuclear weapon on the front.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
My wife is Shinto-Buddhist (like most Japanese). I am not. However, I can accept the 4 affirmations of Shintoism.

Anyway. I have not made up my mind about 2012 and I probably will not. I have a wait and see attitude. There is always the possiblity that something catclysmic will happen on any given day. If I survive, then I will figure out what to do from there. I am not saying that I have not made preparations for disaster. I am saying that I am not pointing to a particular day and buying into thinking it will all end then.

I think some people who are pulling 2012 from their holy book just want to give credence to their religion. They have a look the Myans predicted it too, so it must be true attitude. Some other people really want 2012 to be a real event and they bend religous beliefs or texts in a way that supports their point of view. I think many people overlook the many gods versus one god problem that comes out of trying to use the two together.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
No. I've only noticed an increase in government. Although some people might equate the State with God.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Interesting that you mention this, I have struggled my entire life with believing or having faith, but around 70 days ago that all changed, there was no bright light or burning bush, just after alot of tugging I have just surrendered and Im not making any plans anymore, Gods will be done, whatever that may be.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Your answer as to why is here:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

People that exploit their faith for personal gain are the lowest kind of bottom feeders; exactly why Jesus took the whip to the moneychangers in the temple. Relationship with Jesus is not religion, it is life giving.

[edit on 4/10/2009 by SGTChas]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
The only god push I have seen lately has been your friendly neighborhood Jehovahs witness, but this is the norm here. We never get any other religion knocking on doors where I live.

I do think that religion in general is currently under attack right now and I see many younger or gen y's who are not just following their parents lead any more. Many are now questioning religion and asking more questions or looking for some kind of proof to believe. The more time that passes between the now and the time of Jesus, the less people are inclined to believe(christian wise).

What religion needs right now to help it through these "tough" times is some divine intervention. I think people need a miraculous event to get them back into the churches.

If you do see religion trying to use the 2012 apocolyptic stance to sell themselves, it does not surprise me. Religious groups are generally around during horrific events, to help the needy.

new topics

top topics

join