It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dark Rift and past Extinction.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
We are approaching or we have already entered the Dark Rift. No one knows for sure what is going to happen, all you need to do is to look here at ATS and you see a wealth of possibilities. This thread is not about any of these but about what has happened in the past, did anything significant happen 26,000 years ago. The answer might surprise you.

One theory believes that the Neanderthals and modern humans cohabited as recently as 26,000 years ago. M S S Murthy looks at the questions of extinction that arise from that.
The 'extinct' human

So fossil records show that Neanderthals went extinct between 24 - 28,000 years ago this is interesting to say the least. Could the Dark Rift be the cause or helped to contribute to this extinction event.

It seems that Australia was hit hard at this same time frame as well.

Excavations into the Australian swamp of Lancefield show that a bone bed dated at 26,000 years ago contains perhaps 10,000 giant extinct animals. Associated artifacts suggest that humans were in the area, but the direct cause of death of the animals is, on present evidence, not explicable. Such a recent date for the classic megafauna shows that it was living together with humans for at least 7000 years in southeast Australia. This enduring association argues against a catastrophic and rapid overkill in the Australian Pleistocene.
Lancefield Swamp and the Extinction of the Australian Megafauna

What is more disturbing is if you go back further in time lets say 52,000 or Two Dark Rift encounters ago we find more extinction for the land down under.

The extinction of the Australian megafauna is presently one of the most hotly contested debates in Australian Quaternary sciences. [Roberts et al., 2001. U-series and ESR analyses of bones and teeth relating to the human burials from Skhul. Journal of Human Evolution. 49, 316–334.] proposed contentiously that the megafauna went extinct within a short time period somewhere in the range of 39,000–52,000 years ago. Being tucked away at the continental fringe, Kangaroo Island offers an ideal refuge for the megafauna for survival.
A cautionary tale from down under: Dating the BlackCreek Swamp megafauna site on Kangaroo Island, South Australia

Some of the information presented here is contested.

So far we have the extinction of the Neanderthals occurring around the same time as the last contact with the Dark Rift along with extinction events possibly happening in Australia with the last two Rift events.

Super Eruption

Here is another event that has happen with the last within the last three Rift time frame:

Scaling up from smaller eruptions is all the experts can do, too, since no one in recorded history has ever seen a supereruption. (The last one, depending on whose definition of supereruption you use, was either 26,500 or 74,000 years ago.) "It's very difficult to forecast quite what would happen, because it would be of a scale we just have no experience of," says Stephen Sparks, a volcanologist at Bristol University in England.
The Next Big One

26,000 years ago or 23,000bc saw ocean levels the lowest they will ever be, as most of the world is covered in a Ice Age, the Bering Land bridge is estimated to be 700 miles across and London could have been covered by upto 10,000 feet of ice and you could walk from England to France.

So here are a few things that have happened in the same time frame of past contact with the Dark Rift.

[edit on 10-4-2009 by LDragonFire]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
this is all good, and ofcours all the things pointing to the fact that solaris is moving down thru the galactic plane and the Oort cloud dosnt help the matter much..

Have look at this one, it has been posted here before, but I want to add it to the current discussion as it holds evidence pointing to the Exact same event. Melted sand (glass) on the moon is an ultimate proof that this has happend and might as well be happening now,.

Link here

One should read both parts. Very nice reading ...

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather
this is all good, and ofcours all the things pointing to the fact that solaris is moving down thru the galactic plane and the Oort cloud dosnt help the matter much..

I wonder if this is the same cloud thats could disrupt our electromagnetic field?

Have look at this one, it has been posted here before, but I want to add it to the current discussion as it holds evidence pointing to the Exact same event. Melted sand (glass) on the moon is an ultimate proof that this has happend and might as well be happening now,.

Link here

One should read both parts. Very nice reading ...

That is a cool link, thanks for posting it. The 26,000 year cycle it is easy to go back in time to see if anything happened. I find it fascinating that this Dark Rift event could have lead to the extinction of -Neanderthal or is it just coincidence?

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
From what I unsderstand what occurs every 26,000 years is the precession of equinoxes whch basically just means completing a rotation we have smaller cycles of precession also.I don't really get the whole dark rift theory if it is talking about the black hole at the center of the galaxy it would have no affect on earth even if we were in exact alignment with it.Only what enters a bhs event horizon feels the affect.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by dee132423
From what I unsderstand what occurs every 26,000 years is the precession of equinoxes whch basically just means completing a rotation we have smaller cycles of precession also.I don't really get the whole dark rift theory if it is talking about the black hole at the center of the galaxy it would have no affect on earth even if we were in exact alignment with it.Only what enters a bhs event horizon feels the affect.

From what I understand the black hole in the center of our galaxy gravity is so immense that it flattens itself out and this thin layer of gravity is what the rest of the galaxy spins on, we are or have entered into this thin layer of intense gravity, I have also heard that it takes 7 years to move through this not sure if this is accurate.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Gravity does not "flatten out". The distortion of space, caused by matter, occurs equally in all directions.

The "Dark Rift" (also called the Great Rift) is a cloud of inter-stellar dust which lies between the Solar System and the center of the Galaxy. It is several thousand light years away and we are not going to enter it any time soon.
www.britannica.com...

[edit on 4/10/2009 by Phage]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies, but this thread is not about proving or disproving the many 2012 scenarios, but about looking to the past and to attempt to see what happened the last time we were in this situation.

I have found three more volcano eruptions that occurred 26,000 years ago or around 23,000 BC.

Popo is one of the most active volcanoes in Mexico. The Aztecs recorded eruptions of Popo in the years 1347 and 1354, and there have been at least 15 eruptions since the Spanish arrived in 1519. Most of the eruptions in the past 600 years have been relatively mild. However, geologists have found evidence that more destructive eruptions in 14,000 BC and in 23,000 BC threw large amounts of ash as far away as Mexico City, as well as causing avalanches. The last major Plinian eruptions were in 400 BC and 822 AD.
Mt Popo

It began, according to archeological evidence, with an earthquake—a shift in the deep-lying Miocene limestone basement of the Aegean that somehow altered the balance of huge underground forces. Earthquakes are a common phenomenon in much of the Near and Middle East (Aramco World, May-June, 1971) and Santorin has the misfortune of lying above the intersection of two geologic faults. At this spot the volcano had been rebuilding itself after its last great eruption sometime around 23,000 B.C.,
Santorini

Around 23,000 BC, during the cataclysms that marked the forelast shift of the earth's poles, an explosion of incredible magnitude formed the gigantic Batur caldera which today has a diameter of ca. 13 km - one of the largest and most impressive in the world. Before that eruption Mt Batur rose about 3,800 m above sea level and it was thus higher than Mt Agung (3,142 m / 10,308 feet).
Batur Volcano

Again this thread isn't about 2012 but about what has happened in our past in the times of the dark rift.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   

As I pointed out the dark rift is far too distant to have any affect on the Earth.

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

As I pointed out the dark rift is far too distant to have any affect on the Earth.

There are theories that say otherwise, but Im sure there is a thread for that discussion. Are you going to add anything of the past? You know concerning this thread?

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Since the thread title is "The Dark Rift and past Extinction" and in the OP you state "We are approaching or we have already entered the Dark Rift", one would assume that discussion of the Rift would be on topic.

But, since you want to narrow the discussion:
You cite two studies and seem to be implying that they discuss two different extinction events for Australian megafauna. This makes no sense. The animals being discussed disappeared at roughly the same time. Extinction is forever. How could there be two separate extinctions of the early Australian megafauna? Were they wiped out 52,000 thousand years ago, re-evolved, then wiped out again 26,000 years later? The papers you cite are not talking about separate events, they are talking about different time frames for the same event. They are talking about the same animals. It is the time frame (and causes) of the extinctions which is under debate. BTW, the Gillespie paper was written in 1977. Quite a lot of research has been done since then, his late dating has a few problems. The dating is getting narrowed down to about 45,000 years ago.

Here's a question for you about the Australian extinctions. If we pass through the Dark Rift every 26,000 years, why was it only on the last trip (or two, if you think something can go extinct twice) that the animals disappeared? What about the thousands of times it happened in the millions of years that the animals existed before then? Why don't we see other mass extinctions every 26,000 years. What would make Australia so special? Why would the Neanderthals (who also lived through many other trips through the Rift) be killed off only during the most recent passing? Why weren't we wiped out along with them. Your theory must account for these discrepancies.

There is no pattern of extinction and we are not approaching the Rift and we certainly have not entered it.

[edit on 4/10/2009 by Phage]

posted on Apr, 10 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Quasars anyone?

we dont know much about them, apart they spew vast amounts of energy many light years across and they are seen coming out of the core of very active galaxys.

just look at our solar year, the length of time for our spiral arm and sun to rotate the galaxy, well these quasars spew out energy, in different directions.

anybody know more about quasars, bit more info would e good if you can get technical about them.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

I disagree with you about this. All you have to do is look at any image of the Galaxy and see it is a flat spinning spiral, and to say it's gravitational forces will not affect us is wishful thinking at best.

posted on Apr, 13 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire

I disagree with you about this. All you have to do is look at any image of the Galaxy and see it is a flat spinning spiral, and to say it's gravitational forces will not affect us is wishful thinking at best.

Earth is ALWAYS under the gravitational effect of the Galaaxy, we are part of it you know!
Just because every Tom,DICK and Harry is latching on to 2012 etc doesn't mean there is any truth in it , A lot of the info on the net directs to you to books ,dvd's etc ie people out to make money out of the naivety and gullibility of the general public.
Phage knows a lot more about Astronomy than you do have a look at some of his posts.
2012 will pass and nothing will happen
dark rift or not.

top topics

join