It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is the deal with gold?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I've searched on ATS about what the deal with gold is, but I am still having trouble figuring out if there is any correlation to the NWO.

It seems like every other commercial is telling me to invest in gold. I even got a newspaper today that had a "post-it" on it that said "invest in gold, call this number, blah blah". A few days ago I was on the NJ turnpike and saw a billboard that said "invest in gold". But what bothers me most is that if everyone starts investing in gold and all these firms start buying gold, won't the price go down? I know the US currency is already going down, but now gold? I am just trying to figure out what is going on with this whole thing because A) It is getting annoying that every other thing I see in my every day life is to "invest in gold" and B) There is too much of the "invest in gold" campaigns going on to say that there isn't a direct involvement with the "higher power".

Yes, I do quote a lot. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Supply and demand.
The more gold people buy, the higher the price will rise.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
But all of a sudden? How come this wasn't always a big campaign to get people to invest in gold?

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
All the advertisements are getting annoying. In todays times people are more and more skeptical on investing in "financials" as they have proven to be very turbulent. People are feeling safer with commodities such as gold/silver. They have always been a source of worth related to these metals.

Now on the flip side, if people invest in them too much and the value goes down because people realise that it is a metal that you can't eat or wear then who knows. But it still seems much safer than the financials right now. Had you bought gold a few years ago and sold it a month or so ago, you would have made a huge profit.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Simply, there's money to be made by middlemen, in the gold market. There's always a surcharge for buying/selling, and those who don't want to deal with it directly are usually willing to pay a small commission to such brokers. That's why there's ads.

As an investment, my opinion is that gold (and other tangible commodities) are an excellent hedge for the low-risk completely-liquid portion of your portfolio. A mixture of metals (less impacted by inflation) and cash-linked assets (more impacted by inflation) is a excellent 'balanced' combination that can reduce some uncertainty with regard to inflation. It's not a complete investment strategy, however.

Edit to mention: For those considering investing in gold or metals, be sure to take physical delivery! Do not rely on 'gold-market' accounts and such. Such mistrust may seem overly paranoid, but considering the many recent instances of fraud seen in the financial markets, it's really prudent to not consider mere notations on an accounting ledger somewhere to be a reliable 'hard' investment.

[edit on April 9th 2009 by Ian McLean]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Black Ops
But all of a sudden? How come this wasn't always a big campaign to get people to invest in gold?

Well companies that sell bullion always sell it maybe around 1% above base price, so they'll always make money on a sale. Now more than ever I'd say people are worried about the economy so it makes sense to advertise. With people losing a lot of money, or all, in stocks and other investments, gold really doesn't look that bad. You'll never lose all your money in gold, it went to somewhere around the $700 dollar mark in November but already its gone up quite a bit.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
They wan't you to buy gold now because there are very strong rumours that about 450 tonnes of the stuff is about to be dropped into the market... Essentially flooding said market and the price will drop like a pubescent boy's family jewels ie OVERNIGHT

I will look for a link - my mouse has finally given up the ghost - I'll have to dig out an old one!

Edit - why wont large text work?? grrrr

[edit on 9/4/2009 by Now_Then]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
They wan't you to buy gold now because there are very strong rumours that about 450 tonnes of the stuff is about to be dropped into the market... Essentially flooding said market and the price will drop like a pubescent boy's family jewels ie OVERNIGHT
[edit on 9/4/2009 by Now_Then]

See that is what I read as well, but why invest in it if there is a plan to put that much into the market? It's almost like there is no honest way to make money now-a-days. Everyone is trying to rip someone off. meh, whatever. Thanks for all the incite.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Black Ops

A quick calculation based on $905 (US) per troy once makes that $13,093,391,580

Or almost 13.1 billion dollars worth... No idea if they would do that sort of thing in one big dump, or drip it in over time... Either way that's one hell of a chunk of change.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

In some ways, that's the "conspiracy of free-market capitalism". If there's predictability in a free market, that translates directly into opportunity for better-than-average investment speculation, with lower-than-average risk. As those opportunities are taken advantage of, they act to influence the market, "closing the gap". In that way, a truly free market acts to minimize predictability and the benefit of static investment models.

Now, the other conspiracy aspect is how the markets are used in ways that are not free and fair, but rather biased and manipulated... but the structural aspects of capitalism should not be ignored.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
And now for an alternative view:

Some theorist, including Jim Marrs, make the hypothesis that aliens came to earth a long time ago to mine our gold to repair their damaged atmosphere. This being a tiresome and time consuming task, aliens genetically engineered humans to in essence be slaves and mine the gold for them. As ludicrous as this sounds, Jim Marrs makes a strong argument for this in his book “Rule By Secrecy.” He weaves a web from current history back to antiquity supporting these theories using ancient, recently deciphered Sumerian tablets as well as The Old Testement.

Look around and you will see we are still mining. Most married people wear a gold ring. Gold as jewelry rarely goes out of vogue.

Some further suggest that the looming date of 2012 will be when these aliens come back to collect our mining efforts. This ties in with the said planet of Nibiru.

I don’t know how much I personally subscribe to these ideas but, Jim Marrs makes a very compelling argument. He doesn’t even mention this theory until the last chapter of his book, all previous chapters seeming to lead, intelligently, to this conclusion. Alien engineering of humans seems very plausible to me, the return of Planet X – Nibiru….not so much.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
HAHAHA, So each night at around 8 i see a commercial. 'Cash for gold', asking you to send in your gold so they can pay you, blah blah blah. Then DIRECTLY after that one, they have a commercial SELLING gold. The traffic department at the station fell asleep at the switch on that one, haha.

Ive seen numerous expose's on how cash for gold generally give you between 1/2 and 2/3rd's of your items value. and you know the gold they are selling to you in the next commercial is WAY over priced.

I just wonder if its the same guys who run both; smelting it down and then tricking people into buying their gold back, all while losing 2/3rds of their initial investment.

They get the sheep coming and going, hahaha.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I read that the IMF, which is the one selling the gold stores, will span the sale over a period of time as to not impact the price to as much of a degree. Really though, if you're going to buy, the time would be while this sale is going through. Once it's done, prices would probably go up.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The deal with gold???

Why didn't you know?

It is the flesh of the gods!!!

Waste it not!

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Black Ops
I've searched on ATS about what the deal with gold is, but I am still having trouble figuring out if there is any correlation to the NWO.

If the price goes up, then people around here of accusing the NWO of stockpiling gold to pay for their war of world domination, thus reducing supply. If the price goes down, the NWO is accused of flooding the market with too much gold to destabilize the global economic system so they can move in and take over when civil unrest happens.

That's the great thing about the NWO. They're an all-purpose scapegoat.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67
Some theorist, including Jim Marrs, make the hypothesis that aliens came to earth a long time ago to mine our gold to repair their damaged atmosphere.

So they were technologically advanced and powerful enough to genetically engineer humans to dig for gold, but not enough to mine it for themselves. Also it might have just as easily for them to genetically modify moles or worms or other underground-dwelling creatures to do it, rather than large, clumsy, poorly adapted humans.

We like gold because it's soft, easy to work, and shiny. Never rusts.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Ah, and you've noticed what I noticed a while back! Gold is no different than paper money really, except that gold will always have at least a little value. I wouldn't buy gold now if my life depended on it, simply because it is so high. The only way to make money with gold is to buy low and sell high, or trade for goods which we no longer have a system in place to do that.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Gold is special.

We fail to understand......

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The physical gold market is tiny. The non-physical gold market is 100 times bigger. While some of the gold investors are legit, many are not. Plus those who are legit know that at some point the market will over reach, when investors realize that they will neither actually receive any gold, nor be able to dispose of the 'asset'.

Buying gold is a good investment but get physical gold, it won't lose it's value.

posted on May, 14 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by drsmooth23

Ive seen numerous expose's on how cash for gold generally give you between 1/2 and 2/3rd's of your items value. and you know the gold they are selling to you in the next commercial is WAY over priced.

First Cash 4 gold and the other companies do not pay for diamonds or any other precious stones in the jewelery they get so this is extra profit for them.

Also they do not melt all the jewelery they get. Anything of collectors value or that can be resold at a value well above gold will be resold as is.
so in some cases they are just giving the people 1/8 to 1/4 the value.

Plus they get a lot of stolen jewelery. the cops here in Calif have found cash 4 gold envelopes on thieves where they were ready to do there burglary walk to the nearest mail box and drop it and wait for there check.

Now for the companies trying to sell gold.
they don't want gold in there safe when the price goes down so they will tell you anything to get you to buy there gold.

They know that the price is likely to drop as the economy improves so they want desperately to clear the gold from there safe by selling it to you.

You don't see the high numbers of these commercials when gold is at lows or rising, you only see them when gold is at tops or falling.

I was in the gold mining business for 35 years last as a mine superintendent.

I have been dealing with gold for many years.

i have followed gold sales for over 40 years and have seen it all.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join