It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consumerism : the deadly equation

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Torsion girl
Sacrificing the environment and fueling the oppression of the poor is NOT a small cost.

that's a matter of opinion, it depends on the value you asign these things. if you don't give a rats about the environment or other people but you care a lot about yourself, it's little cost.

lot's of people are just that selfish, look around you.

Global consumerism is the GOAL, not a side effect.

who's goal? consumerism was marketted worldwide after the domestic market was saturated, you'll need to convince me that it was more than maket forces that pushed the border outward.

I am pointing out the fact that consumerism has taken over to the extent that we are now seeing hill side shephards in India with no money taking loans out so they can talk on a celly. That is the spread of ideologies, not just of technologies.
before he had it, he had to walk two days to contact humanity, now he doesn't. the expense is justified for him. i'm just pointing out that phones are a bad example. it over plays the spread of consumerism, as in the pointless purchase syndrome.

And we agree. I love that initial idea of the American Dream, don't you??

not really, in principle perhaps, but generally speaking it's just more branding. to define that idea as the american dream is to restrict it to america, which was probably the reason it was first called "the american dream". "it might be alright for the colonies but damned if we want it spread about".

I have very little fear about what is to come, but I don't think that the "American dream" stands to be much improved in the next ten years. Different, yes...better? Probably not.

so long as americans think themselves or their ideals above the rest of humanity things will get worse. scrap the american dream, it's a physiological tool of oppression both at home and abroad. the truth is, ordinary westerners are the NWO consumerist cabal of conspirators and americans the worst of the lot. we need to be realistic, the world can't support a planet of american living standards.

<< 1   >>

join