It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
by Japan's Ministry of Defense
In response to the issue of the flying object launched by North Korea, the Minister of Defense has issued an order to the SDF units, etc., today concerning measures to destroy ballistic missiles or other objects. The outline of the order is as attached.
1. On March 12, 2009 (Japan time; same hereinafter), North Korea gave an advance notification to the International Maritime Organization (IMO) of their planned launch of a “test communication satellite,” specifying danger zones in the Sea of Japan and the Pacific Ocean from 11:00 to 16:00 on Apr. 4 to 8. In response to this and other relevant information the Self-Defense Forces (SDF) shall take necessary measures under the Emergency-Response Procedures Concerning Measures to Destroy Ballistic Missiles or Other Objects as Stipulated under Article 82-2, Paragraph 3 of SDF Law (No. 165 of 1954 law, hereafter called the Law) to destroy a ballistic missile which is confirmed to fall on Japan’s territory, in order to prevent damage to human life and property under a situation suddenly changed where a ballistic missile etc. is flying towards our country.
2. The Commander of the Air Defense Command shall take necessary measures to destroy the ballistic missile, etc. which is confirmed to fall on Japan’s territory, pursuant to the following procedures. The force which receives instructions from the Commander of the Air Defense Command concerning measures to destroy the said object shall be termed the BMD Joint Task Force, and the said Commander shall be termed the Commander of the BMD Joint Task Force Commander.
(1) Size of the force
The BMD Joint Task Force shall consist of destroyers equipped with the Standard Missile-3 (hereinafter referred to as SM-3), units for intelligence and surveillance operations, air defense units equipped with the PAC-3 Patriot missiles (hereinafter referred to as PAC-3; the said unit shall be hereinafter referred to as PAC-3 unit), and the Aircraft Control and Warning Wings.
(2) Duration of the order
The order shall expire on April 10, 2009, unless additionally ordered.
(3) Scope of objects targeted for destruction
A ballistic missile, etc. that is judged to be launched by North Korea which is confirmed by Japan’s Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) system to fall on Japan’s territory.
(4) Method to destroy the object
An SM-3 or PAC-3s shall be launched to destroy an incoming ballistic missile, etc. over Japanese territory or the high seas in the vicinity of Japan (including an exclusive economic zone stipulated under the United Nations Convention on Law of the Sea).
(5) Areas of operation
Japanese territory, the high seas in the vicinity of Japan and the airspaces over such areas
Concerning the SM-3 equipped destroyers and the PAC-3 units, the area of operation will be as follows:
a. SM-3 equipped destroyers:
The area of operation will be limited to places within the Sea of Japan where it can protect the Tokyo metropolitan area and other parts of Japanese territory including the surrounding areas that fall under the trajectory of a ballistic missile, etc., launched by North Korea.
b. PAC-3 units
Area of operation will be limited to GSDF Camp Iwate, GSDF Iwate Yamanaka Training Area, GSDF Camp Akita, GSDF Araya Training Area, GSDF Camp Asaka, GSDF Narashino Training Area, ASDF Kamo Sub-base, ASDF Ichigaya Base, and ASDF Narashino Sub-base.
3. The following organizations and officers shall provide necessary supports and take other measures for the implementation of this order:
The Headquarters of the Northeastern Army, the Headquarters of the Eastern Army, the Chief of the Signal Brigade, the Chief of the GSDF Information Security Command, the Chief of the GSDF Central Duty Support Service, the Commander in Chief of the Self Defense Fleet, the Headquarters of the Regional Armies of GSDF, the Commander of the Communications Command, the Commander of the Maritime Materiel Command, the Commander of the Air Support Command, the Commander of the Air Development and Test Command, the Commander of the Air Training Command, and the Commander of the Air Materiel Command Headquarters.
4. Immediately after the launching of a ballistic missile, etc. is confirmed, the Headquarters of the Regional Armies of GSDF, the Commander of the Central Readiness Force, the Commander in Chief of the Self Defense Fleet, and the Commander of the Air Defense Command shall collect information to confirm damage in the Japanese territory.
Details of procedures necessary for implementing this order shall be instructed by the Chief of Staff, Joint Staff.