It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 is a joke

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
If you have good, scientifically vindicated evidence to believe in any of these claims, I'll be the first to jump on board.

Otherwise, it's just superstitious nonsense -- something we have far too much of already, in this world.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Ah, lots of nice intelligence people in this gathering. =)

Anyways, cough, my name.

I used the name relatively because I hope for some sort of revolution, spiritually.

What I do know will happen, the galactic alignment.

What I don't know will happen, people liking popcorn flavored jellybeans. Epic failure of design.

Anyways.

Threads like this don't help people....they just make all the fanatics get angry.

Do some good, explain to people how they shouldn't be fear mongering, stop trying to ruin everyone's charade.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
According to Neil Degrasse Tyson planet earth aligned every year on Dec 21st so nothing has happened so there is nothing to worry about.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadowland8
The only thing which will occur is the galactic alignment or whatever, where the sun aligns with the center of the milky way I believe.

Yes it's a rare event only happening 21,000 years or so, but that's it. Nothing more.

NASA’s “Ask an Astrobiologist” website

Question

Hi, i have a question about the sun alignment in the center of the galaxy in 2012. Will the sun be in the EXACT center of the galaxy? or just lined up/next to the center of the sun. If you can, can you explain this to me. (15 years old) Thank you very much.

Answer

I can’t explain it because it is just an Internet hoax. There is no alignment with the center of the Galaxy in 2012 or any time. As to the Sun being in the center of the Galaxy, that it impossible; the Sun and solar system will always remain at about 30,000 light years from the galactic center. These stories on the Internet are simply lies, and I am sorry if they have been a problem for you. A lot of the stuff on the Internet is wrong, and you have to learn to distinguish the truth from the lies. One simple test is to ask if any of these claims are made by real scientists, or if they have been reported in newspapers or on TV news. The stories about alignments or disaster striking in 2012 do not pass this test.

David Morrison
NAI Senior Scientist
July 7, 2008

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ghoulardi

You're quoting NASA? They might be right, but I wouldn't put my money on it.

We'll just have to wait and see in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 4 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ub1476

Yeah, supernaturual events never happen right?

Must be a hoax, UFOs are swamp gas last time I checked.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I hope this is BS. I'd like more time to live my life.

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Well, I for one am not worried about it. I'm actually welcoming this....whatever may happen. It'll be exciting for sure!

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Its going to be a galactic alignment of our solar system with the supermassive black whole in the center of our galaxy. To say that nothing is going to happen when not even considering the implications of the event is rather ignorant. Do your research. This event last happened around 21, 000 years or so. Sometime around that period of time there was a great extenction of some kind. Could the galactic alignment have had something to do with it? It's entirely possible. From en.wikipedia.org...:

The Apex of the Sun's Way, or the solar apex, is the direction that the Sun travels through space in the Milky Way. The general direction of the Sun's galactic motion is towards the star Vega near the constellation of Hercules, at an angle of roughly 60 sky degrees to the direction of the Galactic Center. The Sun's orbit around the Galaxy is expected to be roughly elliptical with the addition of perturbations due to the galactic spiral arms and non-uniform mass distributions. In addition, the Sun oscillates up and down relative to the galactic plane approximately 2.7 times per orbit. This is very similar to how a simple harmonic oscillator works with no drag force (damping) term. These oscillations often coincide with mass extinction periods on Earth; presumably the higher density of stars close to the galactic plane leads to more impact events.

Also the wierd gravitational influences on our Sun could create massive sunflares that could inevitably destroy most if not all life on this planet. From science.nasa.gov...:

"History shows that big sunspot cycles 'ramp up' faster than small ones," he says. "I expect to see the first sunspots of the next cycle appear in late 2006 or 2007—and Solar Max to be underway by 2010 or 2011."

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Just like the Medieval Ages again...

They thought comets signaled omens; eclipses triggered plagues and diseases.

Except this time its just with a date.

If anything bad happens, those charlatans will just point their pudgy fingers and say 'I told you so!" in their most smug voice. Then wait for the world to end. And when it doesn't they will say that they never believed it in the first place.

First it was 999, then it was 1990, then 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007, 2009 (I hope not!) and now its 2012. Whats next? 2043?

Something bad will most likely happen, but judging on Humanity's skill in prophesying apocalyptic events, I'd say there's still a long shot to go.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Black holes are only known to affect what enters their event horizons.If we were to perfectly align with it for some reason it would have no effect on earth.For hypothetical purposes the sun becomes a black hole,yes,we would all freeze but,the planet would continue to circle the sun as we would not be close enough to the event horizon to experience any kind of pull.The last great extinction known was 65 million years ago it was the dinosaurs.Scientists believe humans may have suffered great times of death due to famine,disease and droughts.The cycle you are talking about occurs every 26,000 years the precession of equinoxes which will occur on the winter solstice of 2012.
Solar cycle 24 did not start in 06 or 07 we are currently in a deep solar minimum.A sunspot from solar cycle 23 was observed a couple of months ago and one for 24 a few weeks ago however it decayed within 24 hours.Cycle 24 is now expected to peak in 2013 and be weaker then what was previously reported.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by komp_uk
* Mayans Call it the 'end days' or the end of time as we know it.

Hah.

No, Mayans NEVER once hinted, nor said that the world would end when the calendar ended at 2012. In fact, they had thought that there were calendar cycles before it, and there will be cycles afterwards.

In fact, one prominent Mayan character in history(just look up the date, you should find him), said that there will be a Royal Anniversary in the year of 4772. Obviously, they would not say anything of the year of 4772 if 2012 was the end of days?

In fact, this entire argument has it's own little argument. Most people aren't even exactly sure if the mayans wanted the calendar to end on 13.0.0.0.0 or 13.13...
If so, we still have a long, long time till the calendar ends.

But, go on with your hysteria on the topic. It's quite entertaining to read.

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by komp_uk

Originally posted by komp_uk
Its not just one culture/civilisation that has 2012 as a date to note.

* Hopi Predict a 25yr period of purification followed by End of Fourth World and beginning of the Fifth.
* Mayans Call it the 'end days' or the end of time as we know it.
* Maoris Say that as the veils dissolve there will be a merging of the physical & spiritual worlds.
* Zulu Believe that the whole world will be turned upside down.
* Hindus Kali Yuga (end time of man). The Coming of Kalki & critical mass of Enlightened Ones.
* Incas Call it the 'Age of Meeting Ourselves Again'.
* Aztec Call this the Time of the Sixth Sun. A time of transformation. Creation of new race.
* Dogon Say that the spaceship of the visitors, the Nommo, will return in the form of a blue star
* Pueblo Acknowledge it'll be the emergence into the Fifth World
* Cherokee Their ancient calendar ends exactly at 2012 as does the Mayan calendar.
* Tibetan Kalachakra teachings are prophesies left by Buddha predicting Coming of the Golden Age.
* Egypt According to the Great Pyramid (stone calendar), present time cycle ends in year 2012 AD

I am currently writing up a document that takes 1000's of hours of research and makes a clear picture in my mind. It does make a sort of sense.

2012 is a date we should be aware of for some reason.

When is the document that you are writing going to be finished. You definitely have lots of knowledge on the issue, and I'm certain lots of people would like to read it. I know I do.

[edit on 8-4-2009 by alfalphie]

[edit on 8-4-2009 by alfalphie]

posted on Apr, 8 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by alfalphie

komp_uk plans to have it finished by 22-12-2012 DOH!
You to can have his knowlege GOOGLE IT.
2012 is utter BS as you will see on 22-12-2012 when all the doomsayers on here CHANGE the date of doom yet again!

[edit on 8-4-2009 by wmd_2008]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by el.rebelde
Hi everybody,

Just voicing my concern over all this 2012 business that a lot of people seem to be worrying about. I first came across the subject about 12 years ago when my farther introduced me to some Mayan mythology, since then I have watched this date snowball out of control into something of an embarrassment.

Which is it going to be?

Alien Invasion
Comet
Planet x
Spiritual evolution
Solar Flair
Polar shift
Super Volcanoe
Black hole

blah blah blah.

In reality 2012 is only a date taken from one civilization - ONE - out of the hundreds of civililizations throughout history that created their own calenders everybody just got up and said hey lets take the Mayan one seriously, WHY?

It's painfully obvious that you haven't done much homework on many subjects of 2012 by your sarcasim here. However, I don't want to chastise you for that. What I want to do is give you some information you appear to not have.

Emperor Constantine (I'm sure you know who he was) changed the calendar that the Hebrew people used, which was also derived from the Sumerians, passed on to the Egyptians and to the western world civilizations of the Inca, Mayans and Aztecs. The old world calendars were based on Astronomy. The new calendar forced upon civilization by the Catholic Church was one we currently use today. Have you ever wondered why the Farmer's Almanac was still "spot on"? It is based on the old world calendars.

I think you're being "skeptical" about 2012 without truly understanding its impact on our world. I would not be so quick to rush to judgment about it as you have. You might find youself running for cover or trying to hide when you should have been preparing for it all along. In that instance, I would hate to be you. It would just suck.

For more information on 2012 issues, visit December 21, 2012

[edit on 4/9/2009 by Evisscerator]

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by PowerSlave

i considered the possibility that the biblical text is describing eclipses, solar and lunar. sun darkens, moon turns deep red.
lunar

solar

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Thanks for clearing this up buddy.

Im sick of hearing this "End of the world" crap.

No one can predict it. It will happen over time.

Everyone do yourselves a favor and YouTube: 'Tool - Aenema' and have a listen.

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Evisscerator

Well most of us would hate to be you being worried about something which is mumbojumbo of the greatest kind if Nibiru DID exist it would have been spotted by amatuer astonomers long ago.
I will really PMSL at all the LAME excuses you guys come up with when nothing happens.
Roll on 2013 when all this rubbish stops thats of course if a new date for doom doesn't appear
(WHICH IT WILL)

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
End of the world is like a never ending story.

And when you prediction comes true.. YOU CANT EVEN GLOAT ABOUT IT!

posted on Apr, 9 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Actually, the statement about it being from one civilization is partially untrue. While there is no proof (there really isnt proof to a lot of things we consider fact...), it is suggested that the mayan calender is a borrowed design from the Egyptians, who presumably borrowed it from the Sumerians. So while the 'end of the world' theory may be a bit of a stretch, I do believe that if all of these ancient cultures were following the same calendar, and each believed there to be significance at the end of each great cycle, perhaps something is bound to happenl. It may be earth altering, or it may be some cosmic event we aren't even aware of.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join