It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Myth of 90 Percent: Only a Small Fraction of Guns in Mexico Come From U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

The Myth of 90 Percent: Only a Small Fraction of Guns in Mexico Come From U.S.

www.foxnews.com

You've heard this shocking "fact" before -- on TV and radio, in newspapers, on the Internet and from the highest politicians in the land: 90 percent of the weapons used to commit crimes in Mexico come from the United States.....There's just one problem with the 90 percent "statistic" and it's a big one:

It's just not true.

In fact, it's not even close. By all accounts, it's probably around 17 percent.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
In the article it sites numerous sources that have quoted the 90% figure, this was done to scare the public into thinking we are supporting the Mexican drug lords and help push HR 45 and HR 645. It is only after this figure has been said to so many that the real figure comes out. To be honest I am not surprised that Fox News has it on their site. Politics is all about making the "facts" fit your agenda, and they did not here. Please inform other of this gross misinformation.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
while Mexico is looking pretty bad, i can't help but think this is one more step towards the North American Union

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
The NAU and the complete regulation over firearms in the US. They are trying to take away our second amend right. This has been repeated time and time again. A nation will not allow its self to go under when the public is well armed. Only when the public has no way of defending its self will it go under and that is what the administration is striving towards.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Yep, remember your parents telling you:

"If a person will lie, they will steal...?"

What else will they do? And we elected the twits to do it to us!

Their salary comes outta our pockets.

Why don't we just FIRE the ba&#*rds!

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I'm actually not surprised Fox has this on their site. This fact was brought up several weeks ago, I believe on O'Reilly, but I won't swear to it. It was plainly stated that Columbia was supplying most of the weapons. The chinese and russians were thought to be supplying quite a few as well. The host repeated this back to the guest, and got an affirmative answer. I just wish Fox had gone pressed the story then, instead of waiting until now.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

I agree, why wait until the majority of people have been exposed to the "facts" and then issue the true facts later in almost a hush hush way. I will be shocked if I see this on the evening news.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by kettlebellysmith
I just wish Fox had gone pressed the story then, instead of waiting until now.

I think Fox was tipped off by the interview, and it took a few days for them to acquire a hardcopy of the actual ATF report.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
So watching the news yesterday, I did not see anything about this new information. All that was on the news for me were 2 shootings, a car jacking at gun point, armed robbery, Football team loosing QB, and the big snow storm we are suppose to get tomorrow. For far too long the news has been trying to play guns up as this big bad beast that needs to be stopped. A gun is one of the most harmless things out there, it needs human input to even become dangerous and then comes in the true danger with almost anything, the human input. A knife is more dangerous than a gun, ever cut yourself on a gun while reaching into a sink filled with dished? It is those who chose to use the gun in an improper way that we should be looking at and determine what we can do to stop them. Laws only affect those that follow the laws.

top topics

join