It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great UFO Hoax of 2009

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The following is from

Worldview

Newsweek

You may remember the sightings of a UFO over Morristown, N.J., in January, which was blogged about and even captured on video that has been posted to YouTube as clips from TV broadcasts.

It was all a hoax, as the perpetrators reveal in this month’s issue of eSkeptic

Last November, write Joe Rudy, who describes himself as “an avid reader of Skeptic magazine” who teaches science and gives private music lessons, and Chris Russo, who works in sales and says he “intends to continue his quest to spread reason and truth, one pseudoscience at a time,” the two 20-somethings were sitting around discussing pseudoscience and the many people who believe one or another form of it. “We had always had a strong interest in why people were so easily fooled by such irrational superstitions as psychic ability, spiritual mediums, alien abductions, and the like,” they write. So they “set out on a mission to help people think rationally and question the credibility of so-called UFO ‘professionals.’”

They cooked up a spaceship hoax “to show everyone how unreliable eyewitness accounts are, along with investigators of UFOs.” They used 5 feet of fishing line to tie flares to each of five 3-foot helium balloons and launched them from a field on January 5, 2009. “Once all five balloons were ready for takeoff (with our fingers on the verge of frost bite),” they write, “we struck the 15-minute flares and released them into the sky in increments of fifteen seconds,” filming the UFOs as they floated away.

I have posted videos of the news reports and the videos of the guys setting up the hoax. You can view all videos at this link:
Videos

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Nothing like the arrogance of a true fool. The fact is, most people who bothered to check it out, thought the whole incident had a whiff of fake about it, from the word go... So I'm not so sure what the guys are getting so pumped up about...

Rather more, sad little person desperate for publicity, wastes people's time and effort in pointless exercise...

Congrats to the morons who simply confirmed they are exactly that.. morons..

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Just wait. I am counting down to 10 before someone comes on here and says these guys are some CIA workers trying hide the truth about these UFO's from us. Well take your pick they will say CIA, Illuminati, the Masons, the Rothchilds... somebody. I am not psychic you know.

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
The point of a hoax is to convince people that something is not what it actually is. You do what these guys did and what do you have? Oh yes a genuine UFO, they were flying, they were unidentified , until they admitted how it was done.

Hoax's are meant to fool not just the gullible, but those who think they know... in this case, the people who believe that every UFO is an alien, thought they were alien. The people who think everything is CGI, thought it was CGI and the people who think you need to have something more tangible thought.. we need something more tangible..

So, who was hoaxed?? Errr no-one... which kinda defeats the whole object of a hoax...

posted on Apr, 1 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I like how the first clip contains a phone call from one of the witnesses who says "...it's like these parachutes, or uh, these balloons with these tied lights are flying over right now". So basically, a completely "unreliable" or "untrained" eye witness totally nailed the hoax. This prooves that you can't explain away most of the real hard evidence of UFO's with a silly prank like this.

top topics

join