It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

a world divided.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
It seems to me that the internet brings us together like never before, but the world will always be divided by the language barrier. It's great to share views with people here on ats/ bts but a huge majority of the world's population is excluded cos they can't speak english. Why not have a universal language so we can all communicate? Why do countries all over the world have to speak in different tongues? It seems so pointless although I suppose it keeps language teachers and interpreters in a job.
"if you smile at me I will understand cos that is something everybody, everywhere does in the same language"

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
One day everyone will talk a universal language, thanks to the internet and other future technologies that bring the world together.

Things are always changing, in my opinion this fact is inevitable, even if they talk other languages too.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by uk today
Why not have a universal language so we can all communicate? Why do countries all over the world have to speak in different tongues? It seems so pointless although I suppose it keeps language teachers and interpreters in a job.
"if you smile at me I will understand cos that is something everybody, everywhere does in the same language"

I think most people are proud of their language and culture.
To say it's pointless that people that people speak different languages is strange.

It's just how civilization evolved... every country (almost every country) having their own language....depending on who conquered you anyway

I actually think it's great and makes the world a diverse and interesting place.

Globalization is a bad thing....and to want one world language is also a very bad and dangerous thing IMO.

[edit on 31/3/09 by blupblup]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Got to disagree with you here Blup. The language barrier in my opinion is totally divisive ---------would'nt you like to hear news and opinions from brothers and sisters say in France, China, germany et al? I certainly would. A worldwide feedback would enhance our knowledge and understanding massively. You're still a great guy though! xx

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by uk today
reply to post by blupblup

Got to disagree with you here Blup. The language barrier in my opinion is totally divisive ---------would'nt you like to hear news and opinions from brothers and sisters say in France, China, germany et al? I certainly would. A worldwide feedback would enhance our knowledge and understanding massively. You're still a great guy though! xx

Cheers hun xx.

I have to say... if i wanna hear the news from those places, which i do...i usually use the translate feature on google.
You can get world news from almost anywhere on the web.

China are pretty much blocked from communicating from the world unfortunately... France, germany...pretty close to us huh?

I'm not saying i wouldn't like to be able to hear all their thoughts without translating it....i get what you're saying... honestly i do... but i love different languages, they're great

To have everyone speaking the same language would be boring....same as if everyone looked the same.

I think there are more divisive things than language...

I like your idea though, just don't want to do away with other languages

top topics

join