It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nickelodeon and Global Warming.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Ok, So I am watching Nick TV with my kids and there is some kinda promo spot for saving the environment. It goes on to talk about how greenhouse gases are causing the icecaps to melt and sea levels to rise ect ect.

Ok I get that, not that I agree with the whole AGW stuff. This is the part that perplexed me, while they are talking about how power plants create the gases that are causing GW, they are showing video of Nuclear power plants cooling towers. They look they they are putting out a lot of smoke but its just water vapor. Yes I am aware that water vapor is a GHG. Isn't nuclear power one of the most "global warming friendly" means of producing large amounts of electricity? It just struck me as odd that they would be using Cooling towers to show the bad Global Warming side of power plants.

I found it strange that Nickelodeon would be teaching easily impressionable kids such a wrong analogy with the imagery they showed.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
While I can agree with you that kids shouldn't be lied to about GW, I also believe that GW is a serious issue and that because nobody is taking it as such, there needs to be a certain "By any means necessary" attitude towards it. I'm not saying an out and out lie is the way forward, but as long as the basic message is correct, I don't think the iconography is going to make much of a difference.

But that's just me. I think a little white lie is fine if the cause is just.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I am not enthusiastic about nuclear plants due to potential hazards and problems with waste they produce. Still, my guess is that whoever did this promo had no idea that it is nuclear plant/cooling tower/water vapor. All he/she/it saw in some database was a massive smoking structure that looked very "subject-juicy". So thus it got in. Nickelodeon is entertainment channel, a good one probably. But education? From Nickelodeon?

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I'm not saying an out and out lie is the way forward, but as long as the basic message is correct, I don't think the iconography is going to make much of a difference.

Wouldn't it have been eaiser to show a big coal plant billowing black smoke into the sky. The choice was weird to me.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

I'm not saying an out and out lie is the way forward, but as long as the basic message is correct, I don't think the iconography is going to make much of a difference.

Wouldn't it have been eaiser to show a big coal plant billowing black smoke into the sky. The choice was weird to me.

True, but as already said, Nickelodeon is an entertainment channel. They are not going to be aiming for accuracy with stuff like that in a visual sense. It is a strange choice though, there is no escaping that.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I think there is no such thing as Global Warming. I think there is and has been warming and cooling trends that have absolutely ZERO to do with us. I also believe we are destroying the planet by treating it like a garbage can. When will people stop lying about GW to get their agend accross? When people learn the truth, they are going to be mad and feel used and may not care at all about the environment. I think Al Gore is going to be the single most harmfull thing this envoronment has ever faced. Please folks, educate your kids with Science, not fantasy.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
I think there is no such thing as Global Warming. I think there is and has been warming and cooling trends that have absolutely ZERO to do with us. I also believe we are destroying the planet by treating it like a garbage can. When will people stop lying about GW to get their agend accross? When people learn the truth, they are going to be mad and feel used and may not care at all about the environment. I think Al Gore is going to be the single most harmfull thing this envoronment has ever faced. Please folks, educate your kids with Science, not fantasy.

So you admit that we need to stop using the world as a dump and start cutting down on landfills, recycle more and cut carbon emissions?

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
It is much simpler than we make it.

Nickelodeon is subjecting our children to propaganda. The agenda is clear. The motivation is reduced resistance to future policy.

The object is to create, then promote, the concept that the average citizen is the key to reducing pollution in the environment. Thus removing liability from such noble capitalist activities like, strip mining, industrial waste dumping, chemical 'black water' management, and all the other things that REALLY make themselves felt by damaging the environment.

If they can convince the citizens to sacrifice themselves to make a greener future, the industrialists can continue their practices with little reform. It's like the notion of carbon-taxation somehow benefiting the planet. Or that planting a tree should not receive as much carbon credit pushing 'bio-fuels.' As if moving money around makes mother nature 'feel' better.

Commercial exploitation in industry has been the problem since the 19th Century. The government and the Barons of Industry (often one and the same) have known this from the outset. The story of "the Manhattan Project and fluorides" clearly demonstrates the inherent abuses. But so many others, like the idea of vandalizing the sacred Four Corners Mountain regions for nuclear waste dumping, or the determination of 'tolerable' levels of PCBs in our environment show that "pollution" - which is now nearly synonymous with "global warming" to our children has been the subject of 'disinformation control" for well over a century - at least here in the United States.

Remind your kinds, to think for themselves, they must be warned that the pretty young 'super stars' which the media creates are NOT world-class thinkers, and what they say and do, and seem to believe, isn't the right thing just because they are 'cool'.

It's one thing to want to be a good steward of the environment, it's entirely another to let someone 'tell' you how to do that without so much as a moment of introspection and study. They rely on the fact that our children are programmed to accept what they are told without meaningful reflection... it's part of the consumer media-driven mindset that comes with mass media. It's also part of the fact that our cookie-cutter teachers no longer think for themselves, and are punished if they express any dissent from the agenda at large.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
There are other benefits to the green road, namely saving money. Cutting your electricity usage will save you money, as will gas. Getting proper insulation will keep your house warmer, saving money. Products will get cheaper if we recycle boxes and paper.

I'm coming across really preachy, and I don't mean it, but I can't think of other ways to put it.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by NoHopeForSome

yes I do 100%. But telling everyone there is an immaginary evil out to get them is not the way to accomplish this task. One only needs to ask where all the plastic bottles go to start to understand what we are doing here.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
reply to post by NoHopeForSome

yes I do 100%. But telling everyone there is an immaginary evil out to get them is not the way to accomplish this task. One only needs to ask where all the plastic bottles go to start to understand what we are doing here.

I was having a similar argument today at work with a friend. We were on about the pope saying condoms cause AIDS to spread faster. He went off on one about the pope and all I said was "that is his opinion". I used the example that he could say that the sky is red in his opinion, and I could not prove that he did not see the sky as red (he stopped talking to me after that and called me an idiot)

Anyway, back to the point. Your opinion is that GW is not real and the natural heating and cooling of the planet is the one to blame, while I believe that GW is to blame. There is no right or wrong answer about things. It's not fair the GW gets rammed down everybody's throats without an alternative explanation being placed at level peg, but at least we can agree on the basics like cutting carbon emissions and such.

Like a great man said, "What people really want to see is 2 guys hug and make up!"

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
It is much simpler than we make it.

Nickelodeon is subjecting our children to propaganda. The agenda is clear. The motivation is reduced resistance to future policy.

I think you are close to the point. Nick is doing it's part to train our kids that GW is mainly a manmade problem that causes natural disasters that only mankind could have caused. I have gotten a handful of similar comments from kids at my children's school. AGW is being taught as a proven fact, when there is still much debate about the causes of GW. Not all GW is due to AGW and that point is not being addressed in the rush to Green Tax the peoples of the world.

I have taught my kids how to use the scienctific method and reasoning to solve problems or tackle an issue. He has gotten into a little bit of trouble when he asked his teacher for the teacher's proof of manmade global warming and what models were used or if CO2 levels had been higher in the past. The teacher was talking about how polar bears were dying off due to manmade global warming. When my boy asked him to cite the scientific paper and tell how many Polar bears had died, the teacher got kinda miffed with my boy and changed the subject, never going back to the AGW case.

Thankfully, they haven't shown An Inconvient Truth at their School.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Still, my guess is that whoever did this promo had no idea that it is nuclear plant/cooling tower/water vapor. All he/she/it saw in some database was a massive smoking structure that looked very "subject-juicy". So thus it got in. Nickelodeon is entertainment channel, a good one probably. But education? From Nickelodeon?

Well since the promo spot was from Nick and was not targeted as entertainment, I would think Nick was trying to "educate" their viewers. Sure it could have been a stupid edit, my main focus was that Nick was definetly linking mankind as the primary cause of GW and disasters around the world. They chose a silly image to further that idea.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Anthropogenic Global Warming is nothing more than a pitiful hoax still gripping the minds of an uneducated public, it is a nice fairytale and thus I find it UNNACEPTABLE that is is told as fact to our children, Al Gore the smug little ***** has a new book coming out on GW soon and that pains me, it also sickens me the man won a nobel prize for promoting pseudoscience and fear, jut another thing to keep us occupied and make us feel guilty.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Outlawstar
Anthropogenic Global Warming is nothing more than a pitiful hoax still gripping the minds of an uneducated public, it is a nice fairytale and thus I find it UNNACEPTABLE that is is told as fact to our children, Al Gore the smug little ***** has a new book coming out on GW soon and that pains me, it also sickens me the man won a nobel prize for promoting pseudoscience and fear, jut another thing to keep us occupied and make us feel guilty.

Now this may cause some to flame me endlessly, but I think AG got the Nobel prize because he was willing to put his face and name in the spotlight over the new revenue model that will make some people rich beyond belief.

I used to believe that the Nobel Prize was legit. And frankly, I think it may have been at one point. But now, at this point, I think it's just a scam.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Originally posted by Outlawstar

Now this may cause some to flame me endlessly, but I think AG got the Nobel prize because he was willing to put his face and name in the spotlight over the new revenue model that will make some people rich beyond belief.

I used to believe that the Nobel Prize was legit. And frankly, I think it may have been at one point. But now, at this point, I think it's just a scam.

[edit on 31-3-2009 by Maxmars]

Agree with the point on Al Gore and his NP.

As for the Pseudoscience, isn't what we promote and cling to so dear here on ATS Pseudoscience?

Not nit picking, but I'm trying to be "Thick Skinned".

top topics

join