It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wrong or right? (Told not to do something in school)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightGloom
they might get mad at the teacher for the whole separation of church and state.

Which, by the way, is nowhere in the constitution.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cutwolf
Im using the Dogma image, correct. However, this is a school project.

Also, I must reiterate the fact that the TEACHERS are not judging the project. The students in the other class determine the winner. If you knew anything about high school and high school student mentality, you know they would definitely vote for the more controversial, "out there" idea rather than the straight forward "professional" idea.

Well, you are right about that. I know little about high-school mentality. My point is this, can you honestly say that none of your fellow students will be offended by this? I promise that your teacher believes that someone might and can't risk it in the school enviorment. No, your school IS NOT a free society. It's your job and like I said before you are on society's time, not your own.

Trust me, there is plenty of time to offend people once you finish school and can be held responsible for it. Right now it's your teacher who will be held responsible.

[Edited on 21-4-2004 by Ambient Sound]

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

they might get mad at the teacher for the whole separation of church and state.

Which, by the way, is nowhere in the constitution.

Still, most schools take it into effect with things that could be classified as offensive like that. Now, if the Bible club were to hang up "The Passion" posters everywhere, they wouldn't force them to take them down.

Grrr...

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
their icon was mohamend and he was more human than jesus because he got married to a very rich widow (jesus never married )and he never advised against terror or retaliation the islam hate cristianity because cristianity was not so nice like we in usa tried to portrait it, cristianity has a dark side in history that nobody wants to talk about and they persecuted and killed whoever did not believe in them back in ( know your history) the dark ages and they went to the arabs country and killer many of the people in the arab world during the crusades. So it call retaliation even if it took 1 thousand years.

you realise arabs did the same thing which created the ottoman empire, dont you?

they murdered, raped, pillaged and conquered northern africa, the middle east and even into europe and controlled part of spain, this around the time of the crusades and inqusitions.

in the majority of cases arab lands were attacked during crusades because the ottoman empire was hostile and wanted to conquer europe(and obviously not christian), it was constant(wars, economic manipulation, etc) for like 1000 years till the ottoman empire finally collapsed during WW1.

you cant claim islam has been all nice and christians were evil destroyers.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Still, most schools take it into effect with things that could be classified as offensive like that. Now, if the Bible club were to hang up "The Passion" posters everywhere, they wouldn't force them to take them down.

Grrr...

I'm going to take by your "Grrr" that you disagree with this. I would have to ask you why? Why would kids be limited in what clubs they can create and participate in after school based on their religion. The first ammendment states there's freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion. And to say that only religious clubs aren't allowed to hang posters (the do have to follow their school's guidelines on this) while others have every right to?

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Yes, but they were EVERYWHERE. Other clubs have a limit of how many posters they are allowed to hang up, I think it's like 15 or something, but I counted 29 "Passion" posters in the cafeteria alone and we don't have a very large cafeteria. Plus, I'm not too happy with some of them since they told my friends and I that we're going to hell because a few of my friends are not Christian and I'm going to hell because I associate with them.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 06:57 PM
link   
well i'd say that it's right to tell a child no if he/she is treating anything with disrespect or infringing on some1's right. school should be a place where kids don't have to be afraid to come to and learn (although that's still pretty hard since test, quizzes, and report cards still scare the sh*t out of some kids). in an ideal school, every1 and everything is treated with respect but unfortunately, that's impossible with the human race.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Yes, but they were EVERYWHERE. Other clubs have a limit of how many posters they are allowed to hang up, I think it's like 15 or something, but I counted 29 "Passion" posters in the cafeteria alone and we don't have a very large cafeteria. Plus, I'm not too happy with some of them since they told my friends and I that we're going to hell because a few of my friends are not Christian and I'm going to hell because I associate with them.

If the limit was, in fact, 15, and they had 29, you should have brought it up with the principal. I advocate equal rights, not extended rights.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Sorry, I should have explained the reason for the "grr..." in the first place. Don't get me wrong, I saw the movie and it was moving and amazing. 'Twas very well done. Man, if we had as many posters as they did for "The Passion" we could have gotten more people to come to the musical!

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Was she demanding you to change to another idea? or was she telling you what she thinks you should do but it's your choice? Get Me?

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I feel if it is of such importance to you, you should do it.
And be prepared for the whatever comes of it.

posted on Apr, 30 2004 @ 01:34 AM
link   
This thread quickly went from discussing your project, to a debate about religious ideology....see where the teacher/school could be concerned about your choice for this project?

I agree that this is certantly humurous (im christian)
but far from original. considering the term has come up in the mike jackson sex case...far from creative, as was your use of the lable, again plagerized.
Put forth some effort and come up with something really new, even if it doenst win,you will have done more than choose the "trendy" and fast way to go about this project. (your idea is pretty cheap and flimsy, but funny)

The school is supposed to have a level playing field, which is why generally religion is kept to a minimum in the PUBLIC school system....They dont want to get sued. (being sued takes money, even just to defend themselves from a bogus charge, $$ which could have bought something that many students could have bennifitted from)
Ask yourself, on this issue, are my "rights" more important or valuable than those of other students or the school?
Also,
Is this "battle" even worth the time and effort its gonna cost YOU to wage? To what end?
I understand your feelings, but also look back at when i was a young rebel, and think...yeah i was being immature. (not that you ARE, and id understand if you tried to push this, but school is not the right place for this.) Playing the hero or the martyr is both a blessing and a curse.

I agree with a previous poster that said, approach the teacher with your concerns (argument for) your approach, but then astound the teacher by agreeing to choose another topic...show that you can be intelligent, dilligent and reasonable...even if you dont "win" from the student vote, i think the teacher will see that your grade reflects both your extra effort to come up with something else, AND that you were accomodating to a "larger" idea than "give me my rights". (I.E. meeting the requirments set out for you)

Its great to see young people thinking about issues greater than just the assignment at hand, but why complicate it for yourself? Just do the assignment and move on, there will be another time in a better place (college?) for your ideas to be championed. (and plenty more assignments im sure)

from a former rebel that pushed the envelope soo hard i was expelled from catholic school (DONT TELL THE PRIEST HE IS A HYPOCRIT AND PROVIDE HIM WITH EXAMPLES...LOL) Was it true, yes, but worth calling him out on, not = to the trouble i put up with..(my family totally backed me, but still not worth it for school)

<< 1  2  3   >>

join