It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth Hour. Does anyone realize how stupid it is??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Al Gore:

Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" may have inspired many to participate in yesterday's "Earth Hour" by switching off their lights from 8:30 p.m. to 9 p.m., but maybe the former vice president didn't get the memo.

Drew Johnson, the president of the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, decided to drive by Gore's mansion in Nashville at 8:48 p.m. and records that floodlights were on illuminating the driveway leading up to the main quarter.

"I pulled up to Al's house, located in the posh Belle Meade section of Nashville, at 8:48 p.m. – right in the middle of Earth Hour," he wrote on his blog. "I found that the main spotlights that usually illuminate his 9,000 square foot mansion were dark, but several of the lights inside the house were on."

He added: "The kicker, though, were the dozen or so floodlights grandly highlighting several trees and illuminating the driveway entrance of Gore’s mansion. I [kid] you not, my friends, the savior of the environment couldn’t be bothered to turn off the gaudy lights that show off his goofy trees."

see it here:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Judging by some of the replies in the thread.

Lets have some more please.

Dont eat for a day, day.
Save an hour of sleep day.
Do not flush the toilet day.
Silent earth day.
No google day.
No government day.
Take a president to work day.

The point I am making is that all of these things are ludicrious just like this Earth Hour idea. The whole point is to raise awareness. People are aware of these things but they ignore it because they can and will continue to until something happens like a powercut etc.
This sort of thing is also giving government tip toes and it is not long until they take footsteps as history will show with anything else.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I remember years ago when the Earth used to get a whole day, now it is down to an hour? I guess with the economy everyone is cutting back?

Anyway the liberals got their kumbya moment, and they got a chance to feel good. Because that is what they are all about....feeling good about themselves.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I agree with the Op that this Earth Hour scam is exactly that, a scam.
It does more harm than good when all the lights and power grids get flipped back on.

Maybe I should start a power transformer business?

This Global warming thing is turning more into a religion each day.
We have some people that only attend church once or twice a year, now we have people that will decide to shut their lights off for one hour each year.

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Just another idea by the tree huggers,I don't believe in Global warming,and I'll be damned if I'll shut off lights,this is a gesture alright,another worthless one,I could think of a million lessons in futility,and switching lights off aint one of them

posted on Mar, 30 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Earth Hour should of been renamed "Let's Feel Good About Ourselves For a Hour" day.

Raising awareness and education? For what? That we are raping our planet of all of it's resources and are doing nothing about it?

This is what bugs me most about the "western culture" we live in. We're too busy in our lives to actually do something to help the planet that would not inconvenience our all-so-important lives, so instead let's pat ourselves on the back by shutting off our lights for a hour and then forget about it until next year's "Earth Hour".

Is the good intention there? Sure! But I wish our society would learn that as our living situation (in both the big picture and the smaller picture) gets alarmingly worse, our insignificant good intention feel-good projects are useless and REAL action is going to be required to solve these problems, which would include REAL inconveniences to your everyday life.

But screw that, TMZ is on tonight and I heard they have some great shots of Andy Dick being drunk at a party.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join