It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Atlantic Warming due to Reduction in Dust Study says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

MADISON - The recent warming trend in the Atlantic Ocean is largely due to reductions in airborne dust and volcanic emissions during the past 30 years, according to a new study.

More than two-thirds of this upward trend in recent decades can be attributed to changes in African dust storm and tropical volcano activity during that time, report Evan and his colleagues at UW-Madison and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in a new paper. Their findings will appear in an upcoming issue of the journal Science and publish online today (March 26)...

www.news.wisc.edu...

what happened to the vaunted consensus? two thirds attributed to dust takes a lot of wind out of AGW's sails, doesn't it? i can see it now, CO2 weighs African dunes down, who knows...

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Long Lance

what happened to the vaunted consensus? two thirds attributed to dust takes a lot of wind out of AGW's sails, doesn't it?

Well a consensus is just that - a consensus. Most people disagree on specifics. That's why they reach a consensus
But in any case, this study relates to North Atlantic Sea Surface Temperatures (SSTs). It does not in any way disprove or even raise doubts on global atmospheric warming.

But nonetheless it's very interesting and may well have implications to our undertsanding on recent perceived climate changes and what further changes may occur
I also wonder how whether this has any implications for our understanding of the AMO (Atlantic Multi-decadal Oscillation) which I personally thought was largely responsible for recent higher N Atlantic SSTs

join