It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STS 119: Discovery-Soyuz; Last Day, Please Watch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I am watching since many hours, and STS 119 ending soon. But there is no single livestream from mission above but only Nasa or Russia Control Room. Why?
Right now there is a connection problem between Russia Control Room and Soyuz.
Unfortunatly I have no more time to watch; if you have time please watch now. It is going to be very interesting if they will make a live stream from Discovery. I have a feeling this time

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
There will be a live stream when the shuttle lands. But, during the initial stages of its re-entry and descent, only live video from the MCC will be shown and only when the shuttle becomes visible to the long range camera's in KSC, we will see the shuttle.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet
There will be a live stream when the shuttle lands. But, during the initial stages of its re-entry and descent, only live video from the MCC will be shown and only when the shuttle becomes visible to the long range camera's in KSC, we will see the shuttle.

Thanks for the info. But do you know the reason? I mean who would want to watch the old guys on the Control Rooms...Why there is no continious live stream from above?
Right now the screen frozen and I have to leave in 5 min

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Do you mean this live feed?

:Live Feed

i'm watching that one

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by deccal
Thanks for the info. But do you know the reason? I mean who would want to watch the old guys on the Control Rooms...Why there is no continious live stream from above?
Right now the screen frozen and I have to leave in 5 min

Very simple, it is because, during re-entry, the temperature around the shuttle gets so hot that the gas becomes ionised preventing any signals to be transmitted to the ground. Their only mode of communication is through the TDRS(Tracking data relay satellite) dedicated solely for them. And even then contact is lost for five odd minutes. And more over the shuttles payload bay doors are closed, and most of the video opportunities are nullified, the only video would be from the front-deck.And as mentioned earlier, transmission is difficult.

With regard to viewing from the ground, the shuttle will be too high to take video during entry and only when it nears KSC will it be low enough to be able view through a video camera, otherwise you will see it like a contrail emitting plane barely visible.

Edit:Take a look at this weblink, it shows the ground track. And it will approach through mexico, and hence will not be visible much of the time from telescopic camera's in the US.

Ground Track

[edit on March 28th, 2009 by peacejet]

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by CherryDuck

Yep, there is feed from the shuttle payload bay, the rendevous burn will be started in ten minutes, and in a few hours the payload bay door will be closed.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   

I am watching from nasa tv www.nasa.gov...

For some reason I couldnt open the video on your link.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by deccal

Is your internet connection slow. I sometimes get a blank screen when my connection is slow.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I can;t work this out and its pissing me off lol. Can anyone tell what time in australia that it's scheduled for re-entry??

Thanks Cherry

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   

The shuttle lands in seven hours exactly.

new topics

top topics

join