It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live Free or Drown: Floating Utopias on the Cheap

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Live Free or Drown: Floating Utopias on the Cheap

www.wired.com

Friedman launches into what he calls "my standard rant"—a spiel about government's shortcomings and why they're so hard to repair. In his eyes, government is a sclerotic monopoly that can count on high customer lock-in thanks to inertia and the lack of alternatives. "Government is an inefficient industry because it has an insane barrier to entry," he says. "To compete with governments on existing land, you have to win a war, an election, or a revolution."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

...He points to the democracy that emerged from the American Revolution as the last successful rollout and attributes the subsequent dry spell to the lack of uncolonized space on the map. "We've run out of frontier," he says.

This is an AMAZING Article... no matter how technically crazy this particular idea might sound... the concepts being discussed here regarding current governments, their shortcomings, and rolling your own using a capitalistic viewpoint is intriguing.

Specifically the points about how we have ran out of frontier.

If you get a chance to watch the video, skip past the first conf organizer, as his dialogue is a bit stilted, but Patri Friedman.... Milton Friedmans Grandson gives a very engaging talk about taking libertarianism and capitalism to their most logical outcome...

Enjoy...

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 26-3-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I really don't care for the political side of this project but WOW, would I like to live on it! My wife would never in a million years go for it though. But still, it's nice to dream.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Static Sky

I know... I first stumbled on this in Wired (hard copy), and what hooked me was the mock up of the design on the second page....

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I agree. I found that pretty cool, too. I just sort of stared at it for a few minutes trying to picture what living on it would be like. And I remember hearing about the "Freedom Ship" a few years ago but completely forgot about it untill I saw the part about the failed similar projects of the past.

That WWII gun platform now called "Sealand" really got me roaring, though. Not exactly my idea of a Utopia. LOL.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I´ve been following ideas like this for awhile now and although some have failed I do believe this is where our long-term future is. Mini-Governments and mini-countries for each and every taste and preference.

There are enough of us who just arent interested in a conventional lifestyle prescribed by some bloated institution calling itself "the" government.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Static Sky

Not impossible on a small scale. I have a cousin who lives, pretty much off-grid on a sailboat. He had enough of the grind Bought a 60ft sailboat that was a piece of trash. I think he payed $6K for it - definatelly less than $10K. Lived on the boat while he fixed it up (working as a laborer to keep that going). For the past 7 years he's been on the boat. he stays on the Pacific. Summers in the San Juan Islands, Winter in Mexico. He has places where he pulls in and can get a few days work when he needs it, all cash.

He's got a nice life. The boat is beautiful, inside and out. He he has a garden in the forward stateroom, eats (obviously) a ton of fish. He distills water through some rig he has built that essentially desalinates water. Its still a bit salty, but OK. He looks like he's 25 and he's close on 40. Solar panels and a water turbine for power. He is pretty close on invisible. he also lives in some of the most beautiful places in Northern America.

Its possible. I've been with him often and once for a three week stretch. Not a bad way to live

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
There was a thread that talked about that a few weeks ago.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It is fascinating, due to my line of work I find that idea very interesting. From a technical point-of-view it is entirely possible. I posted a few thoughts and info on the above-mentionned thread.

From a political or social point-of-view I think there would be much opposition from different government as with any Utopian project that would change the way we live and interact with nature and each other.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I agree completely and found your take on it refreshing, Skyfloating. I do think we will have these floating 'micro-nations' one way or another in the future. And I think it's great!

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

That sounds like a great life. Fishing for dinner, taking the rare odd-job for what tiny amount of money one would need to support such a lifestyle, floating around from port to port, wherever the urge may take you.....a true dream.

Impossible for me though because I'm absolutely sure my wife wouldn't have any part of it. She absolutely hates the idea of a cruise or sailing, nevermind living on a floating platform of whatever design.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

i have to think that micro-societies but listen to this without gov is the only way for life to continue in the near future if things continue the way they are! i'm almost sure that any survivors will be back in the stoneage. some in caves some in castles. i sure do not desire that scenario!my desire is to live till life leaves me while i am swimming down the st clair river in port huron! but back to micro societies should always now more than ever be started with out gov.my whole thought is just for today i will xxxxxx cause it is just today!

top topics

join