It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scissors Left In Woman after Surgery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
And they wonder why we are paranoid of people in the medical field.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SYDNEY, Australia - A Sydney woman demanded an explanation Tuesday from a hospital where a pair of scissors were left in her abdomen after surgery and said she planned to sue.

Pat Skinner, 69, had part of her colon removed at Sydney's St. George Hospital in May 2001. But she said that she continued to suffer intense pain in her abdomen for months after the operation.

Eventually, she demanded doctors x-ray her abdomen. They did and discovered the 6.7-inch pair of scissors, which were removed in October 2002.

Link to Full Report:
www.msnbc.msn.com...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know this suff happens all the time, But what the hell can anyone say that can explain these things?

How the hell can this happen?

I can deal with pilotics and not being able to trust our leaders,
I can even deal with crap from my ex wife.

But when I am sick and have to think about surgery, its crap like this that makes me lose trust in the people who will be working on me, or any loved one.

If we can't trust our doctors and nurses we may as well just stay home and die.

There is no exuse AT ALL for this.

And you seem to hear reports like this everyday.

What can we do to find the best people in the medical field?

People we can trust enough to cut our flesh while we are sleeping??

This is really scarey.

You never know you may be the next man or woman they work on!

Gazz

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Well first we need to realize that Doctors aren't Gods. They are humans and like all humans, they will make mistakes. I personally haven't been seen by a doctor in about 15 years because I know stuff like this happens more often than anyone thinks.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Even if doctors aren't gods and can still make mistakes, something like this?? How in the name of Christ do you forget a pair of scissors inside a person's body? That's quite a large mistake...

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I am in surgery almost every day (I am in medical sales). Here in the USA, all of the instruments that the surgeon uses (including needles, sutures, sponges and such...) are counter prior to the procedure and are recounted as the physician is closing the wound. Out of several surgeries that I've been in on, not once has anything been left inside of a patient.

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
this is pretty old news....
this stuff happens all the time. hell a doctor even etched his initials on her stomach

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Ignorant doctors, thats all. I saw on ripleys believe it or not, a woman that had pain in her stomache for 10 years, she finally went back to to the doctor and found that scissors were left in her from surgery from 10 years earlier. They need to double check everything. They cant overlook even small things.

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   
It's sad, those scissors could cut up her insides. I saw something on a woman who had a cesarean section done or I think they put a piece of cloth inside her to stop her from losing a lot of blood and the doctors forgot to take it out. She was in pain for days. She asked the doctors to take an x-ray of her, they refused. Anyway, they finally did and they realized what they left in her. The cloth was rotting inside her and very smelly. It made her and her husband sick to their stomach. So they sued, they were talking about it on t.v, it was disgusting.

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Thay must still have faith in the hospital, because her husband is currently there.

They gave the cop out as "We didnt count the larger items because we thought they could not be left behind becuse of their size.

posted on Apr, 24 2004 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Another thread on this story was done in BTS, it has some good pics of the x-rays.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

join