It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Steel door grill for home security.

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
As many people here have discussed home security, i thought i'd throw this in.

An elderly friend of mine recently had one of these fitted for under £200, it wasn't this company that she got it from, but the door was similar to this one....

Security door

It is absoloutely solid. The company fitted it properly, all welded bolts that can't be undone.

For anyone thinking about door security, i think this is great. Having little ones in the house here, i think about door security, but you can pay a fortune for new doors and the locks that will stop someone coming through them.

These door grills are excellent, and theres no chance of your average intruder getting in.

So if it becomes common knowledge that you have food and water in your house, one day a door like this might be quite handy.

CX.

[edit on 25/3/09 by CX]

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Security screens are helpful when wanting to have your door open but still locked against walk ins, however, they are typically less secure than the door they are installed upon.
Just as having a deadbolt or dowel in the window jamb are good ideas you never rely on these completely for your safety. Remember that there are many more openings into a building than most realize. If you want security get an alarm with proper monitoring, if you want real good security, then get a dog. Stats have shown that simply having a dog or often even a sign saying you do is more of a deterrent than security systems and cameras.

Good of you to share for the safety of others though.

Oh ya! Forgot to mention that most security screens have double sided deadbolts in them to prevent reach arounds....LOL, ya I know...

Anywho, when this is the case it often violates fire regulations as someone could not just run out if the house was burning down, so you'll want to be sure to check if your concerned about legalities.

[edit on 3/25/2009 by LockwithnoKey]

CX

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by LockwithnoKey
Security screens are helpful when wanting to have your door open but still locked against walk ins, however, they are typically less secure than the door they are installed upon.

Thats why i liked these door grills, it wasn't attatched to the door, it was bolted deep into the house wall. My friend can leave the door open and this grill will stop anything geting in.

Lovely in the summer.

CX.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

Originally posted by LockwithnoKey

Thats why i liked these door grills, it wasn't attatched to the door, it was bolted deep into the house wall. My friend can leave the door open and this grill will stop anything geting in.

Lovely in the summer.

CX.

Well, actually it is bolted through the doors existing frames. Which is exactly the problem, more leverage on a standard door. Not to say that people can't have a new frame constructed, but it ain't gonna be cheap...

CX

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Nope, this one is definately bolted into the wall.

Her front door is set about 2ft back from the front of the house, the houses around there have had an extra layering of bricks and insulation put on top of the existing building.

So the grill is on the wall, then you open it, and walk through to the front door.

That said though, this is just the situation in her case. You sound like you know what you are on about, and i only have experience of a few...and as you say, they were in the frames.

CX.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I am used to seeing those type of barred doors ALL over the sectons of Washington, D.C. that I am familiar with. As a matter of fact, one of the churches I always pass on N. Capitol St. has DOUBLE Barred Doors, with an entrance "Cage" that you stand in after initially passing through the first barred door. A freaking CHURCH! That is how bad the District has always been.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Well If I really wanted to get into some place protected with this I'd just knock down a wall. Of course it offers great defense against regular criminal activity.
It won't stop serious folk though...

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDarkFlame
Well If I really wanted to get into some place protected with this I'd just knock down a wall. Of course it offers great defense against regular criminal activity.
It won't stop serious folk though...

And when the walls are coming down you know the game is on for real!

Just like the days of yore!

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
CX.

Well, actually it is bolted through the doors existing frames. Which is exactly the problem, more leverage on a standard door. Not to say that people can't have a new frame constructed, but it ain't gonna be cheap...

I think the grill that CX is talking about are a bit different than the screens you are thinking about, the grill is basicly a gate infront of the door but not actualy attached to the door frame, they are quite common in britain especialy in older towns.

top topics

join