It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon exploring robot killers that can fire on their own

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Pentagon exploring robot killers that can fire on their own

www.mcclatchydc.com

WASHINGTON — The unmanned bombers that frequently cause unintended civilian casualties in Pakistan are a step toward an even more lethal generation of robotic hunters-killers that operate with limited, if any, human control.

The Defense Department is financing studies of autonomous, or self-governing, armed robots that could find and destroy targets on their own. On-board computer programs, not flesh-and-blood people, would decide whether to fire their weapons.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
The terminator becoming reality? makes you wonder just what fail safes there will be to make sure software or hardware bugs don't cause an uncontrolled killing spree? and if these fail safes do fail then how will they stop these things from going on the rampage until they run out of ammunition? and why do we really need fully automated killing machines?

www.mcclatchydc.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I think we are a long way from that,im not a soldier,but i think the calculations and observations they have to make every split second are far far far too complicated for the AI we have right now.Im sure they could ahve some role in the battlefield,but i dont think it safe or sane to have them in a combat situation.

new topics

join