It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

News Update-Facebook And Co 'Face Big Brother Monitoring'-Your Fears are real.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Everyone here were probably right about hating FaceBook, I never liked it and it does attract some dodgey people, best way to find them is to implement the trap in the first place.

So what do people think of all this now since your records are tracked on facebook on who you speak too?

Some were suspicious of the use of it and some just did not like it, now there are virus threats from it, one is meant to start on April the 1st from Facebook.

Millions of Britons who use social networking websites such as Facebook could have details of everyone they correspond with monitored by the Government.
Under the proposals, the Home Office is considering making the sites keep data about their users' movements.

These details may then be saved on a "Big Brother" database.

The Home Office said the idea was to tackle criminals and terrorists who might use the websites to communicate.

But it stressed the Government was not seeking the power to examine the content of messages sent via the sites.

Many people in Britain use social networking sites, like Facebook, MySpace and Bebo to keep in touch with their friends.

Civil liberties campaigners have called the proposals a "snooper's charter". Liberal Democrat MP Tom Brake has serious concerns.

He told Sky News: "The key issue is what data are they going to be retaining? Are they going to be looking at which groups people belong to on Facebook or MySpace or Bebo?

"Are they going to look at what expressed interests people have? If the answer is yes then we should have real major privacy concerns."

He added: "We also need guarantees that organisations like local authorities will not be able to access this data for frivolous purposes.

Text

news.sky.com... 5248457?lpos=Technology_Second_UK_News_Article_Teaser_Region_6&lid=ARTICLE_15248457_Facebook%2C_MySpace_And_Bebo%3A_Users_Of_Social_Networking_Website s_May_Have_Contacts_Monitored

[edit on 25-3-2009 by The time lord]

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I guess no one is interested right now about this or my timing is bad when I made this thread.
i am sure many want to read this post and have an opinion.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Hello people of ATS, where thou art you where have you all gone?

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by The time lord

Probably many people have resigned themselves to having their behavior monitored online to some extent. ATS is a social networking site, so it's only a matter of policy, and to what extent monitoring takes place at any given site.

Facebook does seem more invasive than many other sites. I just think that when all of your financial and health data are being shared with the highest bidder without your consent anyway, how harmful can Facebook be? That's likely the mindset of many who upload snippets of their personal lives onto social networking sites in general.

There's still a measure of privacy control on some things, but the things that really matter are not in any one individual's sole control. And I think that many people realize that Facebook is not the threat. The threat is their personal information possibly being used against them. By and large, that won't happen to most people; so they take their chances.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Facebook has some real rebel type profiles on there that are similar to gang culture and I think authorities know this and are now restricting or keeping an eye on that site. I don't blame them for it but are they afraid of people power too? What if the govenment wants to over throw the population somehow into their way of thinking, the best way would be to stop all our contacts and isolate us from each other. I feel something is brewing under all this and the picture is coming through.

posted on Mar, 31 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Don't forget the apperant April 1st virus alert that is related to facebook.
One thing to do is disconnect the Internet that day, its no real trouble to do so just for that day, better safe than sorry.

new topics

top topics

join