It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man survived both atomic bombings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The following is from the Worldview blog

Ever had a really bad day? I am not talking about a normal bad day but one that should be recorded in the history books?

Let me tell you about a day that tops all bad days!

Imagine it is August 6, 1945 and you are on a buisness trip in the city of Hiroshima! Everything is going ok until a US plane dropped the first atomic bomb.You suffer serious burns but are released the next day and travel back to your hometown, Nagasaki. You are thankful you survived. Then suddenly on August 9,1945 the US drops another atomic bomb! If that is not amzing enough consider this, you survice the second bombing as well! I know, you are thinking come on that is impossible. Meet Tsutomu Yamaguchi:

The following is from the BBC:

Tsutomu Yamaguchi was in Hiroshima on a business trip on 6 August 1945 when a US plane dropped the first atomic bomb.

He suffered serious burns and spent a night there before returning to his home city of Nagasaki just before it was bombed on 9 August.

He said he hoped his experience held a lesson of peace for future generations.

'Horrifying history'

It was already recorded that Mr Yamaguchi had survived the Nagasaki bomb but on Tuesday officials recognised that he had been in Hiroshima as well.

Certification as a hibakusha or radiation survivor qualifies Japanese citizens for government compensation, including medical check-ups, and funeral costs.

His double dose of atomic bombs, however, does not mean Mr Yamaguchi's compensation will increase, a Nagasaki city official said.

"My double radiation exposure is now an official government record," Mr Yamaguchi told reporters.

"It can tell the younger generation the horrifying history of the atomic bombings even after I die."

About 140,000 people were killed in Hiroshima and 70,000 in Nagasaki.

Many survivors fell sick with radiation-related illnesses, including cancers, for years after the bombings.

Here is the link to the original story: Bomb
Also see this link: Bad Day

join