It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India - the best sites to visit?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Hello,

I am planning a trip to India later this year. I wish to drive from the southern tip into Nepal via the east coast and Goa.

I would very much appreciate your opinion on the best sites (modern or ancient) that India has to offer. I have a particular interest in ancient history and so sites like this or ruins would be perfect.

Hopefully once the trip is over with I can get some photos uploaded for all to see

Ahhh so excited!!!

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I mean WEST coast not east. I am crap at geography

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I live in India, and I am sure that you will absolutely enjoy your vacation.

Each place is unique, as the bio-diversity is different in each of the states of India.

Take a look at this website,

Incredible India

The above web link, will give you detailed options for all states in India.

I live in tamilnadu, which is in the southern part of the country, and my state has two hill stations, ootacamund("ooty" for short) and kodaikanal. And also there is Mahabalipuram with ancient temples. And in the southern most tip of the state is Kanaykumari, where, the Bay of Bengal, Indian Ocean and Arabian sea meet. And there are lots of ancient hindu remples, which you would like to consider visiting for the architecture.

Here is the link to the government website which will give you information.

TamilNadu Tourism

Hope you have a great vacation.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Hey,

Thanks for the links. The Ellora and Elephanta Caves are fairly close to the route (not too much of a de-tour) so are definitely worth looking at.
They look amazing.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 3 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Bad News: I think you may have trouble renting a self-drive car in India.

Good News: You'll get a driver thrown in pretty much for free.

So its good news if you prefer to be driven around. Personally I really wanted to drive myself (road trip with friends), but its fairly difficult to find any self-drive car hire companies... I think Hertz et al might have just started though.

As for your itinerary... depends entirely on what you are interested in. The diversity in stuff to see in India is mindboggling. If you're going by road I would reccommend just buying the Lonely Planet guide, Frommer's guide and a big paper map... and going whereever you find something to interest you!

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Hey 44,

Thanks for the input and advice.
I have a friend out there who runs a business that uses Rickshaws. He has offered us two Rickshaws that are no longer used in his business (but fully functional) so we are considering using those. They have private plates which we believe will allow us to travel across state borders.

Do you have any idea if that is true?

Cheers

posted on Apr, 6 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by george_gaz

That sounds like a lot of fun! I would certainly consider it.

The only thing is that rickshaws are notoriously unsafe and uncomfortable for long stretches of travelling, so you might want to consider modifying them in some way.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
44, I see you are based in London ... me too.

We currently have 2 rickshaws and 5 people so there is an extra space (and we might be getting a third shaw)

It is true that it will be an uncomfortable journey, however, we know this and we are not going on "holiday" as such. We want an adventure
We want to get lost, we want to get into trouble, we want to have a tough time because we know that we are going to see India like other people don't.
We will see beautiful countryside and areas that others do not have the opportunity to see.

Should be great fun, but a tough trip at the same time.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by george_gaz
They have private plates which we believe will allow us to travel across state borders.

Even if the auto has a private license plate, while travelling across state borders you will have to pay the necessary permit fees, and the required documents(insurance, drivers license, road tax etc..). Make sure you take all the important documents including your visa and passport and keep it ready, the policemen are always around the corner waiting for an opportunity to get money from travellers.:bnghd:

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by george_gaz
We currently have 2 rickshaws and 5 people so there is an extra space (and we might be getting a third shaw)

An auto can hold three people comfortably and if willing a person can sit sideways next to the driver in the drivers seat. So, you can manage with two auto's.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

Or bribe the policemen

Oh and be careful when entering Maharashtra... the state police are real bastards about OCTROI (import taxes)... they once tried to tax me for everything I had with me, including the watch on my hand- even though I clearly wasnt planning on selling the stuff inside the state.

posted on Apr, 7 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

I meant the bribe. The policeman will ask to pay 100 ruppees(minimum) as fine, but it is actually the bribe, you wont get any receipt/token for that.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
My friend just got back from both India and Dubai. He loved them both, I will ask him about the places he enjoyed.

[edit on 30-6-2009 by Scooby Doo]

posted on Sep, 19 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Next time just visit karnataka ..Its wonderfull..

posted on Oct, 20 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by george_gaz

Hi George,
India is a truly magnificent place to visit and I am sure that you will love it.
If you are thinking about starting at the Southern tip and driving up the West coast and then crossing over into Nepal, I think that is a massive undertaking which is best done on public transport.

First thing you need to do...

Go buy a copy of "Lonely Planet" guide to India and start reading it. You can plan out your travel route according to this book if you wish. Do not waste your money on any other travel guide... insist on LP

Goa - great for the beaches, markets, craft fairs
Bombay - Great Architecture
For heritage cities in Rajasthan with Architecture, temples, forts/castles, wildlife etc"
Udaipur, Jodpur, Jaisalmer, Jaipur, Agra (Taj Mahal & Fort), Ellora, Adjanta (Buddhist caves), Pushkar (beautiful desert market town). There are many others that you will find but these are some of the most memorable for me.

If you are traveling on to Nepal, you will have to visit Varanasi (changed the name now... Barabas I think??) which is an absolute must see place. You can see the sacred river Ganges snake through the city with its shores dotted with temples and thousands of people performing their daily worship rituals. It is truly breathtaking.

In Varanasi you can get a bus which will take you to Kathmandu through some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. The roads are narrow and steep as they wind up into the lower himallayas and you will be on the bus for 2 days with an overnighter in a small hotel on the border.

I am sure you will enjoy,

NAMASTE,
RK

Edit: Dang it..... should have checked the dates on this thread first... you've probably been there by now

edit on 20-10-2010 by Rigel Kent because: (no reason given)

top topics

join