It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Java and Flash monopoly conspiracy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
What would happen, if for some reason.
Adobe sold all its flash stuff, all the rights, to someone like Jay Rockefeller?
What would happen, if Sun was bought by him?
And all the future Java updates and debugging etc, was now owned by him?
And in order for anyone to use it, they had to sign up and give identification?
What would we use for all the video's and stuff we look at on here?
Would this not give him a large portion of control over the internet?

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
In short, new formats would appear.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
So lets make them now

However the new formats, wouldn't work with existing things.
Places like youtube would block it to be part of the corporate conspiracy.
I guess its kind of like now how some sites need windows media player plugin.
Yet I don't really want it on here because I don't want MS spying on me.
And then you can get the lite alternative to WinMedia.
But some sites block it.
Same with real, even quicktime alternative.
Its like they are trying to trap all these people into this for free.
Then eventually to use it they will have to do some complying.
And if they don't, they lose all there video's and channels etc.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by aLiiEn
So lets make them now

However the new formats, wouldn't work with existing things.
Places like youtube would block it to be part of the corporate conspiracy.
I guess its kind of like now how some sites need windows media player plugin.
Yet I don't really want it on here because I don't want MS spying on me.
And then you can get the lite alternative to WinMedia.
But some sites block it.
Same with real, even quicktime alternative.
Its like they are trying to trap all these people into this for free.
Then eventually to use it they will have to do some complying.
And if they don't, they lose all there video's and channels etc.

Well, if you're concerned about FLV type content, a lot of this can be easily reformatted to non-Flash files and saved offline*. Yes, they'd be bloated and may not be suitable for on-line access, at least they wouldn't be lost completely. Then, soon enough, there'd be other compression formats available which would allow them to be saved in smaller, more web-friendly media types.

*As I don't have broadband, the only way I can realistically view FLV formatted stuff (or anything really) is to rip/download it to my hard-drive and watch from there as opposed to streaming. This has meant I've a large amount of stuff saved and backed-up.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
There are other things available already...microsoft's silverlight has been making some headway to being closer to flash. It also wouldn't give control over a large portion of the internet as a lot of the net is php, asp.net, and xhtml.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
but php and all mentioned.

they are server side script, flash can be used to do malicious damages as well a java and _javascripting.

PHP can only get a certian limit of information of like what browser you are using, you're ip address, you're operating system details ect, it can not actually take control of anything. but flash on the other hand wouldn't surprise me one bit what it could do.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by numo16
There are other things available already...microsoft's silverlight has been making some headway to being closer to flash. It also wouldn't give control over a large portion of the internet as a lot of the net is php, asp.net, and xhtml.

This site has enough Microsoft advertising

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Isn't the point with the FLV media files that the basic player software is made free to every personal user so that Adobe can make money charging sites such as you tube for the licence to use the format??

If you can't keep you public using the format then you can't go asking the business users for money! It's like the old saying people vote with their feet (only now we do it digitally as well)... As I see it alienating Joe Public is the exact opposite of what they should be doing - Very good business sense it to provide a light weight stable format (and FLV is) get the likes of youtube and the news sites yadda yadda relying more and more on it and go for market dominance!

No point asking Joe Blogs for money, cos they will go find something similar for free (or pirate it
) and besides how much money does Joe actually have? The big boys (sky news for example) have mega bucks, they will pay a pretty penny if they know you have either already got your media software on every computer or you provide fast hassle free downloads. It's a very good business model all round... But keeping the public masses on side and care/suspicion free is paramount.

Jeese I think some of that business I studied at college before I dropped out actually went in and stuck

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Obviously, they would charge money for it and install a serial number system.

They would bloat it, and, in the process, insert vulnerabilities. You'd have to get updates on a regular basis. They'd keep a database of whose software is updated.

They would change them to do more with your computer, like "anti-badguy" features, schedule "defragging" or enabling users to "undelete" files. They would do deceptively intrusive things like "phishing protection" or "linkblocker" or some other crap.

Judging by how Flash is used on some sites already, they may very well make it easier to spy on keyboard strokes and mouse clicks, and to be able to tell how long you visit each webpage.

I'm pretty sure they would make it easier to get virues on your system, by making it easier to transfer "music, photos and videos"

Of course, the software would also be better integrated with the comptuer's DRM system.

The biggest thing that they might do, IMO, is ease the transition to Internet 2, by only allowing Flash and Java on websites on a whitelist basis.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Sun Microsystems (Java) is in talks with IBM, not Rockefeller. At this point, your pondering is moot.

IBM in talks to buy Sun Microsystems

Cuhail

new topics

top topics

join