It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where to procure an avatar?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Obviously, as many of you can figure out by the title, I am completely clueless. Here are my questions, and yes, I am to lazy to search in order to see if this has been answered already.

1) Where does someone get an avatar?

2) What exactly is an avatar?

3) Do I have to pay for an avatar?

4) Why to I want an avatar so much?

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by finemanm

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
The great Ashley D made mine for me. All I did was give her the photo I wanted used and she worked her magic and created an awesome piece of avatar art.

There are many other great avatar makers on ATS as well. Like the member before me mentioned (and linked) there is a thread here for what you are looking for.

Good luck and happy avatar hunting.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

Thank you for the link, but it doesn't answer my question. That link seems to tell me how to upload an avatar once I get one.

Problem is I have no idea where to get one. I even googled it with no success. Furthermore, not really sure I understand what an avatar is other than an image that most of you people have on the side of your replies.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by finemanm

Thank you for the link, but it doesn't answer my question. That link seems to tell me how to upload an avatar once I get one.

Problem is I have no idea where to get one. I even googled it with no success. Furthermore, not really sure I understand what an avatar is other than an image that most of you people have on the side of your replies.

An avatar is just a picture used to display a feeling/belief/notion/sillyness outward expression of yourself to the general masses of the forum you frequent.

It can be anything from a picture of yourself, or a picture of something you feel strongly about.

The world is your avatar canvas so to speak.

Or, you can choose to go "avatar-less", nobody looks upon your posts any more or less depending on your choice or lack there of.

Hope that helps.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Ah, ok I think I see what you are asking.

ok, firstly find a picture you like or google avatar and choose one. then go to this thread

I hope this helps in answering your questions

EDIT* addition - no you don't have to pay for an avatar

[edit on 24-3-2009 by QBSneak000]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by finemanm

Ah, got ya now. To me, it's a piece of artwork I like. Mine came off a postcard. Some people design their own and as QBS above said, some posters here make them for others. I think you can use anything unoffensive and not copyrighted, but check the terms and conditions (probably in that link) to be sure.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by finemanm

Many members offer to make avatars for other members in the BTS forum MEMBER ART.

To log in to BTS, use your same user name and password there. No need to register separately. Then check out those threads and ask someone whose style you like to make you an avatar.

That is the way to get a custom ATS avatar. You can also always do Google image searches for avatars, save your favorite, and upload it to your MATS account.

Let me know if you need anything. I make avatars too, as someone else already mentioned. Best of luck.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Thank you all for the information.

I will do some more research based on your thoughful responses. Hopefully, soon I too will have a cool avatar when i post here.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
The easy answer is:

1. Find any digital image that you like (and isn't copyrighted or in violation of the T&C).

2. Crop or size it to 160 (width) by 320 (tall) or less, and check to make sure the file size is less than 75mb.

3. Slap your name or any text you want on it, and save it as a .jpg, .gif, etc.

4. Upload it to your ATS Media account. (Yes, you have one, your login and password are the same as here).

5. After it shows up in "My Pictures" on the media site, copy the URL from where it says "Use this as your ATS avatar" and paste it into the Avatar URL box in your MemCenter. Click on "submit."

6. You now have an avatar.

By the way, you can skep steps 2 and 3 and have any number of other members, such as AshleyD, Roswell1, kinglizard, orange-light, John Q, or myself fix you up with some artwork. Just tell one of us what you like by posting in one of our threads or by u2uing us if you can.

posted on Mar, 25 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by QBSneak000
The great Ashley D made mine for me. All I did was give her the photo I wanted used and she worked her magic and created an awesome piece of avatar art.

She did mine too... I just gave her a rough idea of what i wanted and with a little magic, she created this.

join