It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Q: 'my life has been ruined' UK anti-terror laws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Q: 'my life has been ruined' UK anti-terror laws

www.channel4.com

Channel 4 news, UK:
One man known as 'Q' tells John Sparks how his life was ruined after the government froze his bank account under terror laws.
Your bank accounts are frozen, you need ministerial approval to buy a pair of shoes, and you cannot make any financial transactions - making it virtually impossible to work.
The Treasury can impose this Kafkaesque regime on anyone it suspects of funding terrorism, but without ever bringing charges, or even informing them of the allegations.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
(The web-page also shows the video interview).

This is scary stuff straight out from the plots of the movies & into real life - but surprisingly openly reported in MSM.

Using anti-terror laws the UK Government has the power to take everything away from any indivdual at a moments notice, with no explanation, the guys lawyers were left baffled as to how you can appeal, since the government have no obligation to explain to you why they are doing it.

You get blacklisted by the Treasurey, you have no access to anything of financial value, no access to any of your bank accounts or anything. They make life impossible for you with no real way to defend yourself against the allegations.

OK - it's supposed to be a way to stop terrorists, great; except here is a reported example of people being falsely accused. They really did ruin his life.

Even though he did eventually get 'de-blacklisted' he received no apology, he still cannot get decent work as nobody will employ him just because of the record of the false accusation.

I have 2 main reactions: anger & fear.

Peace & tea

www.channel4.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I wouldn't think this is true.
He could apply to a court to have a reason for the freezing.
And even apply to get out money he needs to live.
Judges can order that stuff.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by BorgHoffen
I wouldn't think this is true.
He could apply to a court to have a reason for the freezing.
And even apply to get out money he needs to live.
Judges can order that stuff.

Yeah like the UK government care about rights. The UK is one of the worst place in the world... along with China. The US is coming along.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by BorgHoffen

Well, you're not half wrong there - it does say in the video that he had to apply to the treasurey & they gave him an 'allowance' through income support benefit, so he could get £20 per week (which is b*gger all really). So he did get some money, just no full access to his own funds. Also, although the Government never did explain what the real reasons were behind it, he did get a judicial review which is how it got overturned & he got de-blacklisted - but he still doesn't actually know himself the real reason why he got blacklisted in the first case.

Obviously as to whether it's really true or not is debateable, it is in the MSM afterall - but for me this is UK Channel 4 news - they're actually quite thorough & believeable. The anchor man here is Jon Snow - this guy is outspoken & quite often right on the money in getting the real story behind what's going on IMO.

I believe it...

Peace & Tea

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Yeah - the UK have been sneeking loads of stuff like this through the back door over the years. UK are just as bad as a whole host of other countries but our government try to appear civillised - but all sorts of shady stuff goes on behind the scenes.

Same old, same old - greedy-power-mad-mofos in charge of us, slowly taking away our liberties a piece at a time.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I wish I was surprised I'm only appalled. We are now guilty until proven innocent, it seems with the removal of Habeas corpus among other changes our freedoms are evaporating.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Hmmm - I may be getting a bit out of my depth here & confused as I am no lawyer - but I think I found the details of the actual law:

UK Government Home Office link:
www.homeoffice.gov.uk...

…which links to…
Anti-terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001 link:
www.opsi.gov.uk...
The Anti-Terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001 (ATCSA) provides stronger powers to police investigating terrorist activity and other serious crime.

…then look on PART 2 Freezing Orders
www.opsi.gov.uk...-l1g1

PART 2 Freezing Orders
4 Power to make order
(1) The Treasury may make a freezing order if the following two conditions are satisfied.

blah…blah – essentially if the Treasury believe that anyone might take the action to hurt UK economy or UK people in any way by a foreign government or person - then they can freeze all your funds/assets.

5 Contents of order
(1) A freezing order is an order which prohibits persons from making funds available to or for the benefit of a person or persons specified in the order.
(2) The order must provide that these are the persons who are prohibited—
(a) all persons in the United Kingdom, and
(b) all persons elsewhere who are nationals of the United Kingdom or are bodies incorporated under the law of any part of the United Kingdom or are Scottish partnerships.

…Blah blah…

(6) Funds are financial assets and economic benefits of any kind.

OK - that's what it says, the treasury can freeze all your assets if they believe you might do something naughty... also in section 10 then 12 just a bit further down it says that to apply/revoke this it has to go in front of parliament;

10 Procedure for making freezing orders.
(1) A power to make a freezing order is exercisable by statutory instrument.
(2) A freezing order— .
(a) must be laid before Parliament after being made;

12 Procedure for revoking orders .A statutory instrument containing an order revoking a freezing order (without re-enacting it) is subject to annulment in pursuance of a resolution of either House of Parliament.

So - big chance I got this wrong & confused & misunderstood - but it looks like the treasury do have the power to do this!

Peace & Tea

[edit on 23/3/2009 by moobaawoof]

new topics

top topics

join