It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Should I Prepare?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
hello all, this is my first post. I've been around the site for a good while, browsing and what not but I've only noticed this topic forum recently, and finally found a reason to post. I live in the middle of nowhere from many peoples' standards.... the closest town is ~10 miles and ~20 miles the other way. Being in my living situation and growing up, my dad taught me a bit about growing plants in a garden and the such, but if I were have to go mobile, or even stay put, I want to be prepared for anything. I've read a bit about these BOBs and want to get one together. There's another thread going on with a list of what he has but it seems too heavy, so I wanted to keep it at a minimum for weight. Any suggestions will help, this afternoon I'll compile a list of what I think should be needed including what is suggested. Thanks for all your help in advance.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Welcome, and nice to meet you!

I think the best thing to ask yourself is: Incase of an emergency- martial law, nuclear war, plague, economic fall out- what are your options.

Since you are outside of the city, it is likely best that you stay where you are in your home, and prepare for the worst by stocking up with essential items that you may need if such a disaster were to happen.

First: I would stock up on atleast 4-6 weeks of prepackaged, canned goods- (ie canned tuna, soups, fruits and veggies). Most canned goods last anywhere from 8 months to a year. Then, buy many gallons of water to keep as storage incase you dont have a well and they shut off your water supply.

Then, depending upon the disaster type you are preparing for- I would stock up on seeds, familiarize yourself with growing your own vegetables (buy a book or two) and have all the neccesary equipment youll need to farm ahead of time.
Square Foot Gardening ATS Thread
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Second: Purchase @ Walmart (best prices) batteries, flashlights, generators, Radios, ax, chainsaw, knifes, bullets, guns, anything you think youll need or want in case of an emergency.

Third: If you are interested in fallout protecting yourself incase of nuclear war, research on the internet what you will need to do to protect yourself.
www.ki4u.com...
emergency.cdc.gov...
www.lifeprepared.com...

I personally have only stocked up on about 3 weeks worth of survival at my home. Its expensive to do. You really need to determine what youll likely to incase of a disaster. I have decided that if the # hits the fan with a bomb that is not in my direct area- that I am heading immediately to the grocery store and gas station. I will spend all my money to stock up on food before people begin to loot and mass chaos ensues. Once somthing like a nuclear bomb hits- everything in our country will shut down. The roadways- the trains- the airplanes- power grids- etc--- stores will run out of food and the only thing you will be able to count on for those few weeks will be what you have stocked for yourself.

My advice isnt to totally freak out and just make sure you have enough food and water set aside incase of a disaster. If you intend to garden your own food supply, try this spring and summer to get it going. That way if the worst does happen- you will already know how to do it and or have it started.

[edit on 22-3-2009 by xynephadyn]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Hi and welcome to ATS.

If ypu will use the search function you will find a plethora of information you need concerning survival.

Nice to have you aboard.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Estharik
hello all, this is my first post. I've been around the site for a good while, browsing and what not but I've only noticed this topic forum recently, and finally found a reason to post. I live in the middle of nowhere from many peoples' standards.... the closest town is ~10 miles and ~20 miles the other way. Being in my living situation and growing up, my dad taught me a bit about growing plants in a garden and the such, but if I were have to go mobile, or even stay put, I want to be prepared for anything. I've read a bit about these BOBs and want to get one together. There's another thread going on with a list of what he has but it seems too heavy, so I wanted to keep it at a minimum for weight. Any suggestions will help, this afternoon I'll compile a list of what I think should be needed including what is suggested. Thanks for all your help in advance.

Start by looking at threads to do with EDC, Every Day Carry, from there you can expand your EDC kit into a BOB, INCH, GOOD or whatever type of kit you need. also there has been at least ten threads started in recent months about the contents of BOBs, it will only take tyou a few minutes to find em and go through them. Welcome to the club
NR

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Bugger it, heres a few artcicles to help you get started.

Basic essential tools for BOB’s

This list does not include weaponry, clothing, food, footwear, tentage, etc
It is ONLY the basic ESSENTIAL tools required to start building a Bug Out Bag with.
1. Fixed Blade Knife
2. Folding Blade Knife
3. Knife Sharpener and silicone oil
4. Folding Woodsaw
5. Secatuers or Pruning Shears
6. Compass in mils and degrees
7. Maps with bug out routes marked out
8. Binoculars (possibly a camera as well)
9. AM/FM/ Radio (spare batteries if required)
10. LED Flashlights (spare batteries if required)
11. Analogue Watch (solar or self winder)
12. Eye protection ( Shades, Prescription glasses etc)
13. Multi Tool
14. K.F.S or Spork
15. Tin opener / Bottle opener
16. Water Bottle and Mug
17. Water Filter and Water Purification tablets
18. First Aid Kit plus Prescription Medicines
19. Survival Guide, Notebook and Pen and Sharpie type marker
20. Mini Cooker and Spare Fuel
21. Cook pots, Mess Tins and washing up kit
22. Climbing Rope, Paracord, Cable Ties and Duct Tape
23. Storm Proof Lighter , Spare Fuel, Matches, Flint & Steel
24. Chemical Light Sticks/Candles( in a mini lantern to keep them safely in)
25. Personal hygiene kit ( soap, deodorant, toothbrush, razor, towel etc
26. 2 way radios plus spare batteries / Solar power recharger
27. Sleeping Bag and Liner / campamat/ groundsheet.
28. Disposable Dust masks / Bandana
29. Rubbish Bags and Cleaning Cloths
30. Babywipes ( better than toilet paper and more useful)

Other items to be considered are firearms (law permitting) batons, sprays, work gloves, goggles, Personal clothing including waterproofs and changes of Socks/ Underwear, Hats, loves, Feminine Hygiene Materials, Tents, Food Rations, Radiation and Nox detectors, boots/ shoes, Extra rope/food/fuel/water/medical kit/tarpaulins/tools/ammo etc to be shared among group or family.

Don’t forget to take your essential family documents such as deeds, passports, bonds, CCWs, insurance docs etc.

Where possible please try to get radios, flashlights etc that use a standard size commonly available battery like AA or CR123A.
Please feel free to adapt , add to or amend this brief list to meet your own needs.

Respects NR

BOB Tool List

Baton 1
Fixed Blade Knife 1
Folding Knife 1
Multi Tool 1
Knife Sharpener 1
Flashlight +Batteries 2
Lighter + Fuel 2
Light Sticks 10
Maps + Compass 3+2
Prybar 1
Folding Saw 1
Trowel 1
Binoculars 1
AM / FM Radio 1
Goggles,Gloves, Mask 1ea
Paracord, Ties, Tape Set
Script Specs + Shades 1
Medical Kit 1
Hygiene Kit 1
Cooking Kit 1
Mini Cooker + Fuel 1
Metal Mug / Pot 1
Spork 1ea
Carabiner 3
Rope 10m
Bandana 1

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Survival Small Bug out Bag

Cordura nylon multi pocket travel bag
Cold Steel Extra Large Voyager Tanto
AKM Bayonet (modified)
4 X magnification mini field glasses
Multi tool with plier head (Gerber 600 / Legend)
Multi tool with pruning head (Stanley)
Flashlight (Madjak) plus bulbs and CR123 batteries
Inova X 5 Flashlight (5 led) plus CR123 batteries
Samsung E 800 Cellphone
Assorted Chemical light sticks
Water Purification Tablets
Rations (boil in bag and freeze dried)
Condiments and drinks sachets
Windproof butane lighters x 2
Hexamine cooker
Knife sharpener (Gerber)
Maps and scans all laminated (OS Landrangers 1:50,000)
Silva Type 4/54 compass in mils and degrees (6400 & 360)
Survival instructions
Survival book (Mini SAS Survival Manual)
Notebook and Pen (Sharpy)
Waterproofed matches in film canister.
Magnesium block and striker
35 mm film canister filled with Vaseline soaked cotton wool balls
Medical kit (expedition size)
Spare prescription specs
Paracord 50 meters
Large Fiskars folding wood saw
Ziplock bags
Small tin with button compass, signal mirror, spare batteries
Telescopic baton
Shemagh / Bandana
Sony ICF-B200 Wind up / Battery powered radio / spare batteries
Tactical gloves (KONA)
Barnett Trident 75 LB pistol crossbow / spare prod/ strings and 50 bolts.
Personal Hygiene Kit (soap, razor, toothbrush and paste, deodorant)
Pack of Baby Wipes (better than toilet paper)
Spare underwear & socks

I have a second bag that attaches to this one containing more clothes
The list above is supplementary to my EDC kit.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
In the event of a biological attack, stock up on vitamins and supplements. But what I can really recommend is to make sure you have enough vitamin E. Megadoses (1000-2000 iu or more) of it will really power up your immune system.

[edit on 3/22/2009 by eldard]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
first all thanks for your posts, I'll look into the links in a bit seeing how I just got home but I compiled a quick list from what I have so far vs. what I feel I might need. a couple things listed by other members I didn't know what they meant or what it would be used for... or it wouldn't be used around here (i.e. climbing rope, no use in louisiana heh).

have
-----
hunting knife
folding pocket knife
knife sharpener
binoculars
mini am/fm radio (AAA)
LED light (shake charge)
shades
plant grade air filter
prybar
goggles
water flask
can/bottle opener
zippo w/ fuel
nitrile gloves
notebook w/ sharpie

need
------
compass
watch (analog/winding)
sturdy belt
belt multi-tool
survival guide
portable water filter
first aid kit
mess kit
Personal hygiene kit ( soap, deodorant, toothbrush, razor, towel etc
sleeping bag
chemical light sticks
water purification apparatus
tactical gloves
rations (or ramen!)
firearm + ammo
vitamin supplements

forgive me if the format is wrong, but if I have left anything out anyone feels I might need please let me know, I'm going to get my pack together here soon and see how well I can get around with it, I doubt I can afford a firearm or a large supply of rations at the point but to at least be on the up side of prepared would be good with me =D I have to look into a water purification tool and where to find a mess kit.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I dont know where in la you are but if your near the bayous,like the south east,some clohrine for disinfection,for body,gear and water source..and a snake bite kit..Just in case you have to trapse around the lowlands..Alot of fungle infections can occur from the stagnent scum from the swamps....some rope or para cord is usefull to have regaurdless of elevation or climbing needs..

[edit on 23-3-2009 by Redpillblues]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Heres a link to another thread where we discussed gear. Browse it and maybe you will get some ideas for things you'll need.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Oh and welcome to ATS and the survival forum. If you have any questions feel free to ask. We're here to help.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by xynephadyn

First: I would stock up on atleast 4-6 weeks of prepackaged, canned goods- (ie canned tuna, soups, fruits and veggies). Most canned goods last anywhere from 8 months to a year. Then, buy many gallons of water to keep as storage incase you dont have a well and they shut off your water supply.

Stocking up on premade stuff is fine. However, you have no idea what type of seeds the companies use to produce your foods. Better idea is to grow your own and preserve it. Short term product stockpiling is fine. But long term you will want to learn to grow/hunt/fish your own and learn how to keep it. Cheaper as well.

Also, who buys gallons upon gallons of water for storage? Tap water with a little bleach lasts a long time. Save milk jugs or buy some heavy duty plastic water containers and make your own. Again, cheaper and better in the long run. If you have a well. Good for you. Find a way to have a hand pump backup in case the power goes down.

Second: Purchase @ Walmart (best prices)

I make no secret on here that I am against any big box store. With that said. When it comes to survival prep and stocking, I have found it very useful to shop at local, small "mom and pop" places. Especially if you are new.

Many times the proprietors or the employees are survivalists themselves and are much more helpful and can steer you in the right direction. Faceless boneheads at WalMart only care about what time they clock out, not if you have the best pick axe that has been tested by them. May cost a little more, but in the end the friendships, knowledge, and a "go-to" for gear questions can prove invaluable.

top topics

join