It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military demands details on soldiers' private guns

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by CA_Orot

If they live off post like the soldier who was quoted in the article, then they have no reason to get that info.

If you live on post then you have to. All weapons on post must be accounted for.

I still think this was some new officer taking command and misinterpeted the SOP.

A brand new officer is no differant then a brand new private. Neither one nows anything.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

Can you imagine the outrage if someone took a picture of me walking out of a gunsmith shop downtown, carrying my hunting rifle while wearing my uniform.

I can picture it posted on ATS already with 20 pages of people saying this is the start of martial law.

Common sense does apply to that rule.

I know, seriously! When I see the uniform, I feel at home amongst the overall greatest grouping of individuals on the face of this Earth. I also know how proud the uniform can truly make one feel.

Yet, I see other individuals, even on here, and when they witness an Airman,Marine, Soldier, Sailor, or Coastie walking down the street in Cammies, they react as if the only place you should encounter such a thing is in Iraq or Afghanistan. They must believe that every Service member should never be clothed in anything but a Dress Uniform.

The Base CO must have an account on ATS lol, or at least a good feel for the abundance of paranoia lately.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
If they live off post like the soldier who was quoted in the article, then they have no reason to get that info.

If you live on post then you have to. All weapons on post must be accounted for.

Oh agreed. Living on Base is different then living off, that is for sure. If a soldier is living off-base then it's none of their business.

- Carrot

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:37 AM
link   
On Post and Off should be identical, or are our military brethren less than us? I would say, more than us..... Course having been one I could be biased.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by HimWhoHathAnEar

Don't police officers have to register their private firearms with their department?

Same thing.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by scoopkill
The military has no right to know if you have a privately owned firearm or not.

Yes, but they have a need, it seems. Not very hard to imagine why.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Yep it is a need.

They need to have a count of each and every weapon on Post. It is Federal property.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
wow...thank GOD the upper echelon caught this before this CO was allowed to run wild. I can't even imagine my response back when I was active to such a stupid request. I will tell you this..my Article 15 would of been SOOOO worth it....lol

[edit on 3/22/2009 by rcwj75]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

Why would you get so upset?

A soldier pointed out that the Commander was wrong and the order was recended.

No one got uppity about it and the situation was solved with cool heads. I still don't see how this rated as news.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Well I was in the older ARMY..lol..officers, especially new ones wouldnt have come asking for my personal weapon information. They would of come demanding it, threating this and that, etc...so I guess I assumed thats how this CO was too....if they did solve it with level heads and this CO accepted being wrong then I agree....cooler heads will prevail.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
reply to post by jd140

Well I was in the older ARMY..lol..officers, especially new ones wouldnt have come asking for my personal weapon information. They would of come demanding it, threating this and that, etc...so I guess I assumed thats how this CO was too....if they did solve it with level heads and this CO accepted being wrong then I agree....cooler heads will prevail.

Yep,

Thats why I said in an earlier post that this was probably a brand new officer thrown into a command posistion who did not fully understand the SOP.

A new officer is just as bad as a new pv1. Both don't know anything.

He probably was executing an order given by his commander to get the info from those who live on post and he didn't fully understand what the task was.

Tell a PV1 brand new in the unit what to do and chances are he is going to FUBAR his task.

So will a new officer.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by scoopkill

Silly NWO types. There majic capes are about to catch on fire. Whether their playing the role of Batman or Robin, foolishness always leads to the fooled. Funny how people of 'Power' always end up becoming their own worst enemy in 'their' End. There always trying to see what they can get away with. I'm sure another false flag is just around the corner. That'll get burned too. That majic curtain they've been hiding behind is on fire too.

Wonder what the new world currency is going to look like? Wonder which bosses da boss is going to allow us to choose from next? Gee boss, well you tell us what's next? Can we get a peak at that playbook they gave you? Maybe we can help? There's Billions of US ready and willing to do the right thing?

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
First thing: There is no "privacy" in the military.

Second: This is nothing new. Every privately owned firearm (especially when being kept on base/post) must be registered through your command.

Soldiers don't exactly have the same "freedoms" of the avarage citizen. Their command has every right to do this.

This article is probably taken way out of context as not everyone whithin the command has the right to do this (i.e. some random E4 or butterbars wanting paperwork on your firearm) , but the command in genereal has every right to inventory, request registration, inspect every inch of your belongings, even ration your food.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by M0n0lyth
First thing: There is no "privacy" in the military.

Second: This is nothing new. Every privately owned firearm (especially when being kept on base/post) must be registered through your command.

Soldiers don't exactly have the same "freedoms" of the avarage citizen. Their command has every right to do this.

This article is probably taken way out of context as not everyone whithin the command has the right to do this (i.e. some random E4 or butterbars wanting paperwork on your firearm) , but the command in genereal has every right to inventory, request registration, inspect every inch of your belongings, even ration your food.

NOT. None of that stuff you're describing was ever practiced anywhere I went in the military. Next you'll be saying they have every right to come over and inspect a soldiers wife for STD's or something. Get a grip!

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by HimWhoHathAnEar

Yeah, I don't remember any of that stuff happening.

Its obvious he is talking out his butt with no expierance at all. Notice he called an E4 a butter bar.

posted on Mar, 28 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
could we have an accurate thread title - to reflect that a single officer made this demand of a single company

this is not ` the military ` it is most likley one newly promoted CO making a hash of reading the huge stack of additional paperwork and responsibility that comes with his new command

top topics

<< 1   >>

join