It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holder plans to release Guantanamo prisoners in US

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
It seems Eric Holder has some sort of a plan on what to do with some of the suspected terrorist prisoners being held at Guantanamo Bay. He's is considering releasing them in the US!

online.wsj.com...

Does anybody understand this line of thinking? I am wondering if they will be given a green card or even citizenship. These men were captured fighting against Americans and now Eric Holder is going to let them live here. Politics aside, this seems completely idiotic.

I honestly hope Holder is just flying off at the mouth as he is known to do.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by slicobacon

Firstly, not everyone in Guantanamo Bay was caught fighting against Americans. Even if they were, they were doing it while we were effectively invading their country.

I understand your resistance; from the tone of your post, I presume you support the secret detention at Guantanamo. So you condoned the kidnapping, imprisonment, and torture of people who ultimately were found guilty of.... nothing. I can see why you'd be afraid to have these people, who probably have nothing to lose and quite a grudge, loose in America.

Personally, I think that if we're badass enough to torture people, we should be badass enough to accept the consequences when we are unable to convict people we torture of wrongdoing.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by '___'eviant

And by the tone of your post you don't consider them enemy combatants, they should just be tried in the same court as purse snatchers? Then maybe we can give them a green card a job and a place to live here in the US?

No- I don't want them here. In case you missed it - there were reasons we were in their country fighting them that don't need to be rehashed again. The point is - they have NO RIGHT in the US. Period.

If the Obama clan wants to close Gitmo fine - leave those enemy combatants there for Uncle Fidel to take care of just like he did with his prisoners.

Maybe you should open your doors to them?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Wow, since they are enemy combatants as you state, please provide evidence of this claim, and not some CNN report in which they got told what to report.

Show me witnesses, bank statements of cash infusions, etc.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

The only evedence needed is the fact that they were captured in combat by military troops. Hence the term. Bank account details are hardly a factor.

Agree or disagree with the war, these people were captured as enemy combatants fighting against US forces and have no right to be in the US.

You can argue the political side of this all you want, bring up how W lied and Haliburton is evil BUT - those are no grounds to release those people in the US. Send them back to the country they were fighting for.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Lawrence B. Wilkerson, former chief of staff to Secretary of State Colin Powell, writes in The Washington Note about “the utter incompetence of the battlefield vetting in Afghanistan” during the early days of U.S. operations there. “Simply stated, no meaningful attempt at discrimination was made in-country by competent officials, civilian or military, as to who we were transporting to Cuba for detention and interrogation.”

Having too few adequately trained troops and civilians, combined with pressure from then-Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and others to “just get the bastards to the interrogators” meant lots of hasty abductions of the wrong people, many of whom were sent to the U.S. detention facility at Guantanamo Bay.

Enough said really.

Former State Department Official Says United States Knew Many Gitmo Prisoners were Innocent

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by slicobacon
reply to post by jhill76

The only evedence needed is the fact that they were captured in combat by military troops. Hence the term. Bank account details are hardly a factor.

Agree or disagree with the war, these people were captured as enemy combatants fighting against US forces and have no right to be in the US.

You can argue the political side of this all you want, bring up how W lied and Haliburton is evil BUT - those are no grounds to release those people in the US. Send them back to the country they were fighting for.

Perhaps you might be interested in this.....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

However I seriously doubt if Bush apologist will believe it.
Ideology somehow is able to block reason and critical thought that
fall outside the conservative paradigm.

[edit on 19-3-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Its really irrelevant if anyone believes they are guilty or innocent. That is apparently decided by ones political leanings.

This may interest some:

www.acus.org...

Want to open your doors for them? I don't.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by slicobacon
reply to post by '___'eviant

they should just be tried in the same court as purse snatchers?

I think they should be tried. Period. I don't care if it's at the International Warcrimes Tribunal, or on Judge Judy.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
If they're not guilty of any crimes then they'll likely be pretty ticked off at how they've been treated and at us. If they are killers well then we get more killers on the streets. If they are innocent and very forgiving we get a bunch of bodies flooded onto a country with unemployment increasing and costs rising. In any situation this isnt a good thing.

I wonder, will this be before or after Holder disarms all of us?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I say go ahead and release them in the US.

The perfect spot is 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Holder releases them, Obama houses them, DHS gives them green cards, Labor department gives them jobs in White House, CIA gives them spy equipment, and the Veteran's Department can give them benefits for the injuries they sustained during the war and time in prison.

top topics

join