It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Signs Law Banning Federal Embryo Research Two Days After Signing Executive Order to OK It

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

What Obama did allows funding for stem cell research from the embryos that are destined to be destroyed in fertilization labs and IVF clinics. He is not allowing the funding of the CREATION of embryos for the expressed purpose of research, but the use of embryos already set to be destroyed.

I am sorry none of this makes any sense to me.

I am confused, I don't understand why is stem cell research from the embryos is unethical, yet abortion is legal?

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma

It by no means contradicts his lifting of funding for research and he is NOT blowing in the wind but actually creating necessary safeguards.

So if necessary safeguards are needed is Embryo Research morally good or bad?

Bush saw them as morally wrong, and so prevented them all. Obama, I guess, also then see a morally wrong side to it too, or direction that this type of research could lead to moral issues. But like everything else once you pop the cork there is no stopping the flow.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

What Obama did allows funding for stem cell research from the embryos that are destined to be destroyed in fertilization labs and IVF clinics. He is not allowing the funding of the CREATION of embryos for the expressed purpose of research, but the use of embryos already set to be destroyed.

I am confused, I don't understand why is stem cell research from the embryos is unethical, yet abortion is legal?

Yes, I would hate to see us go down the morally wrong direction that Embryo farming becomes a form of birth control.....wait...Abortions is a form of birth control, so never mind.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Yes, I would hate to see us go down the morally wrong direction that Embryo farming becomes a form of birth control.....wait...Abortions is a form of birth control, so never mind.

Are you confused too?

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I'm not sure whether the 'common person' understanding thsi matters particularly. I'm pretty sure the 'common person' wouldn't really understand most legislation that is passed. It's directed at the industries it regulates --- in this case the bio-research field.

Others, with their own agendas, bring these things up with the intent to smear/discredit the Presdient and his efforts. They COUNT on the fact that people won't understand.

For example, Judd Gregg (Obama's Republican nominee for Commerce Secretary) was on national news a few weeks ago commenting on Obama's proposal to change the tax structure --- placing a higher burden on those making over $250K/year. Governor Gregg raised the example of a restaurant owner saying that the higher tax rate would cause that restaurant owner to have to layoff employees.

Say WHAT??? Does the Governor REALLY believe that a business is taxed on its gross receipts? Does he not realize that business DEDUCT their expenses before taxes? Has he never SEEN a Schedule-C? Is he really this big of a numb-nut or is he counting on the fact that the 'common people' will believe this?

I know for a fact that people WILL believe his statement. Many made identical comments during the campaign right here on ATS. So, the bottom line is, the Obama Administration is trying to take the handcuffs off the medical research establishment while at the same time establishing some ethics rules to prevent embryo farming. But the detractors are deperate to cast asparagus at every opportunity (pun intended).

<< 1   >>

join